Votes: 69 67.6%
  • Cain

Votes: 33 32.4%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is, can he stop Brock's takedown? If Cain can stop it, he will beat Lesnar. That's a big "if" of course but certainly relevant as Brock displayed a very rudimentary stand-up game. He reacted hideously to being hit and showed the worst possible instincts by, literally, running away (with his back turned at one point). He freaked out, plain and simple. Knowing this, it should be obvious that if Cain can stop/avoid Brock's takedown, Cain isn't just going to win...he will annihilate Lesnar.

Now, Carwin stopped Brock's takedown through pure strength but Cain's quicker, smarter, and, more importantly, a better wrestler than Carwin, so I think he has a great chance at doing it. I mean, Cain's stand-up is K-1 level and the dude's from D1 wrestling. Who's turning 28. And won the BJJ blue belt no-gi world championships after a year of training.

I hate to use hyperbole but Cain truly, truly is the most skilled heavyweight to ever compete in MMA. I highly recommend people re-watch his fight vs Nogueira...the guy connects with a three punch combo and backs out before Nog can even throw a punch. And no, Nog's not that old, he's a year younger than Carwin in fact.

Cain's not the biggest heavyweight out there. He's not the strongest either. He's not even the toughest. But there is no doubt in my mind that he is the most skilled and well rounded. He might not have the strength to put away Brock but it's still going to be a five round ass beating if Brock can't take Cain down.

I cannot wait for Cain vs Brock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The question is, can he stop Brock's takedown? If Cain can stop it, he will beat Lesnar. That's a big "if" of course but certainly relevant as Brock displayed a very rudimentary stand-up game. He reacted hideously to being hit and showed the worst possible instincts by, literally, running away (with his back turned at one point). He freaked out, plain and simple. Knowing this, it should be obvious that if Cain can stop/avoid Brock's takedown, Cain isn't just going to win...he will annihilate Lesnar.

Now, Carwin stopped Brock's takedown through pure strength but Cain's quicker, smarter, and, more importantly, a better wrestler than Carwin, so I think he has a great chance at doing it. I mean, Cain's stand-up is K-1 level and the dude's from D1 wrestling. Who's turning 28. And won the BJJ blue belt no-gi world championships after a year of training.

I hate to use hyperbole but Cain truly, truly is the most skilled heavyweight to ever compete in MMA. I highly recommend people re-watch his fight vs Nogueira...the guy connects with a three punch combo and backs out before Nog can even throw a punch. And no, Nog's not that old, he's a year younger than Carwin in fact.

Cain's not the biggest heavyweight out there. He's not the strongest either. He's not even the toughest. But there is no doubt in my mind that he is the most skilled and well rounded. He might not have the strength to put away Brock but it's still going to be a five round ass beating if Brock can't take Cain down.

I cannot wait for Cain vs Brock.
ahahahah he can stop 1,or 2 td with the help of the cage...stop...then he's over

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Im on Cain's bandwagon for this one.

Brock revealed itself as a chicken so i see him running away again, but this time the man delivering him a facial treatment won´t run out of gas after 1 minute...

Cain wins by ref stoppage.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been saying for a while that Cain is the future of the heavyweight division. I think he will be able to stuff Brock's early takedown attempts, and if he does I expect him to outbox Brock fairly comfortably.

It will be another great fight though. It's fantastic to see the heavyweight division looking this good at the moment.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
I think people underrate cains strength as well just because hes not a big guy. Im not saying rothwell is some amazing fighter, but big ben is a really big guy and for cain to just pick him up and slam him down shows that cain does has some strength. Im not saying he is as strong as Carwin, but i dont think the strength gap is as big as people think.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
All this talk of Cain stopping Brocks takedowns. You lot got it all backwards. Cain is gonna take Brock down and Brocks the one not going to be able to stop it. Like I said in some other pointless post, Cains centre of gravity is very low. Brocks is much higher. Because of this I honestly see Cain having more success completing takedowns. He can get underneath and scoop fighters up, hence his Rothwell slam seemingly so easy.

The thought of a HW title matchup that actually could maybe possibly go more than 3 rounds excites the hell out of me. This fight could be it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can Cain TKO/KO Brock though?

If Carwin couldn't stop him with those 20 punches he landed i doubt Cain can do it in 50....
Cain doesn't have knock Brock out. Carwin was slowing down and wasn't punching enough to warrant a ref stoppage. Cain has a much better gas tank than Carwin. Cain will punch Brock not stop until the ref has no choice to stop the fight.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I wouldn't say that Cain has K1 level striking, but other than that, not a bad post.

I'm still picking Brock to win, but this should be a good fight. I like the idea of a David vs. Goliath match that is actually a fair fight and not a mismatch.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Can Cain TKO/KO Brock though?

If Carwin couldn't stop him with those 20 punches he landed i doubt Cain can do it in 50....
Carwin was hitting Brock forearms the majority of the time. He landed a couple of clean blows whilst Brock was on the floor, but Brock did a great job of defending and blocking most of the punches.

All this talk of Cain stopping Brocks takedowns. You lot got it all backwards. Cain is gonna take Brock down and Brocks the one not going to be able to stop it. Like I said in some other pointless post, Cains centre of gravity is very low. Brocks is much higher. Because of this I honestly see Cain having more success completing takedowns. He can get underneath and scoop fighters up, hence his Rothwell slam seemingly so easy.

The thought of a HW title matchup that actually could maybe possibly go more than 3 rounds excites the hell out of me. This fight could be it.
Im not so sure about that. Rothwell isnt a wrestler, Brock is. If cain does come out and take Brock down as well out strike him on the feet, then just wow.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
This post is from my other Brock vs Cain thread...

I honestly think that Cain is going to dominate Brock. I am not a Brock hater at all, I actually like him a little. Here's why Cain will win...

1. Far better stand up. His boxing and his kicks look fantastic and he is rapidly improving. I'm very curious to see how his striking looks against Brock.

2. Brock hates getting hit. He can definitely take a hit without getting KO'd. He proved that against Carwin. However, he doesn't look like a fighter when he gets hit. He looks extremely uncomfortable and he goes into panic mode and shoots for mediocre take downs.

3. Wrestling advantage goes to Cain. Brock is an awesome wrestler and combined with his size it's quite scary. However, Cain is better than an awesome wrestler. He has some of the best wrestling in all of mma. The size and strength advantage won't be enough for Brock to out wrestle Cain. I think Cain will defend Brock's take downs and will be able to take Brock down if he wants to.

4. Cardio. Brock will not have anywhere near the cardio that Cain has. If Cain has Brock hurt, I expect him to have the cardio to finish the fight unlike Carwin did.

I see Cain hurting Brock in the stand up enough to make him go to the ground like Carwin did and finishing the fight there. Not only do I see Cain winning, but I see him making it look easy. I might have to bet on this fight because the odds are going to be so stacked against Cain. Sorry to any Brock fans that think I'm just being a troll. This is just how I see it going.

·
....Omar Comin'
4,797 Posts

I honestly think that Cain is going to dominate Brock. I am not a Brock hater at all, I actually like him a little. Here's why Cain will win...

1. Far better stand up. His boxing and his kicks look fantastic and he is rapidly improving. I'm very curious to see how his striking looks against Brock.

2. Brock hates getting hit. He can definitely take a hit without getting KO'd. He proved that against Carwin. However, he doesn't look like a fighter when he gets hit. He looks extremely uncomfortable and he goes into panic mode and shoots for mediocre take downs.

3. Wrestling advantage goes to Cain. Brock is an awesome wrestler and combined with his size it's quite scary. However, Cain is better than an awesome wrestler. He has some of the best wrestling in all of mma. The size and strength advantage won't be enough for Brock to out wrestle Cain. I think Cain will defend Brock's take downs and will be able to take Brock down if he wants to.

4. Cardio. Brock will not have anywhere near the cardio that Cain has. If Cain has Brock hurt, I expect him to have the cardio to finish the fight unlike Carwin did.

I see Cain hurting Brock in the stand up enough to make him go to the ground like Carwin did and finishing the fight there. Not only do I see Cain winning, but I see him making it look easy. I might have to bet on this fight because the odds are going to be so stacked against Cain. Sorry to any Brock fans that think I'm just being a troll. This is just how I see it going.
you get some serious love for that post.

Brock is an absolute machine, a brown bear amongst sun bears in his division, but that's all he has over Cain, size and power. People say that Brock is the best wrestler to ever hit MMA, but really all he has is powerful double leg shots, whereas Cain has the ability to take down his opponent from anywhere. Cain will tag Brock repeatedly until he feels it and decides to shoot, then the shot will be sprawled and Cain will take Brock's back and pound him out from back mount!!

EDIT: IF Brock wins, then i will have no problems calling him the best heavyweight of all time, after Cain and Carwin, JDS and Overeem would be a walkover.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts

Some good points and I gave that guy in the other thread a piece of my mind for calling you a troll.

I think point #2 will be the deciding factor. While you are correct today I don't think you will be, come fight night.

I believe this is where Brock is going to prove himself. As soon as he returns to training I expect Marty Morgan to bring in guys who can and will punch brock in the face all day long. what we saw against Carwin was inexperience. They see his weakness now and will focus on it. Just as they brought in Randy for the last fight (I wonder what that cost?) don't be surprised if they bring in James Toney or someone better for this fight. I'm beginning to believe in Brocks dedication that much.

He went a long ways toward converting me with that smile and high 5 at the start of round 2.

I'll bet it scared the shit out of Cain.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What a surprise. Nearly everyone in the thread talking about how Brock has no chance against his next opponent and is in for an imminent, embarrassing defeat. Never seen that before.

I'll go on record as saying that Brock will be able to take him down. I think Brock is going to look much sharper in his next fight without the ring rust, and I think he will have the size and power advantage to take Cain down. What happens from there is anyone's guess, but I just don't see this as being a one-sided fight for Cain.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Cain has all the tools to beat Lesnar but can he? After seeing Brock nearly get squashed to a pulp, surviving the most brutal shots from the hardest puncher in the game and come back to win is incredible. I think Cain's best option is to take out Lesnar's legs with his top-notch legkicks. He must find a way to pick Brock apart and break him down. Chop the big man down and hopefully keep Lesnar's shot at bay. If Cain gets takendown hard, he's in huge trouble. Brock will pound him out, or even now submit him. Cain has to mix it up or it will be a short night. CV is a fantastic wrestler but he does not have the strength and size like Carwin to stuff Lesnar's takedowns. The Brock he will face will be the best Lesnar ever. If Velasquez makes it a technical stand-up fight breaking Lesnar down, I believe it's his best chance to win...

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
These topics are hilarious, you have fans of <insert fighter A> claiming their man is the one who gets all the hate and after the fight the opposing fans will eat their words, fans of <insert fighter B> are saying the exact smae shit.

:confused:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts