Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown in Works for UFC 116

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/04/21/chris-lytle-vs-matt-brown-in-the-works-for-ufc-116/

4/21/2010 1:06 PM ET By Mike Chiappetta

UFC 116 is likely to be the MMA event of the year for the titanic heavyweight championship main event alone, but the developing card looks quite intriguing as well.

The undercard will get a strong boost from a matchup pitting two of the UFC's most exciting welterweights, as a source close to the event tells MMA Fighting that a Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown pairing is likely for the event.

The fight would be a rematch of an August 2007 bout in the short-lived United Fight League. At the time, Lytle was under UFC contract but the Indiana native was given permission to fight for the local promotion. Lytle won by second-round submission.

The 35-year-old Lytle has consistently been one of the most entertaining performers in MMA, winning nightly awards in six of his last seven UFC bouts, including "Submission of the Night" for his most recent victory at UFC 110, a kneebar that he used to finish Brian Foster.

Lytle is 28-17-5 in his career and is 3-1 in his last four.

Brown has also won three of his last four, but is coming off a rear naked choke loss to Ricardo Almeida at last month's UFC 111.

UFC 116 is headlined by the epic heavyvweight title match between champion Brock Lesnar and undefeated challenger Shane Carwin.

Other rumored bouts include Wanderlei Silva vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama, Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos, and Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski in a rematch of their controversial UFC 110 bout, though several more matches will be added to the card in the coming weeks.

The event takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
FOTN. I see Lyttle subbing Brown just like their first fight, maybe in the first round this time though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow, this card is shaping up nicely. This looks like a very explosive fight on paper!! I see Lytle taking it by KO. Brown will stand and bang with him . . . that will be his downfall I think. Good matchup though. Should be a very entertaining fight.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Wow, this card is shaping up nicely. This looks like a very explosive fight on paper!! I see Lytle taking it by KO. Brown will stand and bang with him . . . that will be his downfall I think. Good matchup though. Should be a very entertaining fight.
A year ago I would have agreed with you, but not these days. Matt Brown has been wicked, and even though he got a bit derailed in his last fight, he was a revelation in his fight with James Thompson. THe Immortal is still young, hungry and is will no doubt have improved his sub defense. Lytle is too wild, and even Brown has a tendency to brawl himself, he has more power and a higher variety of strikes he likes to mix up. Brown via TKO in the 2nd round. FOTN easily.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Damn I'm torn...

I've been a Lytle fan ever since a friend pointed out how bad ass he really is.

Then I started pulling for Brown and after his last loss was hoping he'd have a rebound.

Little did I think it would be with Lytle much less in a potential FOTN.

It's kinda funny but on Lytle's side if he keeps up getting _OTN I'm gonna start calling him the Shawn Michaels of MMA. Because he steals the show almost every time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
100% agree that this will be a crazy exciting fight!

I'm not gonna pick one of 'em since I like watching both so much. I'll just cheer for energy/technique/willpower as I watch the fight for the love of the game.

I've been frustrated by Lytle's reluctance to use his ground game in the past, just rewatched his UFC 110 fight after you guys reminded me of it. Great sub!

Sidetrack: man, kneebars are dangerous. The ref was quick on it and Lytle released quickly and still ripped up Foster's knee!

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Seems like one of those fights where both men walk away winners. Expect one hell of a bout, and expect 'of the night' honours. Definitely looking forward to this one. Hard to choose who to root for... both fighters are exceptionally likable and entertaining.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Lytle has been one of my favorite fighters for a long time. He comes to bang but can submit in the blink of an eye. Does anyone know where he got his BJJ Black Belt from?

I love LYTLE!, so exciting to watch,in regard to BJJ, he got his belt from Marcello Monteiro as far as I know, but not 100% on that.
Another weird stat is that "he's never been ko'd or subbed" although he had a tko by cut and another tko loss to ALVEZ which I think was also a cut? anyway it is crazy considering fighters he's faced, Diaz,Hughes,Lawler,Serra, M.DavisParisyan,Riggs,Alvez etc.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
The Alvez loss was due to a cut. It was the first punch Alvez threw that cut him but still went, I think, 2 rounds before they called it. Lytle was winning the fight too.
I love LYTLE!, so exciting to watch,in regard to BJJ, he got his belt from Marcello Monteiro as far as I know, but not 100% on that.
Another weird stat is that "he's never been ko'd or subbed" although he had a tko by cut and another tko loss to ALVEZ which I think was also a cut? anyway it is crazy considering fighters he's faced, Diaz,Hughes,Lawler,Serra, M.DavisParisyan,Riggs,Alvez etc.

·
official thrash metal connoisseur
3,329 Posts
I hate this!! I'm a big fan of both guys so I'd hate to see anyone lose here. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts