Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anderson is considered elite by many, i think hes a great striker but im not someone who pays attention to ratings much, im not saying there wrong just follow styles.

So the common question is, is there anyone you think that can beat Anderson currently or any fighters in any org at any time.. by outstriking him? I see Anderson has a solid chin, he never looks worried or rocked, i see most punches just glance off him.

I think AA may have been legitament matchup for a possible flash KO in his absoloute best form.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i agree with you BlacklistShaun,everyone can be knockout,and i want to see shogun-anderson fight,that would be awsome..

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
It's been said, anyone can be KOd with the right punch. That being said, Anderson with his matrixlike defense, granite chin and insane offence is probably the hardest person in the world to KO at the moment. Like you said, a prime Arlovski would be a great candidate, extremely fast HW and tons more power, but his chin is too suspect to stand up to Anderson himself.

I think Carwin would too, just based on how even a tap from this guy seems to put guys out, like out cold. Probably has the most KO power in the world right now, even more than Chuck in his prime and Brock in spite of Brock's even bigger size. But Carwin might be too slow, and it's unlikely Anderson would fight so far above his weight even if he fought a HW.

I actually think Belfort has a decent chance ... he's one of the few guys I think is actually faster than Anderson. IMO Belfort is the fastest striker in the history of MMA... it's just Anderson is far more technical and accurate while being really fast himself.

But by far the #1 candidate IMO would be Fedor. His incredibly fast roundabout punches are actually very technical (casting punch) and designed to be unpredictable and extremely powerful. He could definitely KO even Anderson.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
He is supposed to fight a guy that could KO him next, no?? Vitor is def a guy that could do it, i mean he has the power and the handspeed. Do i think he will??? No. Do i think anybody can stand with Anderson and consistently win exchanges and not get hurt?? No.

·
Registered
773 Posts
i agree with you BlacklistShaun,everyone can be knockout,and i want to see shogun-anderson fight,that would be awsome..

lol will never happen untill spider is on the verge of retirement....mans a very valuable comodity and thats a high risk fight. If shogun cant neutralise dragons style then he can do the same to spider. Also spider use to fighting smaller fighters.

As for belfort as long as he dont get a rush of blood to his head and bull rush silva he stands a good chance

·
Registered
185 Posts
If shogun cant neutralise dragons style then he can do the same to spider. Also spider use to fighting smaller fighters.

Machida =/= Silva.

Oh and you're right, forrest griffin must be the smallest lhw Ive ever seen...:confused03:

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Machida =/= Silva.

Oh and you're right, forrest griffin must be the smallest lhw Ive ever seen...:confused03:
Seriously you think Forrest is big? I don't get this mentality. The dude has no chest, very little power, isn't known his strong clinch work/wrestling... wtf. Just cause he "cuts from 240" doesn't mean he's big, it means he gets very out of shape between fights. Plus he was on qualuudes during that fight with Silva.

IIRC Silva said Fedor would probably knock him out? Silva also thinks Vitor won't try to stand with him. I think Vitor will DEFINITELY try to stand with him and Silva better be very careful.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Seriously you think Forrest is big? I don't get this mentality. The dude has no chest, very little power, isn't known his strong clinch work/wrestling... wtf. Just cause he "cuts from 240" doesn't mean he's big, it means he gets very out of shape between fights. Plus he was on qualuudes during that fight with Silva.

IIRC Silva said Fedor would probably knock him out? Silva also thinks Vitor won't try to stand with him. I think Vitor will DEFINITELY try to stand with him and Silva better be very careful.
i see u keep mentioning qualudes, is there a real source to this??

Size is size, Forrest is a very big LHW. Very tall and very long limbs. He has finished most of his fights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Simple answer is yes, anyone can be knocked out.
Sure that is the simple answer, but the most boring too :)

I actually think Belfort has a decent chance ... he's one of the few guys I think is actually faster than Anderson. IMO Belfort is the fastest striker in the history of MMA... it's just Anderson is far more technical and accurate while being really fast himself.
I agree too, i think Vitor can definatly pose a threat to Anderson just by speed alone, i wont be too quick to cancel Vitor out of this, depending on what Vitor turns up there could be an upset :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Someone mentioned Forrest not being a large LHW. I'll agree he's known to physically be a large weight, cutting down from upwards of 230 -- however, I think we should take a moment to reflect on Forrest as a fighter. He's certainly not known to knock his opponents out. Despite Forrest's size, you'd be kidding yourself not to question his power.

We haven't really seen Anderson fight against any notable technical strikers. It's impossible to argue that right now, Anderson is probably the most impressive striker in MMA.

We've seen him fight a couple of fighters capable of knocking him out in one punch. Cote, Irvine, Hendo(but with the lack of technicality in his striking, it would never happen), Marquardt, I'll even throw Franklin's name up here.

So, if we look at those couple of fighters who he's fought with the power to knock Silva out, when we look at the technique of these fighter's striking, Cote has really been the most technical, hard-punching striker Anderson has fought so far, and Cote isn't known for his speed.

So, as far as the question, "Can the right opponent beat Anderson on the feet?" I don't think we've actually seen him fight a quick fighter with powerful hands, like Belfort. Someone even mentioned Fedor, and Shogun, I'll also throw up Machida's name for a bit of discussion.

Let me first say, that Silva has shown his ability to box with slower punchers and basically have his way with them. Hendo(R2), Irvine, Cote, Franklin, Griffin, Leben. That being said -- while I think Machida and Shogun are pretty fast, they don't have the sort of hand speed of a Fedor or Belfort. I'm not dismissing Machida or Shogun either, but I believe it's more likely we'd see someone like Belfort or Fedor beat Anderson. A fighter truly capable of defining "flash KO". Someone whose speed gives them an edge over the vast amount of technique Anderson possesses. However, I believe that technique generally wins out over speed and power(Anderson having a significant amount of each himself). That being said, outside of Fedor, I don't think there's really anyone in MMA that I'd be worried about K.O.ing Anderson.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts

Excellent post, agree with all of what you said. Seriously, everyone makes Forrest out to be this huge giant, but he looked tiny against Ortiz in that first fight. Ortiz looked WAAY bigger and ragdolled Forrest effortlessly that first round. And yes, he has no real muscle and no KO power ... looks skinny as hell. I can't think of a single muscle on him that looks big. I mean Rampage has some BIG shoulders and biceps for a LHW, Jardine is HUGE overall, Tito has an enormous back and good sized arms, Luiz Cane has a big frame and thick arms, and Sokoudjou looked like Hercules. Forrest? not so much. All Forrest has is height, and that only an inch or two over most LHWs.

Also yes, I really doubt Vitor is gonna start taking ppl down at this point in his career... his BJJ black belt is pretty weak, might not even be a match for Anderson's. He's gonna stand, and has a good chance of a flash KO if he comes in 110% mentally.

Size is size, Forrest is a very big LHW. Very tall and very long limbs. He has finished most of his fights.
Wow talk about misleading stats. What does "finishing fights" have to do with KO power or size, when 90% of those are submissions? Royce finished most of his fights too, he must have been a huge fighter in the early UFCs :rolleyes:.

Fact is Forrest has only 1 TKO and 1 KO in his entire 22 fight career. The TKO is over Elvis glass jaw Sinosic, and the KO over some 4-6 can called Edson Silva. The man has pillows for fists ... I bet the gloves on his hand actually make his punch harder than the pillows he puts inside them. He's had so many flush hits on peoples chins with them barely flinching ... his standup is primarily point fighting. Also, just tall and long limbed =/= big, otherwise Tamden McRory would be called big.

As for the whole qualudes thing, Forrest said it himself in his first interview after the Silva fight, almost a month later. I think it's on this forum in a thread on it, you can search for it. Not that it mattered, I don't think Forrest would've stood a chance either way, this is just him making excuses IMO.

·
Registered
358 Posts

I don't think Forrest is big for LHW...I know he is. I met him between fights and I'm 205 and he was MUCH larger than me. He made me look like a WW. He was not fat or out of shape either. He just looked like a big corn fed boy...

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
I don't think Forrest is big for LHW...I know he is. I met him between fights and I'm 205 and he was MUCH larger than me. He made me look like a WW. He was not fat or out of shape either. He just looked like a big corn fed boy...
And how big are you exactly? "big" is relative when comparing with ourselves. Did you look bigger compared to any other LHW?

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i never said forrest had KO power, i said he is a big LHW. Go stand beside him if you think he is skinny.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Of course Forrest is a big LHW. Think about it, can he possibly cut to MW? No way.

Dude steps in the cage at at least 225 lbs (ripped), is 6'3 tall and has a helluva reach.

How isnt he big? Who's bigger than him as a LHW?

In regards to the OP, anybody with a chin can get KOd. I think you ill formulated your thread title. To answer your question, I think Belfort has the tools, but I don't see it happening tbh.

If I had to drop a name though, Id say RJJ would have a decent chance of TKOing him in a boxing match (not to turn it into another RJJ/AS thread, we've had enough of those lately).

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts

Yeah in an interview all Forrest had to say about the fight was "don't fight on qualuudes, man." In a way earlier interview (prefight) he said he asked his psychiatrist for valium. I believe there was another interview where he talked in depth about "luudes."

Wow talk about misleading stats. What does "finishing fights" have to do with KO power or size, when 90% of those are submissions? Royce finished most of his fights too, he must have been a huge fighter in the early UFCs :rolleyes:.

Fact is Forrest has only 1 TKO and 1 KO in his entire 22 fight career. The TKO is over Elvis glass jaw Sinosic, and the KO over some 4-6 can called Edson Silva. The man has pillows for fists ... I bet the gloves on his hand actually make his punch harder than the pillows he puts inside them. He's had so many flush hits on peoples chins with them barely flinching ... his standup is primarily point fighting. Also, just tall and long limbed =/= big, otherwise Tamden McRory would be called big.
This.

As for finishing, in his last eight fights four were decisions. Three were him getting TKO'd. ;)

Of course Forrest is a big LHW. Think about it, can he possibly cut to MW? No way.

Dude steps in the cage at at least 225 lbs (ripped), is 6'3 tall and has a helluva reach.

How isnt he big? Who's bigger than him as a LHW?

If I had to drop a name though, Id say RJJ would have a decent chance of TKOing him in a boxing match (not to turn it into another RJJ/AS thread, we've had enough of those lately).

I don't get it. He's LANKY and isn't fat. He's definitely not big.

I guess Bonnar is a MASSIVE light heavyweight?

Forrest is simply too tall to be "big." He's like Nate Diaz except not quite so bad.

At just 1" shorter than Forrest, Tito is waaay more built - watch their next fight, ask a random person who's bigger. :)

Guys who are big LHWs? Tito, Rampage, Coleman, Jardine... I'm sure there's a ton more but Forrest isn't one of them. It seems like people only start talking about how "big" he is to justify for other shortcomings after a loss or something. Weird.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Yeah in an interview all Forrest had to say about the fight was "don't fight on qualuudes, man." In a way earlier interview (prefight) he said he asked his psychiatrist for valium. I believe there was another interview where he talked in depth about "luudes."

This.

As for finishing, in his last eight fights four were decisions. Three were him getting TKO'd. ;)

I don't get it. He's LANKY and isn't fat. He's definitely not big.

I guess Bonnar is a MASSIVE light heavyweight?

Forrest is simply too tall to be "big." He's like Nate Diaz except not quite so bad.

At just 1" shorter than Forrest, Tito is waaay more built - watch their next fight, ask a random person who's bigger. :)

Guys who are big LHWs? Tito, Rampage, Coleman, Jardine... I'm sure there's a ton more but Forrest isn't one of them. It seems like people only start talking about how "big" he is to justify for other shortcomings after a loss or something. Weird.
I saw the one interview... Forrest messes around alot in interviews... i didnt take it serious one bit, i would appreciate a link to something that really says he was on them, but i doubt its available because i doubt its true, but if it is plz link ive looked but cant find anything but rumors from that one interview. You state it like it's fact.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
I saw the one interview... Forrest messes around alot in interviews... i didnt take it serious one bit, i would appreciate a link to something that really says he was on them, but i doubt its available because i doubt its true, but if it is plz link ive looked but cant find anything but rumors from that one interview. You state it like it's fact.

This was in his stage of interviews where he was serious. Talked about almost trying to kill himself, seemed really awkward and downtrotten, talked quite a bit about Luudes and how he was on them.

It makes sense - watch the fight. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts