Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dana says:
As expected the winner of Saturday's UFC 116 headliner between heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and interim title-holder Shane Carwin (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) next will fight undefeated contender Cain Velasquez (8-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC).

UFC president Dana White previously hinted at the plans, and he today confirmed them with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"Cain fights the winner of this fight, probably as soon as possible," White told MMAjunkie.com. "Cain's been waiting a long time."

Velasquez staked claim to a title shot in February with a quick first-round knockout of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110. The fight was Velasquez's eighth straight and followed additional UFC wins over Brad Morris, Jake O'Brien, Denis Stojnic, Cheick Kongo and Ben Rothwell.

The former NCAA Division I All-American wrestler actually signed with the UFC after just two pro bouts, primarily because he and American Kickboxing Academy trainer Javier Mendez struggled to find opponents in outside organizations. Velasquez actually sat out of competition from December 2006 to April 2008 after one opponent after another pulled out of scheduled fightS.

He'll now keep a close eye on the outcome of Saturday's headliner, which is likely to determine the world's No. 1 heavyweight. The heavyweight title-unification bout is expected to produce one of the company's biggest PPV audiences and has already resulted in a virtual sellout of the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
:Link

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Still think he should be fighting JDS at 117 rather than Nelson...

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I didnt like this decison from the getgo. Cain should be fighting JDS for a title shot, I really dont think Cain 'earned' it.

Cain beat no one relevant in the HW rankings. Beat Kongo with no ground game, and a slow Rothwell who couldnt do anything. Big Nog is his only relevant win.

If anything, JDS deserves it more in my opinion.

Anyways... I think Cain will lose to either one of the winners at 116. If Brock cant take Carwin down, I really dont see Cain fairing much better, and I pick Carwin in the stand up battle.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I can see why the UFC aren't matching Velasquez and Dos Santos up against each other. That is a future title fight. They are the future of the division and will probably fight each other for the belt in a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Both will be a handful for Cain. Cain seems undermatched size wise. He said it best he's gonna have to be very technical and grind out three - five rounds.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
If Dos Santos wins convincingly over Roy then theres no one really left but to face the top 3 which are Brock,Carwin,Cain.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Would be an easy win for both Lesnar or Carwin.
I don't think it would be an easy win. Lesnar more so because I do not think Cain can handle Lesnar's size and strength.

Carwin/Cain would be an intresting fight because Carwin would be willing to stand and bang with Cain. Cain would be much faster and move in and out for a while and he could actually pull off the victory.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I don't think it would be an easy win. Lesnar more so because I do not think Cain can handle Lesnar's size and strength.

Carwin/Cain would be an intresting fight because Carwin would be willing to stand and bang with Cain. Cain would be much faster and move in and out for a while and he could actually pull off the victory.
I already know the line would be like +250 or +300 Cain, i'll put some cash down.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
i just don't see anyway velasquez could beat brock or carwin , he hits like a women ( KOing a past his prime Nog is not a relevant thing ) , he is like 240 ( i think ) how does he plan to stop the brock lesnar TD ? Does he seriously think he can stand and trade with carwin ? LOL
He's a speedier than both, he doesn't have the wide frame that Carwin and Lesnar have. He's a better 'pure' boxer than both, he knows how to jab and throw combos. American kickboxing academy does wonders for guys continuously improving their striking. He's not a touch your chin guy like Brock or Cain, but has a strong core, excellent stand-up can actually throw kicks, he's a better wrestler than Carwin. Top notch athlete.

Still an underdog against the winner - a question mark fight IMO. My money's on him if oddmakers write him off like the sentiment i'm reading here.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Assuming JDS beats FatBoy, he'll fight for the title after Cain. Early next year is my reckoning. I'm glad they didn't match JDS and Cain right now. I'm not going to complain knowing I've got Lesnar vs Carwin vs Cain in the meantime, with JDS vs Nelson, which I think will be a fun fight. Its all good at HW right now... real good.

Personally, I think Cain will come out on top. Hes a VERY special boy in my opinion.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i just don't see anyway velasquez could beat brock or carwin , he hits like a women ( KOing a past his prime Nog is not a relevant thing ) , he is like 240 ( i think ) how does he plan to stop the brock lesnar TD ? Does he seriously think he can stand and trade with carwin ? LOL
I dont think you will talk like that in cage with Cain and not from behind the keyboard. :confused05:

Its kinda sad that you dont see ANYway Cain could beat them. I think there is lot possibilities.

For examply wearing them down by better cardio.

About wrestling - Again 20 pounds in that weight is not that big difference. There is no equalization to strenght and weight. You can be 300pound BB and dont have that much strenght as a 200pound weightlifter. I dont think that Cain is stronger than Carwin or Lesnar BUT I think there is no huge gap that cant be filled with skill,agility,proper use of leverage.

I think Cain skillset is limitless. His only weakness seems to be for a lot of people his apearence(not muscular) and 240pounds. Its proven over and over again that size and strenght is not everything.

Btw if you watch tossing him Big Ben and then watch other Big Ben fights.. Not single fighter was able to handle him that easily. So he has some strenght and definitely can use his body well.

There is hype and there are just talking between fighters.. In many interviews ppl who saw Cain in training stated that he is something special.

Can he lost to Lesnar or Carwin.. Hell yeah!! But to say that there is no way for him to win is beyond silly.

Reactions: Mckeever

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Cain is easily one of the most talented HW fighters in mma, he doesnt get enough credit. Im glad hes getting the title shot because hes going to prove a lot of people wrong.

In the Nog fight i was shocked to see how far his striking and kickboxing had developed. Seriously, his technique, speed and precision in that fight were picture perfect. Perfect leg kicks and then the perfect counter to KO Nog. Say what you want about nog, but he had only been stopped once in his career when he was recovering from a nasty staph infection and clearly wasnt any where near 100 percent.

Knocking out Nog is no joke and it demands respect. On top of his evolving striking game, he is also a phenomenal wrestler. If he were to fight Brock or Carwin, i see him stuffing their take downs and out striking and KO'ing them on the feet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I dont think you will talk like that in cage with Cain and not from behind the keyboard. :confused05:

Its kinda sad that you dont see ANYway Cain could beat them. I think there is lot possibilities.

For examply wearing them down by better cardio.

About wrestling - Again 20 pounds in that weight is not that big difference. There is no equalization to strenght and weight. You can be 300pound BB and dont have that much strenght as a 200pound weightlifter. I dont think that Cain is stronger than Carwin or Lesnar BUT I think there is no huge gap that cant be filled with skill,agility,proper use of leverage.

I think Cain skillset is limitless. His only weakness seems to be for a lot of people his apearence(not muscular) and 240pounds. Its proven over and over again that size and strenght is not everything.

Btw if you watch tossing him Big Ben and then watch other Big Ben fights.. Not single fighter was able to handle him that easily. So he has some strenght and definitely can use his body well.

There is hype and there are just talking between fighters.. In many interviews ppl who saw Cain in training stated that he is something special.

Can he lost to Lesnar or Carwin.. Hell yeah!! But to say that there is no way for him to win is beyond silly.
Silly is being nice, I'll put my money on Cain against either one of these guys, and putting him against JDS if he wins is a smart business move. I'm glad he doesn't get the attention that the others do. He's very humble and knows he's still a student of the game and those are just a couple of things that make him special. BTW... I'm Mexican and have been a fan of the UFC/MMA since UFC 2, do you see the crowds when they are in the states, there are plenty of Mexicans in them. :sarcastic12:

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
so far what I'm getting out of this thread is that Cain's "skillset is limitless", his "technique is perfect" and he is very "special".

There is no smiley that accurately conveys my emotions on this one.
edit: to elaborate, its a strange mix of disgust, dismay and laughter

1 - 20 of 45 Posts