Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just watched a video on sherdog (there is a link to it in a thread on this site)
kevin looks really lean. he looks like he has been training alot of cardio. he is definently very focused. it should be obvious im a bit of a chute boxe nuthugger so dont bother questioning my knowledge of shogun. i guess im just thinking about the fact that when shogun is in trouble thats kinda his way out. get them to the ground and stomp them out. which would probably be his best bet against randleman. the fight could go the same way the rampage fight went. but i think we all agree that quinton was not his self at that point anymore. and i think about kevins ko of mirko. anything can happen in this fight. when they first announced it i was excited. but i kinda just saw it as another win for shogun. after seeing the interview im thinking its gonna be a war. i think the 5 minute rds are good for randleman. he gasses but is fresh after a break. i think shogun would have a better chance of wearing kevin out in a 10 minute rd. guess we'll see this weekend. i put 2000 on shogun.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
first off, to assume that all Shogun has is stomps, shows that you're not very familiar with him. secondly, randleman can look as "lean" as ever, but it won't change the fact that over his career, he's proven time and time again that he's just a roided up blanket!!! he always lets down. and there are people that take his random KO of CC like it means he's the best fighter ever...

it's like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine by going up to it and tossing in a quarter... hey, you can get lucky... but you most likely wont!

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Stomps are useful for opponents who like to turtle up and wait for a striker to come to the ground...

They are crowd pleasers because its a nice show of dominance ... heh "I shall smite you with the heel of my foot heathen"

Stomps are a fancy finishing move, not a TOOL to be used to take a man apart...

Randleman is an inconsistent fighter so its hard to predict how he is going to do... but he does stand a chance if he is at the top of his game...

Shogun is a tactician, he has a well rounded aresenal to draw upon depending on the circumstance... I would make him my odds on favorite...

Randleman has this weird hesitation, like hes unsure on how to proceded after he is successful on a takedown...
he has good wrestling reflexes, but it breaksdown after that...
He stares into his corner hoping they can tell him what to do

But nonetheless, he is no pansey and should be approached with caution... he does have heavy hands.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pt447 said:
first off, to assume that all Shogun has is stomps, shows that you're not very familiar with him. secondly, randleman can look as "lean" as ever, but it won't change the fact that over his career, he's proven time and time again that he's just a roided up blanket!!! he always lets down. and there are people that take his random KO of CC like it means he's the best fighter ever...

it's like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine by going up to it and tossing in a quarter... hey, you can get lucky... but you most likely wont!
its crazy that i specifically said im am a huge shogun fan, and not to question that. but you still did. check my avatar, and my sig pic is of wand. i have all shoguns t-shirts from koral, i have the dry fit shirt he wore when he fought the snake. and i train in the same black koral trunks he wears. as much as i hate to say it im a shogun nut hugger. so lets just get that out of the way. and a lean randleman with good cardio could be a very dangerous opponent for shogun. mark coleman was doing very well against him in there fight. if shogun hadnt broken his arm mark might have climbed onto his back right there. and of the two i personally think randleman is a better fighter than coleman. i dont assume that he is all stomps. but lets be real, when he is behind the gun he stomps on guys. i still think shogun will win. but the way the rules are set up i think it favors randleman..thats just my opinion

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
pt447 said:

No one said all he had is stomps and soccer kicks. But they are his bread and butter and to say taking someones bread and butter away wont affect them is ridiculous. I agree he'll still win without them but I dont think you can argue that this isnt at least somewhat of a disadvantage to Shogun.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I think the biggest problem for Shogun will be the rule
"Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent"

This IS a "bread and butter" (as asskicker has said) move for Pride fighters...
When there is a failed takedown shoot and the shooters head is DOWN, if his hand is on the ground... he is considered to be a grounded opponent.... hence a front guilitine choke is ok, but no kness to the head... not in UFC.
This restriction also limits side-mount attacks...

Shogun likes his opponents to fear his knees, but that wont matter now since he cant use em :(

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
asskicker said:
His knees are still dangerous from the clinch. Which he can do.
Yeah, but Shogun can do SO much more...

I followed Quinton during his excursion into the KOTC and boy was he having trouble...
he kept looking at the ref basically with a look that said...
"well, can I do this then? how about this?"

Its like he had to fight with one hand behind his back...
He still won mind you, but man... you could totally see him holding back stuff that was just a reflex reaction counter attack...

That is my fear for Shogun, that he will hesitate because he is not accustomed to being held back by so many restrictions and regulations

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I think that you are correct in having a concern for Shogun. He seems to be a fighter who has found a comfort zone with the stomps. In a fight with a wrestler of Randlemans caliber I would highly doubt that Shogun would be able to either throw Randleman down or escape to the standing position while grappling. My point is that even if stomps were allowed Shogun would probably not have the opportunity to use them on Randleman. Randleman has a bigger obstacle to overcome. This is his first fight in almost 2 years. I can't imagine going up against that level of competition after being out so long. Here's what Randleman had to say about fighting in the US, "I don't feel geography is a disadvantage for anyone. The only disadvantage for a fighter is not being prepared. If you are truly a great fighter, than the only person that can beat you is yourself." I hope that it is a great battle. It seems that the smart money is on Shogun, BODOG lists Shogun at -300 and Randleman at +200. Don't ask me to explain what that means exactly I just know that it means that Shogun is the favorite.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I for one do not think stomps are a fancy finishing move. It's a finishing move in itself. Most the Chute Boxe team finish their opponents with stomps. Legs are alot more powerful than hands. Especially when were talking about Chute Boxe's team. Considering Shogun can't use them it may change his game plan, but, I still think he will win this one. Shogun for the win by KO or TKO

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
attention said:
Stomps are useful for opponents who like to turtle up and wait for a striker to come to the ground...

They are crowd pleasers because its a nice show of dominance ... heh "I shall smite you with the heel of my foot heathen"

Stomps are a fancy finishing move, not a TOOL to be used to take a man apart...

Randleman is an inconsistent fighter so its hard to predict how he is going to do... but he does stand a chance if he is at the top of his game...

Shogun is a tactician, he has a well rounded aresenal to draw upon depending on the circumstance... I would make him my odds on favorite...

Randleman has this weird hesitation, like hes unsure on how to proceded after he is successful on a takedown...
he has good wrestling reflexes, but it breaksdown after that...
He stares into his corner hoping they can tell him what to do

But nonetheless, he is no pansey and should be approached with caution... he does have heavy hands.
thats one of the best posts ive read in awhile bro :thumbsup: but my opinion on this is that these rules are a disadvantage for Shogun, hes gonna be thinking too much about what he cant do instead of just reacting and fighting his game. But I think Shogun is too well rounded to lose to a one dimensional fighter like Randleman. Shogun by submission round 2

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jdun11 said:
thats one of the best posts ive read in awhile bro :thumbsup: but my opinion on this is that these rules are a disadvantage for Shogun, hes gonna be thinking too much about what he cant do instead of just reacting and fighting his game. But I think Shogun is too well rounded to lose to a one dimensional fighter like Randleman. Shogun by submission round 2
yeah thats what i was saying. they train the stomps and soccer kicks religously at chute boxe. it's part of their regiment. they train it so it becomes second nature. i think shogun is a smart enough fighter to overcome this, but it's definently a part of his arsenal that will be missing. i know if i had a chance to finish kevin off by stomping on him or kicking his head i sure as hell would. i'd be looking to get that fight over by any means neccesary.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
herton17 said:
Would he get DQ-ed if he went for a soccer kick or would it be a yellow card or something ?
I think it depends...

If the guy is really hurt AFAIK they deem it a "no contest" and the whole bout is a wash...

Otherwise I think they do exactly what you said... one yellow card given to the kicker and some recovery time given to the kickee

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
jdun11 said:
Since the fight is tomorrow I had to place my bet now ;)

Here's my super wild arse guess....

Im gonna put my money on Randleman

Yeah, I know... after that previous post, why?
Even though I really would like Shogun to win and I think hes got the whole deal, Im gonna give Randleman the "NEED" to win desperation motivation...

Sadly enuf, because his "numbers" are down he's losing fans, heck probably even losing his marketability... He desperately needs this win.

Im also gonna give Randy "home court" advantage... as in, hes fought under these restrictions many time before...
In fact, the UFC rules they will employ for this bout are suited for Randleman versus Shogun...

Anyhoo... thats my super wild arse guess :)

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.