Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cain Velasquez Will Wait For Brock Lesnar-Shane Carwin UFC 116 Winner
by Brian Oswald Written on March 28, 2010
Mark Nolan/Getty Images Cain Velasquez will sit on the shelf, making him the official No. 1 contender to challenge the Brock Lesnar-Shane Carwin winner; those two are likely to lock horns at UFC 116, which is currently slated for fourth of July weekend.

Dana White confirmed this in a post fight Q&A to select media, following the official post fight press conference.

"Cain's waiting in the wings now. Cain's going probably to wait for the next [title] shot," Dana stated matter-of-factly.

While many would prefer to see Cain Velasquez collide with fellow young stud Junior Dos Santos now, it appears that the UFC doesn't want to let one pick off the other, rather saving them both for impending title fights in 2010/early 2011.

With Lesnar-Carwin likely to happen in July, Cain Velasquez could fight the winner as early as October, or be saved for the year-end show if they want to stretch it out that far.

As far as dos Santos, he will not be sitting on the shelves.

"dos Santos will not [wait], dos Santos will fight again," Dana stated, but did not elaborate on who his next fight could be against.

One obvious opponent would be Frank Mir, coming last night’s devastating loss at the hands of the newest heavyweight interim champion.

The UFC may shy away from that match up though, preferring to give dos Santos an easier path to his title shot while letting Mir lick his wounds.

No matter who dos Santos fights next, most will consider the challenger a step down in competition.

The prospect of having Cain Velasquez waiting in the wings to take on the Brock Lesnar-Shane Carwin winner, with Junior dos Santos in the rear view mirror, has to have fans excited for what has suddenly become the most intriguing division in the sport.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-for-brock-lesnar-shane-carwin-ufc-116-winner
honestly im surprised and i really dont like the decision by the UFC or by Cain. Thats along time to wait.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
lol, blatant favoritism. Junior has ten times the resume Cain does. I'm a fan of both fighters. Hell, I'm a fan of the HW division in general right now. But one doesn't merit a title shot over the other at this point, and having runner up number one contenders is just foolish, in my opinion. I know Dana wants a line of contenders, and doesn't want to run through his top talents within the blink of an eye, but at the expense of a clear cut number one? I don't much care for it, but hey, it's not my call. And I still don't think that such a long lay-off is a good idea for Cain. We saw last night with both Carwin and GSP that time off doesn't necessarily hurt, but he'll be giving up all of that momentum which he's acquired over the passed year.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I agree that is a long time to wait. But I'd say Cain is closer to deserving a shot than jds, however I'd like to see Cain take another fight inbetween

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I agree that is a long time to wait. But I'd say Cain is closer to deserving a shot than jds, however I'd like to see Cain take another fight inbetween
Why?

Cain has beat:

Rothwell
Kongo
Nog

JDS has beat:

Werdum
Cro Cop
Yvel
Struve
Gonzaga

Beating them by TKO or KO. If anything JDS has the better UFC resume, I'd call it even but if anything it is in JDS's favor.

Only reason why Cain doesn't have to fight again and JDS does is because JDS doesn't speak good enough English at the moment, so why not give it to guys who can? The UFC would much rather have their UFC champs speak good English. Anderson has learned a bit, and is just Anderson, doesn't matter how he speaks, he is just great to watch. Machida as you can see has worked on his English and they didn't want to give him teh title shot until Rampage was a no go back at UFC 98.

Speaking English is the only thing that makes Cain the pick to get the shot. Is it fair? No, but that is reality.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
At least Cain won't lose his number one contender spot. I still think that it's a bit too long break from fighting, when he is completely healthy.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I dont like this, Cain vs JDS NEEDS to happen. Who will JDS fight? is he going to wait 1 1/2 years for his title chance? Both of them have no one to fight unless they rish a step back in competition and losing their title shot.

Winner of Cain / JDS = title shot

Loser of Cain / JDS = face loser of Carwin/Lesnar to get back into immediate title contention

That is the best plan I see, DO IT DANA!

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont like this, Cain vs JDS NEEDS to happen. Who will JDS fight? is he going to wait 1 1/2 years for his title chance? Both of them have no one to fight unless they rish a step back in competition and losing their title shot.

Winner of Cain / JDS = title shot

Loser of Cain / JDS = face loser of Carwin/Lesnar to get back into immediate title contention

That is the best plan I see, DO IT DANA!
i prefer this.

we will have a true champion by the time Fedors contract at SF is done.

If he doesnt come by then we should also have a true number 1 HW in the world that isnt Fedor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why?

Cain has beat:

Rothwell
Kongo
Nog

JDS has beat:

Werdum
Cro Cop
Yvel
Struve
Gonzaga

Beating them by TKO or KO. If anything JDS has the better UFC resume, I'd call it even but if anything it is in JDS's favor.

Only reason why Cain doesn't have to fight again and JDS does is because JDS doesn't speak good enough English at the moment, so why not give it to guys who can? The UFC would much rather have their UFC champs speak good English. Anderson has learned a bit, and is just Anderson, doesn't matter how he speaks, he is just great to watch. Machida as you can see has worked on his English and they didn't want to give him teh title shot until Rampage was a no go back at UFC 98.

Speaking English is the only thing that makes Cain the pick to get the shot. Is it fair? No, but that is reality.
Im going to have to agree with you. JDS is more deserving of the title shot than Cain is. To think otherwise is just plain crazy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay I hardly post but Cain should get the title shot over JDS

JDS hasn't beat a top ten guy other than Werdum who was out of shape for that fight, and Cain has killed Kongo,Rothwell, and Big Nog who is the only big name out of both guys resumes.

JDS also had a hard time with a way past his prime Cro Cop I felt

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Okay I hardly post but Cain should get the title shot over JDS

JDS hasn't beat a top ten guy other than Werdum who was out of shape for that fight, and Cain has killed Kongo,Rothwell, and Big Nog who is the only big name out of both guys resumes.

JDS also had a hard time with a way past his prime Cro Cop I felt
So Gonzaga isn't a 'top ten guy' but Kongo and Rothwell are? And Cro Cop is passed his prime, but Big Nog isn't? Respectfully agree to disagree. There's simply no way you can say that Cain deserves the shot, but JDS doesn't, as anything you can use to prop up Cain can also be used to prop up JDS. As was said, you'd be doing Cain a solid by referring to them as 'even' in the running. There's only one way to determine the true number one contender, and it's by having both men compete in the Octagon. If Cain feels the need to wait and avoid Junior, then I'm sorry to say that he isn't worthy of number one contention.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Gonzaga isn't a 'top ten guy' but Kongo and Rothwell are? And Cro Cop is passed his prime, but Big Nog isn't? Respectfully agree to disagree. There's simply no way you can say that Cain deserves the shot, but JDS doesn't, as anything you can use to prop up Cain can also be used to prop up JDS. As was said, you'd be doing Cain a solid by referring to them as 'even' in the running. There's only one way to determine the true number one contender, and it's by having both men compete in the Octagon. If Cain feels the need to wait and avoid Junior, then I'm sorry to say that he isn't worthy of number one contention.
Cain beat a top 5. Former Pride and UFC HW Champion only 2 fights removed from being interim champion and one fight removed from beating the former champion and still ranked top 10 Randy Couture.

Nog was ranked top 5. By some top 3.

How can you prop JDS above that. You cant. He hasnt fought a top 5.

Cain is 6-0 in the UFC with the highest ranked win.

JDS is 5-0 in the UFC with a fringe top 10 as his highest.

Cain was promised a number 1 contender match vs Carwin along time ago. It got cancelled and he swallowed it without a complaint and without trash talk.

He has waited long enough and done enough. He is a little ahead of JDS because beating Nog is much, much MUCH bigger then anybody JDS beat.

·
Psychedelic
891 Posts
If JDS vs. Cain wont happen, the only reasonable option for JDS is for him to KO Mir in the 1st round again as that is the only other guy on JDS's level who is not a) fighting for the title or b) in line for the title.

I'm the second biggest JDS nuthugger on the forum but I really think Cain and JDS are equally deserving for title shot atm buuuuut Cain beat JDS to the finish fair and square because he ganined the title contender status before JDS (by beating Nog before JDS beat GG).

Fair play and both guys are really deserving so it dosent matter to me anyhow who gets the shot first. JDS won't loose to anyone except maybie Cain, Carwin and Brock. So I'm not scared of him loosing the contendership status while waiting for the top to clear out their rankings/titleholders.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Rubbish. We both know Yvel was the number two HW in the world going into his fight with Junior.

Kidding aside, while in some people's books, Cain might be a tad ahead (this is something the populous would be split on), he isn't at all leading Junior by a mile. He's not far enough ahead to warrant a title shot before Dos Santos, plain and simple. There's only one way to determine a clear-cut number one, and even you must recognize this, Al. But no. Dana wants someone to fight for the title after Carwin. And he wants someone to fight for the title after Cain. This isn't how MMA is supposed to work. You're not supposed to have number one contenders on reserve. The man fighting for the belt should be the absolute second best in his division, and we don't know if it's Carwin, Cain, or Junior. Cain would rather wait eight or nine months for a title shot than take a high profile fight against his arguable equal in terms of contention? He'd rather duck Junior than show the critics and doubters just who he is by defeating the only other man in the running? Sorry... that's not my view of someone who should be fighting for the title.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rubbish. We both know Yvel was the number two HW in the world going into his fight with Junior.

Kidding aside, while in some people's books, Cain might be a tad ahead (this is something the populous would be split on), he isn't at all leading Junior by a mile. He's not far enough ahead to warrant a title shot before Dos Santos, plain and simple. There's only one way to determine a clear-cut number one, and even you must recognize this, Al. But no. Dana wants someone to fight for the title after Carwin. And he wants someone to fight for the title after Cain. This isn't how MMA is supposed to work. You're not supposed to have number one contenders on reserve. The man fighting for the belt should be the absolute second best in his division, and we don't know if it's Carwin, Cain, or Junior. Cain would rather wait eight or nine months for a title shot than take a high profile fight against his arguable equal in terms of contention? He'd rather duck Junior than show the critics and doubters just who he is by defeating the only other man in the running? Sorry... that's not my view of someone who should be fighting for the title.
lol now Cain is ducking JDS. Come on man... this is Danas idea.

Cain from the get go has had his title chances messed with cuz if ppl talking trash and getting popularity.

he went from number 1 contender match. to fighting Rothwell. That sucks. Then he beats a guy ranked higher then Carwin (at the time) and still wont get his shot.

Either way, i dont want Cain to wait that long either. I dont think its really him asking to wait that long tho. Its Dana being paranoid about injuries and not wanting to ruin the hype of two of his fastest rising stars.

Cain would fight JDS tomorrow if it was for a title shot, believe me.

i dont think Cain is far ahead in terms of what he has done. All JDS needs is a top 5 win, then he would leapfrog Cain (unless Cain got another big win in the same time frame).

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Cain is scared.

lol, in all seriousness, I get that it's Dana's master plan. Part of me doesn't blame him... the idea of having fighters on reserve almost seems smart given all the injuries as of late. I just can't get behind these two not fighting, but more so, I can't get behind the idea of a talent like Cain fighting twice in one year, while Junior will likely partake in four or five fights. Momentum can be fleeting, and time away from the industry can be detrimental. Just ask Brandon Vera.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
lol nah apparently Cain is *spooky*. Joe smokes so much i never know what he means.

JDS vs Cain would be more exciting for me then Lesnar vs Carwin.

im all for it. either way i have a feeling we are gonna see all these guys matchup in one form or another pretty soon.

taking time off seemed to work for Carwin.

BTW i dont like Carwin or Lesnars chances..... cuz i think he fight will be.... in MEXICO CITY!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why?

I love Amereecah.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think Cain is doing the right thing....couldn't think who he would fight anyways besides JDS and I don't want that to happen until one is title holder or both already get thier shot.
I'm more curious at who JDS is going to face now though, no one makes sense except Mir because he's not going to fight Nog and waiting for loser of Carwin/Lesnar would be a while. I'd feel pretty bad for Mir if that's what Dana/Joe decides on though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts