Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
Yeah i think youn guys are right. But for every video like this one there are 100 where butterbean rocks guys. His power makes tank look like a school girl. His problem as we saw are kicks. He isn't used to them. that looks like a really old fight. he looked way better versus cabbage which is also a old fight. Shows he is learning.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
Butterbean getting taken to school by any current serious MMA guy shouldn't be a suprise at all. It just goes to show that you've got to train in more than one thing to stand a chance in MMA. I'm kinda' happy for the guy, actually. His niche here in the U.S. is gone (boxing on a whole is at a decline), so if he gets to do something with what he's got and still make himself some honest cash--God bless him. Same with the other freaks like Zuluzhino, Akebono, et al.

I just don't want to see any of them in any sort of contending match. As long as that doesn't happen, all is fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Onganju said:
Butterbean getting taken to school by any current serious MMA guy shouldn't be a suprise at all. It just goes to show that you've got to train in more than one thing to stand a chance in MMA. I'm kinda' happy for the guy, actually. His niche here in the U.S. is gone (boxing on a whole is at a decline), so if he gets to do something with what he's got and still make himself some honest cash--God bless him. Same with the other freaks like Zuluzhino, Akebono, et al.

I just don't want to see any of them in any sort of contending match. As long as that doesn't happen, all is fine.

I agree 100% except I would scrutinize his fights and his ability to defend himself more thoroughly if I was in charge at K-1. It was looking pretty pathetic, not funny at all to me. Butterbean was looking like a beat fighter about 2 minutes into that fight, I give him credit for continuing. People that are not properly trained to compete in MMA are in for serious injury if they compete long enough.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
Keithpas said:
I agree 100% except I would scrutinize his fights and his ability to defend himself more thoroughly if I was in charge at K-1. It was looking pretty pathetic, not funny at all to me. Butterbean was looking like a beat fighter about 2 minutes into that fight, I give him credit for continuing. People that are not properly trained to compete in MMA are in for serious injury if they compete long enough.
The ironic thing about that would be the fact that he stands more of a chance being seriously injured in a Striking contest than a MMA contest at this juncture. He's a tough man for sure (no pun intended), but in a contest that won't stop until you're forcibly put down that can get you hurt faster than it will get you famous.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Odd fight!!!

I respect Butterbean as a warrior. It seems that he is willing to throw down with anyone. I would hope that he has been training seriously for MMA and he really feels that this could be competitive. I'm not saying that he should fight chumps only, but maybe he could have asked to be matched up more appropriately with someone who has more of a striking background and not such a strong chin. The point that I am trying to make is that it is normally more entertaining to watch Butterbean knock out a super muscular and well-conditioned athlete who has very little boxing experience than it is to watch him get beat on by a highly trained kickboxer. Besides Fedor this might have been the worst opponent for him.

Good luck Butterbean! If anybody has a punchers chance it's you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Onganju said:
The ironic thing about that would be the fact that he stands more of a chance being seriously injured in a Striking contest than a MMA contest at this juncture. He's a tough man for sure (no pun intended), but in a contest that won't stop until you're forcibly put down that can get you hurt faster than it will get you famous.

I agree with you 100% but in a boxing slugfest the guy would not be softened up with those nasty leg kicks. The stats don;t lie, no deaths or serious injuries in a sanctioned MMA fight but boxing's history of death and brain damage is well documented.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Organik said:
The ONLY reason why Pride put this on the fight card is so there will be a KO to attract and entertain the American fans who dont appreciate the grappling part like the japanse crowd
couldnt agree more...

a sad sight...its like watching an animal being tortured...but i must give him credit for attempting a sport beyond his abilities...IMO, he looks a lot more promising than bob sapp (experience and body to results-wise)...bob trains MMA and kickboxing, but butterbean looks like hes still making the transition...i still respect him; somewhat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts