Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else on this forum think that Cain Velasquez could make 205?

He's not ripped, and he is the same size as some of the other bigger 205'ers. Like Rameau Sokoudjou.

Your thoughts...?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
He fights at around 240..... I think??????

He might be able to get to 205. But it might leave him weak, he is better suited for the HW division.

Why do you ask??????????

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He fights at around 240..... I think??????

He might be able to get to 205. But it might leave him weak, he is better suited for the HW division.

Why do you ask??????????
Many fighters at 240 have gotten down to 205. Plus, people have said that he won't become champion, not because he's not skilled enough, but he just doesn't have the size. I think that's ridiculous but he is kinda small at heavyweight and, in my opinion, would be super beast at 205.(either that, or he would turn into another Brandon Vera)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
There isnt any reason for him to even consider it at the moment. He has been very successful at heavyweight so far. He has tooled everyone the UFC has put in front of him thus far. There has been nothing to suggest that he should move down a weight class.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
He will do fine at HW.

He's got some great wrestling and amazing cardio. And he looks better and better every time I see him fight.

Sure size matters, but that doesnt always mean size wins.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from Cain, but he doesnt really have any impressive wins, 1 good win against a declining Nog isnt that good. He beat Kongo and Ben Rothwell, both suck on the ground and Rothwell was REALLY slow in that fight.

Cain could easily make LHW if he actually tried and went on a diet/conditioning program like most fighters. I am not saying he doesnt train hard, or that his work ethic is bad, just that he hardly has any muscle mass compared to other fighters, and he probably eats anything he wants like most HWs.

He has some belly fat also, which isnt exactly a bad thing, but these type of things can be gotten rid of to make the cut to LHW. I really dont think Cain has the size to compete with future HW opponents, most noticeably, Lesnar.

The way I feel about Cain is that he will most likely never hold the HW title as long as Lesnar is the champ, while he could probably be a LHW champion earlier in his career if he would make the move.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sokoudjou has no cardio so I dunno about that example. It wouldn't be smart for Cain to cut to 205, possibly drain himself or put on too much muscle, and then lose his cardio advantage. Plus he's quick for a Heavyweight and that speed advantage would be gone at 205 as well.

He might be undersized at HW compared to Lesnar and Carwin but he matches up well against most people in the division. Carwin's gas tank is still questionable and someone that big could easily gas. Lesnar's cardio seems good (he beat on Heath Herring for 15 minutes and didn't seem too gassed) but Couture was able to hang with him in the wrestling department despite being undersized. Plus I give Cain the technical striking advantage over both guys.

Until he gets his ass kicked at Heavyweight, there's just no reason for him to cut to 205.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I definatly think he could make 205 and despite concerns that the weight cut could hurt him if his level of dedication is where its reported as being I think he could do it right. I think Cain will soon find himself at a crossroads where he is to small to deal with Lesnar or Carwin and will have to make the choice to either bulk up and risk losing mobility or drop to LHW and risk losing a bit of power and maybe a little muscle mass.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
No. He is in good shape and weighs in at just over 240 lbs. He is like an energizer bunny, he obviously works very hard but he has the body type that doesn't get ripped and have next to no body fat. Taking off an extra 40 lbs would most likely severly hamper his cardio and ability. Working on his boxing is far more important if he is to have success then trying to cut down to 205.

·
Cheeky freak of the week
1,646 Posts
I think Cain should seriosly consider moving down to LHW. I know how everyone wants to see the little guy take out the big guy, but Cain hasn't faced a Lesnar or a Carwin yet, fighters who really take full advantage of their size. Velasquez will get a reality check when he fights for the title against the winner of Brock/Shane.

240 could still be his walk around weight if he moves down. With the right diet and proper training, every athlete in this sport are able to drop 35 pounds for the weigh in. And I think Cain would be a beast at 205. He would be the best wrestler in the division, and would be a top contender right away.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Its all very well looking at images of fighters from the waist up and making comparisons... but to completely discount the legs as if they dont count? Cains legs are like tree trunks. Fat chunky things. They dwarf his upper body. Ive no idea what the average distribution of weight is between the upper and lower body, but Cain clearly leans towards a bottom heavy physique.

With his centre of gravity so low, it makes him pretty unique as a HW. He can get move and weave far easier than any other HW in my opinion and as his striking skills develop I predict he will be devastating. Not to mention how a low COG helps take downs... but that much is obvious.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Ugh I'm so sick of this "not big enough for HW" garbage. Fast, ungassable, athletic HWs are going to remind this division real soon that putting on size has no relevancy. Falling into Mir syndrome and coming in at max weight is pointless.

Even Mir said he's going back down to his natural size and that it was a mistake to try to get so big.

After all, besides the first Mir fight, a 220lb Couture gave Lesnar his hardest challenge.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
id rather see him bulk up a bit more so that he hits harder rather than put his future at hw on the line to try and drop 35 pounds so that he (might) compete at lhw and not turn into a brandon vera who i think lost less weight to go to lhw and became total garbage compared to before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts