Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many fighters billed as "Mixed Martial Artists" as well as seing MMA training schools. MMA does put fighters into unique circumstances that are almost exclusive to the sport. It is the only martial art I know of with GNP fighting.

I feel that it takes the overlap between other diciplines and merges them together to form something new. What do you guys think>

·
The Title Guy
18,061 Posts
Overlap

Yeah I was thinking about that, why can't someone be considered an MMA master instead of having to train seperately in different disciplines?

·
Banned
525 Posts
Actually MMA is considered it's own style. At the gym I train at, there are a few young men that just started training MMA. They had no background in wrestling, boxing, BJJ, Judo, Karate, nothing. Hence, MMA is their fighting style.

·
Crazy Kicker
957 Posts
kickboxing rules

·
Banned
525 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about that, why can't someone be considered an MMA master instead of having to train seperately in different disciplines?
On the same note, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is a blend of Judo, traditional JuJutsu and many other styles that I can't think of off the top of my head right now. Do we not have BJJ Masters?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
On the same note, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu is a blend of Judo, traditional JuJutsu and many other styles that I can't think of off the top of my head right now. Do we not have BJJ Masters?
What other styles? Judo and Catch Wrestling is all that's in the blender, as far as I know.:dunno:

·
Banned
525 Posts
What other styles? Judo and Catch Wrestling is all that's in the blender, as far as I know.:dunno:
I read an article somewhere the otherday that said it originated from Kodokan Judo, which in itself was derived from Jujutsu. Didn't mean to state the Japanese Jujutsu was directly responsible for BJJ. Catch Wrestling has no direct link to BJJ but, just about any kind of submission grappling is loosely based on Catch Wrestling in some way.

·
The Title Guy
18,061 Posts
Significance

Not to mention that Catch Wrestling and BJJ were responsible for the origins of MMA in Japan and Brazil respectfully!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have seen many fighters billed as "Mixed Martial Artists" as well as seing MMA training schools. MMA does put fighters into unique circumstances that are almost exclusive to the sport. It is the only martial art I know of with GNP fighting.

I feel that it takes the overlap between other diciplines and merges them together to form something new. What do you guys think>
I think from 4-5 years ago onwards there are true MMA practitioners that have trained in no other Martial Arts other than MMA, E.G NO TRADITIONAL SINGULAR MARTIAL ARTS then moving into MMA as a whole concept, like a lot of guys like myself did.
These guys or people that fight in MMA orgs I feel can be regarded as true mixed martial artists, and now your also seeing the emergence of solely MMA fighters coming through like Rory McDonald who hasn't trained anything but MMA, and think that this will be the case for a lot of future guys coming through with the introduction of MMA classes for kids popping up all over the place.
Whereas we would have tained in jujitsu one day then say Muay Thai another day, pure MMA classes are the future of Martial Arts although the singular Martial Arts will always have their place.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
As long as people call trainers form other martial arts to teach them different aspects of MMA, and as long as it has the name MIXED MARTIAL ARTS, MMA will never be it's own fighting style.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
You can never call MMA his own fighting style. It's just what it is.. a mix from every Martial Art out there useful for a Sport in a Cage.

Thats why I also call this time of MMA the Golden Area. 95% of every upcoming Cage fighter will start training in MMA as a "Martial Art". Nobody will ever dictate his life to only one Martial Art since today they know, that this Sport is out there and that this could be a opportunity to make a living someday. We won't see guys anymore who step in MMA as one of the best Judokas out there or an All American Wrestler. Who only dictated there life to become a Olyimpic Gold Medalist. To become really one of the best in the World at this particular Martial Art.

When I look at it this way, I am kinda happy that I can witness this "Golden Area" of the Sport. But I am also getting kinda sad when I think about this new generation of fighters. Who only ever trained in MMA when they grew up. I could even see myself stop watching this Sport when this time occurred..

·
Banned
525 Posts
You can never call MMA his own fighting style. It's just what it is.. a mix from every Martial Art out there useful for a Sport in a Cage.
Mixed Martial Arts is a mix of many martial arts that make 1 fighting style. I've touched on this earlier in this topic. I come from a Submission Grappling background, but at the gym I train at there are several younger men, 13, 14, 15 years old, that have no background in any base Martial Art, wrestling, boxing, BJJ, nothing. Wouldn't MMA be considered their fighting style?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Mixed Martial Arts is a mix of many martial arts that make 1 fighting style. I've touched on this earlier in this topic. I come from a Submission Grappling background, but at the gym I train at there are several younger men, 13, 14, 15 years old, that have no background in any base Martial Art, wrestling, boxing, BJJ, nothing. Wouldn't MMA be considered their fighting style?
They still use the techniques from other martial arts and they still use trainers from those arts. Fighting style is determined on where you like to fight, it's not that much connected with your background. Striker, wrestler, ground fighter.
And everybody today, with or without a background train everything so, those guys who solely train MMA just have no background. They have no more skills than the guys with a background.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts