Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cesar Gracie: “It’s really a bunch of pussies latching onto this and trying to make it a bigger deal”

Cesar Gracie, the trainer of a trio of Strikeforce champions, has seemingly done a bit of a u-turn on his apology over the brawl in Nashville this weekend involving his students, asking how damaging will it really be to the sport and pointing to people making it more than it actually is.
Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Gracie said:

“My biggest problem with what happened is that it distracted from the fights. (We) just saw two of my very best guys have masterful performances – tactically, physically and everything – and people are talking about the post-fight fight that should have never happened.”

“I told them that this distracts from the real fights. It doesn’t help anybody. Nobody’s getting paid for fighting after the fight. It makes crybabies come out there and talk about it more, and then we have to do interviews talking about crybabies.”

“How would it be damaging? If you’re a sports fan, you’re used to seeing fights all the time. It’s really, seriously, a bunch of pussies latching on to this and trying to make it a bigger deal than it is. Is it a good thing? It’s not a good thing. We’re sorry. Everybody involved has apologized.”

“But you’ve got a lot of crybabies that are going to latch on to this to the bitter end, but they’re not going to say anything when a hockey game has fights every night. Young sport, old sport – people are making a much bigger deal than this. It’s hype; it’s all hype.”

On how Shields could have handled Millers approach a little better, Gracie suggested:

“’Who are you again? I just beat Dan Henderson. Your fight wasn’t even telecast.’ That would have been the professional way to handle that, not pushing the guy, not throwing punches when he came flying back at my guys. It wasn’t the smart way to handle it. It was the emotional way to handle it.”

“Let the dust settle a little bit. This stuff happens. Let’s grow from it and not do it again.”

Strikeforce and television broadcaster, CBS have yet to decide whether any punishment will be handed out to the fighters involved in the skirmish. Stay tuned to MMABay for updates.

Reactions: Foose

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think this whole article explains why Gracie Jiu Jitsu has fallen into the wayside.

If the trainer talks and acts like this then why be shocked when his students act the same way. He is there to set an example and no matter how talented his fighters may be his example is horrible if his attitude it truly like this.

This explains why I always felt that Royce was acting arrogant even when he says things that shouldn't seem that way. Much in the way I feel about Anderson Silva now.

Reactions: Foose

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think this whole article explains why Gracie Jiu Jitsu has fallen into the wayside.

If the trainer talks and acts like this then why be shocked when his students act the same way. He is there to set an example and no matter how talented his fighters may be his example is horrible if his attitude it truly like this.

This explains why I always felt that Royce was acting arrogant even when he says things that shouldn't seem that way. Much in the way I feel about Anderson Silva now.
I agree with this 100% . . . especially about Royce Gracie. Royce, IMO, never acted with respect for his opponents. In fact, he always held his holds for as long as he could to try to do damage to the guy. Look at his old fights. Big John always had to almost yank him off the opponent. I was in awe of him at the time because of what he could do to guys much larger than he was. But at the same time always felt like he was a jerk for trying to inflict any amount of extra pain as he could.

I also love how Cesar first apologized, then changed his tune to make it out to not be that big a deal. The fact is that these guys are "supposed" to be professionals. But, they act like street thugs on national TV. Even to the die hard MMA fan (myself) this IS a big deal Mr. Gracie. This brawl set MMA back big time. The casual fan is what these shows are meant to attract. Well now, to the casual fan, MMA is exactly what most people view . . . no brained, *******, punk, street fighters.

Congratulations to youu and your "camp" Mr. Gracie. Thanks for what you contributed to the real sport of MMA. And, thanks for calling all the fans that you were trying to attract pussies!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I 100% agree with Cesar Gracie--- it happens in ALL SPORTS---doesn’t make it right---BUT let’s get over it already--- it’s a COMBAT sport emotions run high--- things happen--- it is what it is--- ITS NO BIG DEAL AT ALL--- it WILL NOT affect the sport ONE BIT it won’t affect the sport any more than a fight at a major league baseball game where a pitcher accidently hits the batter with the ball and the dug out empties itself onto the field.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I 100% agree with Cesar Gracie--- it happens in ALL SPORTS---doesn’t make it right---BUT let’s get over it already--- it’s a COMBAT sport emotions run high--- things happen--- it is what it is--- ITS NO BIG DEAL AT ALL--- it WILL NOT affect the sport ONE BIT it won’t affect the sport any more than a fight at a major league baseball game where a pitcher accidently hits the batter with the ball and the dug out empties itself onto the field.
So your saying if a basketball or hockey player got jumped by 4 or 5 players from the other team after the game nobody would say anything, no big deal, and no one would be suspended?

Not likely.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
So your saying if a basketball or hockey player got jumped by 4 or 5 players from the other team after the game nobody would say anything, no big deal, and no one would be suspended?

Not likely.
Nope NOT SAYING THAT AT ALL---

1. Miller should have NOT been in there to begin with, for sticking his nose in the wrong hole he had what was coming to him, I assure you next time he will think of it twice.

2. I am NOT condoning the after fight--- fight it should have never happened.

3. All sports have fights and they are still going strong, this fight WILL NOT damage MMA as fights haven’t ever damaged any other major sport like Hockey, Baseball, football, Soccer, boxing or any other sport.

Everyone has their panties in a wad over a little insignificant scuffle that means nothing when you come to look at it through the bigger screen, look at the bigger picture--- it will not and will NEVER hurt the sport--- NOTHING really happened--- it was a little cat fight, LOL.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Cesar Gracie: “It’s really a bunch of pussies latching onto this and trying to make it a bigger deal”
That's not really what I expect to hear out of a gracie. Shouldn't martial artists of their caliber have the utmost self discipline and respect for other fighters?

If Coker doesn't handle this properly he's going to further delegitimze SF in my opinion.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't think it's so much the idea that no one was hurt, which is great. It's more or less the idea of 5-6 guys jumping on one guy on national TV. It's just not right and just not a good example of what MMA is.

Let's remember that we all love MMA and these guys are some of the biggest representatives of that sport. They should act accordingly not only for themselves and their camps, but for the fans. The fans deserve better than a bunch of overgrown bullies jumping on one guy and trying to beat the crap out of him. Hell, if that's what I wanted to see I'd just go hang out at some really shady bars down here and watch a few guys get jumped.

I also don't believe that it's the same as a fight happening in baseball, football, hockey, soccer, or even tennis. Those are all older sports that have legitimized themselves. MMA is a fairly new sport that is still suspect in the eyes of many. The last thing a sport that's already under scrutiny needs is more fuel to the fire. Whether we like it or not MMA is in the crosshairs of many who consider it human cock fighting, which is exactly what Cesar Gracies camp portrayed it as Saturday night.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't think it was so much the fight, but rather the perception of the fight. It was just wrong and will be taken as such, and the last thing MMA needs is more critics. Do I think it will kill MMA? Hell no, it's going to take a lot more than some 30 second scuffle to kill MMA. It still doesn't look good though.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I don't think it's so much the idea that no one was hurt, which is great. It's more or less the idea of 5-6 guys jumping on one guy on national TV. It's just not right and just not a good example of what MMA is.

Let's remember that we all love MMA and these guys are some of the biggest representatives of that sport. They should act accordingly not only for themselves and their camps, but for the fans. The fans deserve better than a bunch of overgrown bullies jumping on one guy and trying to beat the crap out of him. Hell, if that's what I wanted to see I'd just go hang out at some really shady bars down here and watch a few guys get jumped.

I also don't believe that it's the same as a fight happening in baseball, football, hockey, soccer, or even tennis. Those are all older sports that have legitimized themselves. MMA is a fairly new sport that is still suspect in the eyes of many. The last thing a sport that's already under scrutiny needs is more fuel to the fire. Whether we like it or not MMA is in the crosshairs of many who consider it human cock fighting, which is exactly what Cesar Gracies camp portrayed it as Saturday night.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't think it was so much the fight, but rather the perception of the fight. It was just wrong and will be taken as such, and the last thing MMA needs is more critics. Do I think it will kill MMA? Hell no, it's going to take a lot more than some 30 second scuffle to kill MMA. It still doesn't look good though.

Sir--- I sure do not agree with some of your post, BUT I will say this--- EXCELLENT POST--- +rep

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
handle what for goodness sake? a freaking scuffle that lead to NO injuries.
the entire caesar gracie crew V miller? Ive seen many a fight in the sports worls but no one ever jumped a lone guy. The fact that there whre no injuries wasnt for want of trying.
You have 5 highly skilled fighter attacking one guy its not like a sucker punch or soccer kick from an average street bum.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Nope NOT SAYING THAT AT ALL---

1. Miller should have NOT been in there to begin with, for sticking his nose in the wrong hole he had what was coming to him, I assure you next time he will think of it twice.

2. I am NOT condoning the after fight--- fight it should have never happened.

3. All sports have fights and they are still going strong, this fight WILL NOT damage MMA as fights haven’t ever damaged any other major sport like Hockey, Baseball, football, Soccer, boxing or any other sport.

Everyone has their panties in a wad over a little insignificant scuffle that means nothing when you come to look at it through the bigger screen, look at the bigger picture--- it will not and will NEVER hurt the sport--- NOTHING really happened--- it was a little cat fight, LOL.
A little cat fight?

Who cares about the bigger picture, the fact is their whole team jumped one guy and were punching/kicking him while turtled up on the floor. The fact these idiots think this shit is acceptable in the sense anybody complaining about it are branded as a pus*y. Their attitude is ridiculous.

When have you ever seen a fight in another sport where guys are laying the boot into a guy on the floor, who's got half a dozen people attacking him?

It wasn't a small scuffle. Miller wasn't damaged because the Diaz brothers haven't got any power in their hands and Shields has the worst striking in MMA, but the point is it was completely out of line and deserves all the criticism they are getting.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
A little cat fight?

Who cares about the bigger picture, the fact is their whole team jumped one guy and were punching/kicking him while turtled up on the floor. The fact these idiots think this shit is acceptable in the sense anybody complaining about it are branded as a pus*y. Their attitude is ridiculous.

When have you ever seen a fight in another sport where guys are laying the boot into a guy on the floor, who's got half a dozen people attacking him?

It wasn't a small scuffle. Miller wasn't damaged because the Diaz brothers haven't got any power in their hands and Shields has the worst striking in MMA, but the point is it was completely out of line and deserves all the criticism they are getting.
That made me lol.. :)

but seriously this issue needs to be put to rest. the "fight" only lasted seconds and even Miller isnt crying about this shit.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Ceaser is 100% correct. all you pussies please shut up and go watch figure skating.

or let it go already and quit being so DAMN "outraged"

^^^Because this^^^

Have you ever practiced or been trained in Martial Arts...simple question????:confused02:
^^^Made me ask you this^^^

Yes Taebo :thumb02:

But really Taekwondo and boxing growing up. muay thai more recently. why?
Thats all I was curious where the Discipline and Honor that comes with training Martial Arts has gone from you? I trained TKD and Karate and FTR......I take exception with you thinking that people who find the Gracie Camp's behavior wrong are pussies.....

Think you need to go back and learn what martial arts are all about......what Gracie's camp did was sickening....PERIOD

Thats not really an opinion either when the basis for all Martial Arts is Honor and Respect.....hence the question...:thumbsup:

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
I absolutely understand honor and respect. I can say for sure what happened was not cool but its been blown way out of proportion.
Did the ceaser camp jump into the cage during the fight wielding machetes? Did they disrupt or change the outcome of any fight? No.

All that happened is a few MMA guys acted unruly, got into a minor scuffle that lasted for a few seconds and led to NO injuries. Why anyone would still be upset over this "incident" is beyond me.

I really think sometimes people are bored and are looking for something to be outraged about.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
If you consider 5-6 people jumping one guy a fight then it's you that's the pussey. Also, that number of guys jumping one dude and he walks away scratch free? Yeah sure we are the pussies buddy. :thumbsup:

Also I realise I misspelled "*****" but with the above way it doesn't end up blanked out, before the grammar Nazis come in.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.