Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about "the old Shogun" being back with his win over Machida, and people talking about his career and about how this could be it for Lyoto (I don't think so,but some people have said it) It got me thinking.

What were some fights that changed a fighter over night. Win or loss, for better or worse.

A couple that came to mind were Chuck Liddell after he lost to Rampage the second time. He has one a single win since then. Wanderlei v Cro Cop 2, Wanderlei has two wins, two brutal KO losses and two decision losses, not to mention he changed weight classes.

·
Dexter Morgan
5,815 Posts
With all this talk about "the old Shogun" being back with his win over Machida, and people talking about his career and about how this could be it for Lyoto (I don't think so,but some people have said it) It got me thinking.

What were some fights that changed a fighter over night. Win or loss, for better or worse.

A couple that came to mind were Chuck Liddell after he lost to Rampage the second time. He has one a single win since then. Wanderlei v Cro Cop 2, Wanderlei has two wins, two brutal KO losses and two decision losses, not to mention he changed weight classes.
Shogun vs Mark Coleman (Shogun realized it was time to step shit up lol)
Keith Jardiene vs Everybody aha

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shogun vs Mark Coleman (Shogun realized it was time to step shit up lol)
Keith Jardiene vs Everybody aha
HAhah, I love the Jadrine one, it's like he wins a fight, he's amazing deserves a title shot, then he gets KO'd and his career is over, now repeat hahaha.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Cro-Cop V Gabe Gonzaga

Mirko had came in to the UFC as one of the best HW's ever, if he won this fight he was getting Randy for the title next, he was famed for stalking oponents around the ring looking for his trademark LHK KO. Gonzaga does that very thing to him, and he has just never looked the same since. I doubt he'll ever get so near a title in the UFC again.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Cro-Cop V Gabe Gonzaga

Mirko had came in to the UFC as one of the best HW's ever, if he won this fight he was getting Randy for the title next, he was famed for stalking oponents around the ring looking for his trademark LHK KO. Gonzaga does that very thing to him, and he has just never looked the same since. I doubt he'll ever get so near a title in the UFC again.
This one is probably the biggest one

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
JDS knocking out Werdum was a good one. How about Duffee's quick KO? Bet he made a ton of fans with that fight.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Kenny Florian VS Sean Sherk...

This fight turned Kenny into an machine.

Since that loss Kenny has defeated........

Roger Huerta
Joe Lauzon
Joe Stephenson
Takanori Gomi
Clay Guida
and
Din Thomas

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Since his loss to Fedor he's lost two in a row to Brett Rogers and freakin Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva!
Bigfoot is a beast though.. no shame in that.

·
The Title Guy
18,063 Posts
Beast?

The only notable guy that he beat before defeating Arlovski was Ricco Rodriguez! I don't care if he won three championships before that, the only people he's proven himself against have been washed up former UFC champions!

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Jon Jones dominating Stephan Bonnar had a massive impact on his career.

Bonnar was considered the favourite I think and although 'Bones' beat Gusmao which is impressive for a guy that age, it was a huge win and Jones looked spectacular with suplexes, spinning back elbows and natural ability.

After that fight, he was looked at as the best prospect in MMA and a future champion in the UFC.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Jon Jones dominating Stephan Bonnar had a massive impact on his career.

Bonnar was considered the favourite I think and although 'Bones' beat Gusmao which is impressive for a guy that age, it was a huge win and Jones looked spectacular with suplexes, spinning back elbows and natural ability.

After that fight, he was looked at as the best prospect in MMA and a future champion in the UFC.
I agree with you here.... that victory really seemed to give Bones an added momentum....

I think everyone was surprised how handily Bones took care of Bonnar...

Walking through Hamil and Vera next if proof of that for sure.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I agree with you here.... that victory really seemed to give Bones an added momentum....

I think everyone was surprised how handily Bones took care of Bonnar...

Walking through Hamil and Vera next if proof of that for sure.:thumbsup:
Even showing great takedown defence and the ability to finish fights with submissions against O'Brien was great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.