Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About Rashad having a bad chin? He's faced 2 monster heavy hitters back to back and took some of their hardest shots, but he survived, recovered, and still got the win.

People were making some pretty harsh claims about his chin, basically saying it's on Jardine's level. Rashad took huge shots from Silva but didn't go to sleep, and he practically KO'd himself on rampage's leg and took a massive uppercut right after, and still survived, finishing the round strong.

Rashad may not have the best chin out there, but his chin is very far from glass.

Reactions: UFC on VHS

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Yeah I love how people talk about getting rocked in all his fights but then somehow surviving and going on to win... Only Machida was able to finish him and that was because Rashad was being an idiot standing there when he should have pressed up against Machida to try and recover.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think he just sucks on standup, you may be right he did weather the storm twice in his last 2 fights, but his standup is really bad when he faces elite strikers, he needs to learn to defend and avoid getting hit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There's two things that go into this: chin and the ability to recover. In Rashad's case, it's his ability to recover that keeps him alive; not his chin.

In consecutive fights he got KO'd by Machida, rocked by Silva, and hugely rocked by Rampage. I would argue that, if not for Rampage's inability to land his shots on the ground, Rashad would've been out; dude was on dream street, even after he had gotten up and had time to recover. All of that would suggest that you can hurt him, rock him, and drop him, but he can recover and regain his composure quickly enough to avoid losing (except in the Machida fight, of course).

Rashad has a good chin, but not great, IMO. His recovery time makes up for it, though.

No doubt Rashad has the tools to be a top LHW for years to come. Somehow, and I don't know how or why, but Rashad is still hugely underrated by most people. I'll admit that I didn't pick him last night, but I picked him in all of his past fights, even against Machida. He's a top guy, and he's earned more respect than people are willing to give him.

Oh, and sorry for the slight off-topic last paragraph. Just had to put that out there.:thumb02:

·
Registered
750 Posts
How many people, other than Shogun, have you seen defend well against Machida's striking?
It's not just Machida who rocked him, Thiago and Rampage almost knocked him out too, and both of these were from a very gassed out Thiago and Rampage. As soon as Rashad gets confident about striking when he beleives his opponent was tired he got tagged and almost put out, now this being a glass chin or lack of standup skills can be argued.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But Thiago and Rampage are 2 of the heaviest hitters in the LHW division, I see no shame in getting rocked by them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
But Thiago and Rampage are 2 of the heaviest hitters in the LHW division, I see no shame in getting rocked by them.
I agree, and both hit unusually hard so in my opinion Rashad just needs to work on his stand-up defense, his chin may not be the best but it's definitely not a glass jaw like Todd's haha.

In his fight against Shogun I hope he works his striking because Rashad's got a monster right that may come in handy, Shogun is not gonna get submitted or put to decision so Rashad's best bet would be to t/ko him.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Rashad has great head movement but his chin is weak, he might have the weakest chin in the division. He may be able to run for a round or two but he will get caught and at some point he'll be in trouble. I'm sure at some point (once he takes on Jones or Silva) he'll get destroyed. Herb Dean almost stopped that fight in the third.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Rashad has great head movement but his chin is weak, he might have the weakest chin in the division. He may be able to run for a round or two but he will get caught and at some point he'll be in trouble. I'm sure at some point (once he takes on Jones or Silva) he'll get destroyed. Herb Dean almost stopped that fight in the third.
I highly doubt that Rashad has the worst chin in the division and most fighters will have problems with Silva or Jones.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
Rashad's chin itself is quite suspect but his ability to scramble and regain his composure has gotten him out of two very bad situations. Lets not ignore the truth though, both Rampage and Thiago Silva let him off the hook. Thiago's back was a mess and he was gassed by the time he hurt Rashad. Rampage simply forgot how to land a decent shot despite being in a fight ending position. Call it ring rust, call it excitement, he just couldn't finish the fight when it was on a silver platter.

Rashad's ability to recover is great, if allowed. Even when he made it back to his feet he was stank-legging all over the cage last night. Both Rampage and Thiago have nobody to blame but themselves for not finishing him. Against someone who is an excellent, aggressive finisher and has great cardio (like Shogun) I don't think Evans is going to be able to squeak by even if he gets off his feet.

Just my personal opinion.

Oh, and about the knockdown. He didn't get hurt on Rampage's leg. It was the right 3/4 hook that clipped his chin after running into the leg. You can see Rampage hit him clean with that strike. Rashad fell from it immediately after it landed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don't think he got rocked by Rampage's leg when he dived in. He didn't seem to hit the knee with his head either. After the collision he still holds on to that leg. But when he's hit by the uppercut his right leg gets stiff and he falls down. Yes Rampage is powerful but that punch didn't look like one of his hardest, even though it's very difficult to judge how hard a punch actually hit.

So I still think his chin is questionable, even though its certainly not justified to call it glass. His recovery seems good though.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
He is a smart fighter when he gets rock. He got rock last night but rampage did not go all out with the ground and pound. He got rocked in the Silva fight he backed up nicely and Silva was gassed. I think his chin is above average but not the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
True. Rashad is one of the top LHW with a weak chin. But he gets away with it with movement and strategy. Having a weak chin does not necessarily mean that he is a weak fighter, there is more to it than that.

If Rashad goes toe-to-toe with other LHW, he is likely to lose. I think Evans knows this, he is smart and he won't risk it. He is beginning to embrace the GSP strategy now.

By the way, GSP is beginning to get sick with his way of winning fights. I can tell that he really wants to finish fights. That is why he is polishing his submissions and now, he is training with Roach. Kudos to him! Out of the topic but need to say it anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Rashad doesn't have a weak chin, he got knocked out once in 20 fights, fought as a very small heavy weight and has gotten hit by some very hard hitters. He doesn't have Rampage's or Hendo's chin, but so doesn't 95% of the population lol.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Rashad has been underrated since he was on TUF. The kid has an awesome wrestling game, and his striking is leagues ahead of what it was coming off the show. He has proven himself as far as I'm concerned.

Yup thats what I thought. I watched TUF 2 (i think) not a long time ago and LMAO'd at Dana saying that Rashad is probably the weakest link of all HW's.

He beat 2 guys and he still wasnt impressed.

I also think Rashad is very good wrestler and his balance is just amazing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.