Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Nate Marquardt (29-8-2) was awaiting a potentially pending bout with Dan Henderson for UFC 108, it appears he has decided to move on and face Chael Sonnen (24-10-1) instead at UFC 110.

Sources have informed me that the two are awaiting bout agreements and will be added to an already stellar card that the UFC is building for their debut in Sydney, Australia in February.
source : http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2009/11/09/marquardt_sonnen/#

I don't get it , hendo is allmost out of the ufc , and Vitor doesn't want to fight silva at the moment . why not make Marquardt vs belfort or heck even Marquardt vs silva .

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Guess you guys know who I'm rooting for.

It's not a sexy fight, from a marketing perspective, but Sonnen has looked good lately and his stock has risen since he beat Okami.

This could be interesting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chael doesn't stand a chance against nate. chael is happy to lay n pray for a win (he stated this during his run on bodog fights) while nate...well.

yeah, i'll be betting on nate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This is actually exactly what I expected to happen. If my boy Marquardt wins he will prob have finally done enough to get his rematch with Silva (which he will prob lose anyway unfortunately) and if Sonnen wins he either gets the shot or is only 1 win away. If he wins it will be 3 in a row with the last 2 being Okami and Marquardt so I think that would be as deserving as anyone else really but I expect Marquardt to win. UFC 110 lookin really good now. Not a big main event but decent fights all around.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
lol this fight reminds me of when i was thirteen and stood up to my dad and got my ass beat. nate is a monster at MW, i really wanted to see him vs hendo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another good fight in AUSTRALIA!!!

Come on baby!

ill be booking my flights to sydney soon

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Boo to this. Nate should be getting his rematch, not fighting Sonnen. Nate by first round KO. If Sonnen some how manages to take him down, Nate by sub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I gotta admit that I like Chael. I like the way he fights. He is not the best but he is out there to pound the hell out of folks and he is relentless.

That being said, Nate should be fighting Vitor. They are clearly the #2 and #3 in the division and Chael honestly is not.

I wish Nate/ Maia had gone longer simply to see how he has improved, but he does look sharp, and I think he would give Anderson more trouble a second time around...

... but Silva is so devastating....

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Man, even the higher ups underrate Nate. I'm not a Nate fan by ANY means (think he's cheap, has a stupid Florian look on his face, etc) but the dude's a top tier MW and is running out of competition. Then they give him Sonnen? wtf.

Marquardt is a well rounded vicious beast, he's going to walk through Chael and then continue his reign as the most underrated MW in the world.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well then answer this people - If Anderson is going to fight Vitor when he is healthy and Henderson is obv havn contract issues and may be out of the UFC - who else is there for Marquardt to fight??
Sonnen beat Dan Miller and Yushin Okami - the latter is a big win - Okami is a very well respected MW - so it makes sense for this fight to happen - both are on the winning track and both need a fight - so it makes sense to me.

Im pickn Nate to win this and hopefully get a shot at the winner of Silva and Belfort.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I can't answer that, but if UFC is making fights like this....I'm used to shit fights that don't make sense but get vieweres, but come on this is just insane. Know what they need to do, team up with Strikeforce, because as far as I am concerned Strikeforce has most of the top 10 middleweights.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Strikeforce has most of the top 10 MW's? There MW champ isn't even a MW, Silva, Cote, Marquardt,Maia, Belfort, Sexyama, Kang and even Sonnen would all beat Shields handily. More likely than not Okami, Wandy and Belcher would as well. Strikeforce is building a hell of a division but lets not get crazy yet, guys like Lawler and Smith have long been highly overated based on win over solid competition but they aren't fighting anywhere near the elite level.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Strikeforce has most of the top 10 MW's? There MW champ isn't even a MW, Silva, Cote, Marquardt,Maia, Belfort, Sexyama, Kang and even Sonnen would all beat Shields handily. More likely than not Okami, Wandy and Belcher would as well. Strikeforce is building a hell of a division but lets not get crazy yet, guys like Lawler and Smith have long been highly overated based on win over solid competition but they aren't fighting anywhere near the elite level.
Ummm. I'll has to disagree, I thinks Lawler and Smith would do very well in the UFC. Not that my exagerrated statement makes any more sense because of this, but I still think the Strikeforce MW division isn't a joke and they could compete.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
There not a joke but outside of Jacare and Lindland I doubt any of them would break the top 10 and Im sure Lawler would be nothing more than a gate keeper in the UFC at best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts