Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carano recounts to FOX Sports:

"I remember talking to Dana White last year sometime in his office, he had the five top contenders in each weight class written on his office windows -- male and female -- and there were a couple names I couldn't for the life of me figure out, why they were not written down. Holly is the only one I mentioned because I knew they were in talks of negotiating with her and after seeing how talented she was and the most incredible work ethic. I felt it was important to mention she is legit and should be up there. He laughed and blew it off mentioning something about her ground game but then again he did sign her not long after that so I think he knew. She seems like she deserved that in her life and career."
www.mmamania.com/2015/12/21/10637532/gina-carano-last-year-warned-dana-white-holly-holm-was-legit-he-laughed-blew-it-off-mma

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
Doesn't make any sense. If we all knew about her being a boxing world champion with kick KOs...Dana White knew about it. If she said "Holly will beat Ronda", fair enough, but if just signing her was the situation I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I didn't know anything about her...sadly. A friend asked if she had any chance whatsoever. I only researched her the week of the fight. Besides being world champion and training in a world class facility nothing that would indicate she'd be able to repel Ronda's clinch/submission game. Wish I paid closer attention cuz odds like that is very hard to come by. That's some serious money making odds. Made a bit off Conor, but it'll be too hard now moving forward.

Carano is still one of my favorites. She actually rolled to a club a friend works at, but her bodyguards wouldn't allow cameras so she opted not to go in.

·
The Title Guy
17,294 Posts
I got wind of Holly's time in MMA well before her UFC debut mainly because of her time in Legacy FC. There was a time I paid attention there. Though her fight with Raquel Pennington to me wasn't impressive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I got wind of Holly's time in MMA well before her UFC debut mainly because of her time in Legacy FC. There was a time I paid attention there. Though her fight with Raquel Pennington to me wasn't impressive.
Neither of her fights before Ronda were impressive really. However Winkijon said that they were intentionally having holly hold back to get more rounds in, in her two fights before Ronda which I kind of believe now because wow. She was a totally different fighter in that Ronda fight compared to her two before that.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Dana has been wrong about a lot of things like anyone in this business who actively makes predictions would be. Like the time Dana said women would never compete in the UFC, the time Dana said Renan Barao was one of the best pound 4 pound fighters in the world right before he got dethroned by TJ Dillashaw.

If someone did research and compiled a top #10 list of all the things Dana has been wrong about, there would be a lot of material people don't even remember.

Before coming to the UFC, Holly Holm had finished all of her fights by KO/TKO except one. She had something like a 80%-90% KO/TKO rate. People overlooked Holly because of her boxing background. If Ronda has been training in an MMA gym for 5 years, Holly has been training in an MMA gym for something like 15 years. It might be said that Holly has 2 or 3 times the amount of MMA training that Ronda does. That could be something people aren't recognizing.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Gina trained at Jackson's for a few months prior to retiring, I think Holm was just starting there at that time too. She must've seen something in her that Dana couldn't see.

·
The Title Guy
17,294 Posts
That and one has to remember that Holly didn't have too many big name fighters on her resume before the UFC. In fact both of her UFC fights are not big name fighters. Because of that people underestimated her, myself included.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Before the UFC she fought fighters with losing records,or 40yr old fighters that hadn't fought in close to 3-4 yrs, so I'd forgive Dana for underestimating Holly.

·
The Title Guy
17,294 Posts
Well on top of that her manager kind of likes to market her as a big name fighter because of her time in boxing. She didn't come to the UFC sooner because the dude was basically demanding too much. He's also the guy who maybe trying to deal with the long planned inactivity wrong which is why Fertitta's stepping in.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
Even with all of the stuff above being true, even I, who had barely watched any of her fights, said that Holly Vs Ronda would be an extremely interesting fight (rescinded after Ronda got more dominant and Holm didn't look great in UFC).

If random dudes who don't make a penny off of this like me know who Holm is...Dana White did too.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Even with all of the stuff above being true, even I, who had barely watched any of her fights, said that Holly Vs Ronda would be an extremely interesting fight (rescinded after Ronda got more dominant and Holm didn't look great in UFC).

If random dudes who don't make a penny off of this like me know who Holm is...Dana White did too.
Actually I think you were one of the people acting like I was delusional when I said she could beat Ronda.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
Actually I think you were one of the people acting like I was delusional when I said she could beat Ronda.
Not sure if I did or not but I certainly would have thought it. To be fair, it's another one of those "You can't predict it" moments. Holly Holm hasn't liked 5% as good as that throughout her entire MMA career. I also got suckered into believing in Ronda after the Bethe KO. To be fair, her power was clarified when she hurt Holly too.

If we did talk, I think I said I thought she'd over commit on her shots and get in the clinch again like she did in her other UFC fights. What I didn't look at was the difference between her other opponents being on the back foot while Ronda would charge at her (like all her next opponents will). Little bit like how Pacquiao can look bad against Mosley but like the best fighter ever against Cotto.

But did you really "predict" that or did you say "Holly is a boxer and Ronda sucks at boxing"?

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Not sure if I did or not but I certainly would have thought it. To be fair, it's another one of those "You can't predict it" moments. Holly Holm hasn't liked 5% as good as that throughout her entire MMA career. I also got suckered into believing in Ronda after the Bethe KO. To be fair, her power was clarified when she hurt Holly too.

If we did talk, I think I said I thought she'd over commit on her shots and get in the clinch again like she did in her other UFC fights. What I didn't look at was the difference between her other opponents being on the back foot while Ronda would charge at her (like all her next opponents will). Little bit like how Pacquiao can look bad against Mosley but like the best fighter ever against Cotto.

But did you really "predict" that or did you say "Holly is a boxer and Ronda sucks at boxing"?
I predicted she would probably beat Ronda about a year ago yes and I posted about it. Maybe I spoke out of turn by saying you were one of the people that blasted me for it.

·
The Title Guy
17,294 Posts
I was kind of skeptical considering her lack of big name fighter on her record. Not to mention her first two UFC fights weren't spectacular but of course her coaches had her hold back. That being said people were unprepared for her win.

·
The 55%
16,526 Posts
I predicted she would probably beat Ronda about a year ago yes and I posted about it. Maybe I spoke out of turn by saying you were one of the people that blasted me for it.
It'd depend on what you said. Saying Ronda sucked and Holly is a beast might have got a reaction out of me or something but if you just made a prediction, I might have disagreed but I defo wouldn't have "blasted" you for it you know?

2 years ago I was saying Holly would compete with Ronda and that only changed in 2015 when we saw Holly perform pretty weakly and Ronda destroy fighters with her striking as well.

There's not too many times I'd say someone is stupid or something for a fight prediction cause any day of the week you could end up being the one looking stupid there. This is MMA man, you rarely know what happens inside the cage until the door closes.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I lived in Albuquerque for a few years and Holly was pretty popular but I never saw her fight. Basically I think Dana doesn't know shit about anything ever anyway. Cant stand the guy. Never have. So glad Holly koed his meal ticket. I was tired of the UFC trying to convince me her dick was bigger than every guy in the ufc.

·
The Title Guy
17,294 Posts
Well Dana says he used to do scouting in minor leagues himself but hasn't as of recent years. However, I get the feeling that at the time he genuinely didn't think of Holly as having potential. She was just getting started in MMA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts