Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If only there was more footage. Only ones we see are in the films where we get an idea on his speed and technique. I enjoy hearing his contemporaries. My favorite was from none other than his co-star Jim Kelly.

He parries, counters, trips, and lands another shot all in one motion.

http://i.imgur.com/MTle5ip.gifv

EDIT: Found a video of the gif.

Reactions: Spite and hadoq

·
Super Moderator
8,141 Posts
He parries, counters, trips, and lands another shot all in one motion.
Lands another 2 shots in that sequence, but you can't see them unless slowed.

Heres a video with commentary

Reactions: No_Mercy

·
Administrator
15,543 Posts
But who was he fighting? For all we know this guy was just an average student of his or some other random martial artist. Even Andy Wang looks pretty good next to a guy who isn't experienced or hasn't fought much if at all.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But who was he fighting? For all we know this guy was just an average student of his or some other random martial artist. Even Andy Wang looks pretty good next to a guy who isn't experienced or hasn't fought much if at all.
Believe he's sparring with his student Ted Wong who is no slouch. They were required to wear head gear and body gear. I'm pretty sure Bruce would have been fine with bare knuckles. He probably would have knocked out every fighter there who were accustomed to a point fighting system. If you think about it, his style is super advanced in that he has to know what his opponent is looking to do then counter simultaneously. That's insanely hard to do and requires, composure, precise timing, and technique. He's always an arms length away so he obviously understood distance, then knew what to counter with and how at the precise moment.

As the video stated Bruce also understood disrupting the rhythm. This is something Max was doing against Jose utilizing his speed, Jorge vs Cowboy, TJ vs Renan Barao big time, and Dominick Cruz. Dominick has the strangest timing of all the fighters. If it was point sparring Dominick would beat everybody on the UFC roster.

Lands another 2 shots in that sequence, but you can't see them unless slowed.

Heres a video with commentary

Nice find, I wanted to see him in an offensive mode. He is lightening quick man.

·
The Title Guy
17,649 Posts
I was just reading up on how Bruce Lee even during his training cross trained in a few different disciplines including Wing Chun and traditional forms of western boxing. Also as many people know one of his original martial arts Shifu's Yip Man or Ip Man is considered a legend in his own right. The question of what would have happened had Bruce Lee not died is an interesting question.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
All I think when I hear about how amazing his training is, is Sage Northcutt Vs Bryan Barberena. You can be the best martial artist of all time. Do incredible feats of strength, endurance, speed and everything. You can look lightning fast in everything you do, and have expert level teachings. But Bruce Lee and half the planet at the time would have probably stepped into that cage and got smashed into oblivion by Tank Abbot or some shit.

·
The Title Guy
17,649 Posts
Unfortunately we will never know so we will have to rely on EA UFC for the time being. Though to be fair it's possible that he could win nine times out of ten against Tank Abbott. If there is a simulator it would be interesting to run.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
Unfortunately we will never know so we will have to rely on EA UFC for the time being. Though to be fair it's possible that he could win nine times out of ten against Tank Abbott. If there is a simulator it would be interesting to run.
It's possible he could lose 100/100 too. We're talking a guy who only lost one fight to a non legend (Maurice Smith now counts since he's HOF) in his original run, and everyone else he absolutely smashed. We're talking him fighting a guy who's got very little live combat experience.

It's funny to me that we've got Bruce Lee, this paragon of progressiveness. A man hailed as being the only person to ever cross train (despite the fact that no martial art in history is developed without cross training). He's such a genius for practising other styles. If only people did something like that these days, they'd surely be respected for it right? Right? *sits back and laughs at reactions to recent news*

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fact that he implements what he teaches is way ahead of the times. Almost all martial artists and philosophers alike have a dogmatic approach. Comparing someone nearly half a century ago to the present day is comical. Everything progresses overtime; technology, biological adaptation, intelligence, etc.

He laid out the foundation then which still applies today.

·
The Title Guy
17,649 Posts
I'm sure he still would've adjusted cause Jeet Kun Do is the style with no style. That is how he advertised it. It was all about adjusting to a fighters style.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
The fact that he implements what he teaches is way ahead of the times. Almost all martial artists and philosophers alike have a dogmatic approach. Comparing someone nearly half a century ago to the present day is comical. Everything progresses overtime; technology, biological adaptation, intelligence, etc.

He laid out the foundation then which still applies today.
This. I'm comparing it, but only because we're acting like because he was cool in training that he could somehow suddenly compete in a high level competitive sport. For all we know, he had no chin, no heart and no in-ring cardio. How can anyone ever claim he was a great "fighter".

As a martial artist, he seemed fantastic. Nothing revolutionary or ground breaking as advertised though. Lee sounds like a lot of senseis across the world. He's a different calibre of martial artist than most of them for sure, but his teachings, implementations of martial arts and essentially everything else wasn't exactly "ahead of it's time". We're acting like doing two martial arts, or being open to martial arts from various disciplines, is something that was never accepted. Anyone who lives in a small town where one class closed and a new one opened up had experienced that. There was certainly some closed mindedness in some parts of martial arts, and still is, but the idea of taking different ideas and concepts from other martial arts predates Lee by thousands of years.

I'm sure he still would've adjusted cause Jeet Kun Do is the style with no style. That is how he advertised it. It was all about adjusting to a fighters style.
But he might have been KOed by a jab so who cares how he'd have adjusted? He never in his entire life competed against someone as good of a fighter as any of the 500+ fighters in the UFC today. You can't just assume he'd have been able to propel to that level. There are much more experienced and much stronger guys who fell in the early beginnings of MMA because they couldn't handle the different aspects of the sport.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Looks rigged af, typical of martial arts demos from the pre MMA era. One guy walking around looking threatening but doing nothing other than falling, the other guy pulling punches and still the other guy goes flailing.

Sparring gear doesn't make choreography any more legit.

·
The Title Guy
17,649 Posts
Well as you pointed out this was an exhibition match so no point in debating whether it was legit or worked considering in the end it doesn't matter.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
Admittedly he would've has size issues when the UFC came around cause even Royce Gracie was larger then him.
If we're talking Bruce Lee in UFC 1, this is essentially what we're talking about:-

Bruce Lee had no grappling experience. So "rolling with Gene LePell" once doesn't stop him from being tapped within the first 2 minutes by Royce or Shamrock. Jason DeLucia's track record is sort of proven since UFC so I'd say his grappling calibre was high enough too,

So let's talk strikers.

Gerard Gordeau, a Dutch Karate World Champ for 7 years and a European and World Savate Champ before the event. Wikipedia seems to say he had 31 fights on record before the event.

Kevin Rosier, a multiple time world kickboxing champion with a couple of professional boxing fights to his name.

Patrick Smith, wikipedia bills his kickboxing record at 65-4 prior to UFC 1.

Art Jimmerson, professional boxer with a record of 29-5

Zane Frazier, national karate and kickboxing champion as well as world karate champion.

Trent Jenkins, no idea.

Teila Tuli, sure Bruce would have likely beat him probably maybe.

But outside of Jenkins and Tuli, and the grapplers who would have likely won and submitted him quickly...who exactly are we saying Bruce Lee was a better striker than?

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
So you're saying he is overrated?
Yes, he is a fighting legend of his own marketing creation, much like other actors such as JCVD and Seagal.

He had some nice fighting philosophies but the man would have been destroyed by the best fighters of his time, let alone the ones of today. He was an actor, fitness celebrity and philosopher, not a proven fighter, but this discussion has been done to death on the internet already.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts