Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with a loss against Lesnar, Carwin definitely proved himself as the most dominant striker in the UFC Heavyweight Division, and he probably has the most dangerous hands in MMA. Another guy in the UFC heavyweight division on his way to the top is Junior Dos Santos. JDS is pretty much known for his great hands and amazing standup, that allowed him to defeat Werdum in his first UFC fight, by knockout, very quickly. The same Werdum that defeated Fedor. So, who else here thinks that a Carwin vs JDS fight would be great, and who do you think would win that fight?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think Carwin and JDS should fight for the number one contender spot. JDS is up there and Carwin had a good showing.
If I was Carwin I would try to take the fight to the ground and GNP. I think that would be his best shot at winning (Junior hasn't proven his ground game but would be great for me if he has it).

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I know it's not fair to poor old JDS, but Carwin vs. Dos Santos is a fight I've been wanting to see for ages. Bit of a tricky situation. You can't give Carwin a number one contender, in that he at least has to slip somewhat down the ranks. But you obviously have to give him a high caliber fighter considering he just fought for the title. I mean, who else comes to mind other than JDS? Kongo? Fun fight, but big step backwards. Struve, Nelson, Schaub, Rothwell? Again, perhaps too big a step down in most cases. JDS looks like the only option, the poor guy, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carwin definitely has GNP, but I think he has stand up good enough to go to war with JDS. JDS has never proven himself on the ground so Carwin could look there if he got in trouble, but you saw how Carwin closed the distance, got into dirty boxing mode, and rocked Lesnar who is a beast and very powerful guy that most people would be afraid to stand with. I would like to see a slug fest if they fought, and I definitely want to see it happen of JDS beats Nelson ( which he should ).

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
My first choice would be JDS but it that isn't going to happen. JDS is guaranteed to wait to fight the winner of Brock/Cain, after he beats Big Country

After that my choices would be CroCop, Pat Barry or Big Country I guess

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Carwin v Dos Santos/Nelson

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the JDS/Nelson loser fights Carwin, I really hope Nelson wins that fight, because he will just lay on top of Carwin. There is no way he would stand with him, but I know JDS would put on a show and go out there throwing hands with him. JDS will probably win but hopefully not because him vs Carwin would be great.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I dunno who is next for Carwin, but whoever it is...I feel bad for them.

If I could pick who he could fight, I would pit him up against Fedor. I would cream my pants If I seen Fedor fight Carwin, one coming off a technical error loss, the other coming off a fight he could have very well won.

Really though, whoever they feed Carwin is getting demolished. I don't care if it's JDS, Mir, Couture, Nelson, Kongo, it really doesn't matter...Carwin is a beast, the only one who can put up a good match against him is Brock. What I saw him do to Brock in the 1st round was unreal...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't like Fedor vs Carwin. Fedor is a very technical striker, if Carwin tried to close the distance Fedor could take him down and use his experience and higher tier ground game to work him. I am sure there would be some good stand-up exchange but I see Fedor taking him down. I like watching Carwin to see a standup war.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I'm a big Junior Dos Santos fan, and I have much respect for Shane Carwin. If that fight were to happen it would be kind of bitter sweet. Carwin clearly has some strong punches and heavy hitting hands, but the truth is he's really only great in the dirty boxing. One thing people forget is that Gonzaga was tooling Carwin pretty bad before he got caught with that six inch freak jab. What I'm saying is, if it remains a boxing match, Junior owns Carwin... with ease most likely, but if Carwin feels like he's in trouble and gets Junior to the fence, then it's probably going to be lights out for JDS.

Having said all that, I think they need to bring Overreem over and let Carwin welcome him! That's a dream fight for me.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
JDS would wreck carwin on the feet, The best chance he has is to take JDS down, which i think would be his game plan.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Personally, I think JDS would get destroyed by Carwin. JDS's striking may be better, but Carwin can take a mean punch, and he hits MUCH harder than JDS...If Carwin gets a take down, you better believe JDS is going to get ground and pounded through the floor matt, I just don't see anyone other than Brock being a threat to Carwin, maybe Cain or super Mir again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.