Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cain, JDS, Fedor, Mir...These guys naturallly weigh ~235-240lbs - can they reign over 280+lb guys like Brock and Shane? I don't think they can. Brock has shown that he's vulnerable on his feet, and Shane has shown that he struggles if he can't get the quick KO, so I guess there's a chance that both could be beaten by one of the smaller guys, but in the long run, I don't think they're capable of staying at the top for any length of time, simply because they're not big enough.

IMO, It's going to take a 280lb guy with the skill set of guys like Cain/JDS/Fedor to reign over the HW division - I'm sure there is a young guy out there somewhere training who will be that guy in 5 years, but until then, I think Brock and Shane are the two alpha dogs in the HW division.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i totally agree with you...Cain is too small which is why he is going to loose. It is not that Lesnar has any striking skills but he is a very big guy who is a tremendous athlete.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
So then we will have a SHW division of only two athletes, Brock and Shane and then some fat guys?

Both Brock and Shane showed that they are completely beatable. Lesnar is not the monster that he could be. Neither is Carwin. JDS has all the tools to put Lesnar to sleep. The only thing the other HW's need to learn how to do is to wrestle. Mir also needs to learn how to not block Lesnar's punches with his face.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
have you seen couture vs sylvia?

a 220lb couture dominates a +265lb sylvia for 5 rounds straight. that fight is proof that size doesn't always matter.

valesquez has fought and beaten bigger men. he ragdolled rothwell like he was a child. dos santos doesn't really need huge size, his speed and power is enough to ktfo anyone.

lesnar and carwin are the only exeptional big heavies i can think of. if it wasn't for lesnar and carwin this debate wouldn't even exist.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Anyone who thinks that a tub o' lard like Tim Sylvia in any way is comparable to Brock Lesnar is surely drinkin' that hater-ade.
that was just an example. if you want another one how about Mir/Lesnar I. lesnar would have outweighed mir by close to 30lbs come fight night, yet mir still managed to make the behemoth tap.

guys like sakuraba, nogueira, minowaman and royce gracie have made a career out of beating bigger men. dan henderson a natural middleweight fought his best fights at LHW. theres so many examples i could go on forever.

the fact is its not the size that matters, its who the better fighter is on the night.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Brock and Shane are really the only 265lb+ fighters with actual skills so I don't see it as a problem. They also showed weaknesses that can very easily be exploited by JDS, Cain, or even Fedor.

It'll start to be a problem when more skilled 265ers come into the UFC. But I honestly don't see that happening anytime soon. It takes a special breed of people to be able to fight at 265+ and go more than a few minutes. The Ultimate Fighter heavyweight season displayed this nicely.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you seen couture vs sylvia?

a 220lb couture dominates a +265lb sylvia for 5 rounds straight. that fight is proof that size doesn't always matter.

valesquez has fought and beaten bigger men. he ragdolled rothwell like he was a child. dos santos doesn't really need huge size, his speed and power is enough to ktfo anyone.

lesnar and carwin are the only exeptional big heavies i can think of. if it wasn't for lesnar and carwin this debate wouldn't even exist.
Legit points, but neither Sylvia or Rothwell are lean, well rounded athletes.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I disagree.

Brock has very, very sick control on the ground. Excellent.

But his shot sucks. And his standup is horrible. Brock has to get you down to dominate you. And that's going to be hard against JDS and Cain.

I think we will have a different HW champion who's already successfully defended at least once this time next year.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cain/JDS/Fedor are NOT to small to reign the HW division.
It's ridiculous.
Skill is much more important and these 3 have tons of it.
Skills important, but size matters...these guys are giving up 50lbs at fight time...can you imagine anderson silva at 185 fighting a 135 guy? Or even a 155lb guy if you want to use percentage? No way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts