Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all feel that the talent pool of the UFC is weak right now. The question is can the UFC draw contenders over from Pride or is it going to have to farm the talent that it already has available?

·
Registered
935 Posts
i hope so because the pride stable is much stronbger with the ppvs all evenly mathed or superfights and the ufc relys on one main event ala boxing if ufc could snatch any one it should be rampage who was a free agent not so long ago

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaiser1041 said:
i hope so because the pride stable is much stronbger with the ppvs all evenly mathed or superfights and the ufc relys on one main event ala boxing if ufc could snatch any one it should be rampage who was a free agent not so long ago
Rampage is an Ex-UFC fighter. Do you think that they should get back what they once had or try for the new names?

It would be nice to see the UFC try the Open Weight Grand Prix. That would be great.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Chrisl972 said:
We all feel that the talent pool of the UFC is weak right now. The question is can the UFC draw contenders over from Pride or is it going to have to farm the talent that it already has available?
i doubt it cuz they would make less money and most of them are there because they want to be champions in pride..they might be able to get some of the guys that left back..but i doubt that too..unless they can come and beat one decent guy and get a title shot after one fight like anderson silva..

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
yea they can Im sure they will sign 1-2 guys from PRIDE every year, but im sure PRIDE will sign guys from the UFC as well..i dont see all the best fighters ever being in one organization, thats how it should be tho

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nickman9000 said:
hell yeah. Nobody gives rampage any credit, but he wooped liddells ass.
Do you think he could beat Liddell now? I sure don't, I think Rampage has pasted his prime.

·
Banned
723 Posts
There really is no need for them to do so since they already have a vast supply of guy's that fight the US that would do it for less than the usual Pride guy. Signing Pride guy's is not really going to help PPV buy's either as the casual fans don't know (or care) about them. Its all a matter of economics.

Pogo

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pogo the Clown said:
There really is no need for them to do so since they already have a vast supply of guy's that fight the US that would do it for less than the usual Pride guy. Signing Pride guy's is not really going to help PPV buy's either as the casual fans don't know (or care) about them. Its all a matter of economics.

Pogo
Pride does have a MUCH deeper talent pool and the names would be well known soon after they got signed. If they're able to get a name like Cro-Cop or Nogueira, that would bring endless talent.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Chrisl972 said:
Rampage is an Ex-UFC fighter. Do you think that they should get back what they once had or try for the new names?

It would be nice to see the UFC try the Open Weight Grand Prix. That would be great.
Rampage was never in the UFC

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
asskicker said:
Rampage was never in the UFC
My apologies. I stand corrected.

I guess he would be a good one to bring in. It's just rare that he has such a well known name in the US and has not fought in the UFC.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
well, as of so far, i'd say no! look at the two most recent stars to have left PRIDE. QJ and Heath Hearring. now, while Heath might not be top 5 or 10 now, he was very highly regarded back in his PRIDE days... and his main losses came to Nog and the rest of the big fish... if he went to the UFC he'd be a huge force. QJ is star caliber/champ material wherever he is... two stars who would have fit right at home with the UFC, and the fans would have loved both of them, both being boistrous and loud, yet the UFC didn't do anything to get them. why didn't they? they could/should have... but didn't. so, how would they ever get any of PRIDE's top guys, or contendor guys when there seem to be many more options out there than the UFC would like to admit???

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that the biggest problem is that the UFC doesn't have the same purses that you can get in Pride. But you have to get the big names to get the draws to pay the big purses. Seems like a catch 22 to me.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Chrisl972 said:

hell yeah! imagine............a ufc owgp. shit would rock:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think one of the big differences is the gap between the top(title fights) and bottom fighters in the ufc. I heard that some of the recent title fights(liddell v Sobral) liddell made over $200,000 campared to some of the lesser known fighters who made around $5,000. Although the ufc has IMO the best welterweights in the world their hevyweight division is a complete joke compared to the talent in the Pride heavyweights. Both organizations have their own strengths and weaknesses. Either way I can't for the Real Deal on the 21st, it's gonna be a great event and good for the sport.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
as far as quinton is concerned...he lost his ferociousness after losing to the whole chute boxe team..he got the dission over ninja buut he lost that fight..and when shogun called him out he told him he didnt want to fighthim but that he would cause it was his job..and we saw what happened there..i think if they threw ramapge at chuck right now..chuck would destroy him..for two reasons..
1. like i said quinton just doesnt have the heart he used too
2. chuck is on fire, and im sure he really wants to avenge that loss..
i do think tho that if quinton fought some of the mediocre guys that are considered contenders (due to the lack of real contenders) he would beat all of them and in turn get his confidence back..which imo means trouble for chuck..

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
yeahbuddy86 said:
I think one of the big differences is the gap between the top(title fights) and bottom fighters in the ufc. I heard that some of the recent title fights(liddell v Sobral) liddell made over $200,000 campared to some of the lesser known fighters who made around $5,000. Although the ufc has IMO the best welterweights in the world their hevyweight division is a complete joke compared to the talent in the Pride heavyweights. Both organizations have their own strengths and weaknesses. Either way I can't for the Real Deal on the 21st, it's gonna be a great event and good for the sport.
$200,000 to kick someones ass. can't do any better than that.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
UFC really has to start paying their fighters better it seems more fighters are going from ufc to pride rather than the other way around and i think it was tito who stated it in an interview that when UFC was under old management they treated the fighters very well so dana should start getting his shit together before prides expansion into the US starts growing and people realise how pride has a alot more talented fighters than UFC i mean honestly thier middleweight divison is so shit they gave anderson silva a title shot im not saying hes shit its just he should have earned it but i guess thier middleweight divison is just that weak now then theres lightheavyweight divison which isnt too bad but most of there fighters arent experinced enough such as forrest, bispring, and hamill its back to how it was before with it going between chuck and tito (cant wait to see tito kick shamrocks ass tonight) then theres heavyweight dont get me started on that fatass sylvia however the lightweight and welterweight divisions seem pretty interesting lately

1 - 20 of 21 Posts