Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After watching last nights episode, I have realized that Chuck has done his homework in terms of picking fighters. Throughout that episode, Dana obviously disagreed with me, but I think that Chuck knows what he is doing.

Dana said something about Tito picking most of the fighters that won their fights in the first round which I didn't think made the case that he picked the right fighters. If anything, picking fighters that won their fights in the first 30 seconds or so is a bad idea. If you disagree, let me just say this. Even D level fighters can win a fight in 30 seconds depending on the competition they face. It happens all the time. I don't think that it really tells you a lot about the fighter. A lot of one hit wonders have been in the UFC and demolished their opponent in very quick time, but then when in fights where they actually have to work and put in effort, they get demolished themselves.

Chuck did his homework by not only watching his fighters in action before hand, but also by looking up their records online and seeing what they are all about. Just because a fighter doesn't knock out his opponent in under a minute, that doesn't mean that he will be less of a threat than guys who did during the season, and Chuck knows that.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of these fighters get tested against competition that won't get put away with ease. I don't think that us seeing them finish an opponent quickly shows us that much about their overall skill sets other than how much power and aggressiveness they have. Now if they can do that consistently like guys like Junior Dos Santos and Shane Carwin have, it would be a different story then. Although at the moment, that isn't the case.

I think this season will be a lot closer than some people on this season may think.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
After watching last nights episode, I have realized that Chuck has done his homework in terms of picking fighters. Throughout that episode, Dana obviously disagreed with me, but I think that Chuck knows what he is doing.

Dana said something about Tito picking most of the fighters that won their fights in the first round which I didn't think made the case that he picked the right fighters. If anything, picking fighters that won their fights in the first 30 seconds or so is a bad idea. If you disagree, let me just say this. Even D level fighters can win a fight in 30 seconds depending on the competition they face. It happens all the time. I don't think that it really tells you a lot about the fighter. A lot of one hit wonders have been in the UFC and demolished their opponent in very quick time, but then when in fights where they actually have to work and put in effort, they get demolished themselves.

Chuck did his homework by not only watching his fighters in action before hand, but also by looking up their records online and seeing what they are all about. Just because a fighter doesn't knock out his opponent in under a minute, that doesn't mean that he will be less of a threat than guys who did during the season, and Chuck knows that.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of these fighters get tested against competition that won't get put away with ease. I don't think that us seeing them finish an opponent quickly shows us that much about their overall skill sets other than how much power and aggressiveness they have. Now if they can do that consistently like guys like Junior Dos Santos and Shane Carwin have, it would be a different story then. Although at the moment, that isn't the case.

I think this season will be a lot closer than some people on this season may think.
have to agree with you on this one.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll have to see how that goes. Some fighters don't use their reach to their advantage properly. See Struve vs. Nelson for example. Tito seems to have some decent strikers so far on his team so I'm sure he will be looking to utilize that advantage by emphasizing on it during training.

Although as we all know, once the fight hits the ground, it isn't much of an advantage anymore.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I would have picked my team similiar way Tito did, or atleast he picked few of the guys that impressed me most on their first fights. However I have done no research on the guys on the show like Chuck did so odds are he actually did pick more experienced and talented guys after all.
We'll see... Both of them are great coaches with great success on their previous coaching seasons so Im sure we wont see another Rampage-style coaching fail this time around. Maybe Tito indeed used his first pick advantage well and ends up pulling a win here, but so far Chuck is leading the show. ^^

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was thinking maybee Chuck chose the smaller guys that can make weight easily. last time he was on the show he had the fat team struggling to cut weight.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
It looked to me like most of the guys with the fast finishes were fighting really awful cans. Infact I don't know why they did a fight-in since it seemed like they set the guys they wanted to win up with crap competition and the only person who broke through was that guy who looks like a veteran of bum fights. Chuck did the right thing in doing some research on them and it looked to me like he got the best grapplers as well which is probably the smart thing in 10 minute fights.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but getting to pick the match up is more important then getting to pick the fighters. I don't get why Tito would decide to pick first instead of getting to pick the first match up.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Well I am kinda confused as to when Dana said Tito got all the guys that won in the first round... Didnt Brad Tavares win in the first round and he is on Chuck's team? I don't know about all the fighters but it will be harder for chuck to pick winning fights though.. Think he will capatalize on Chris Cammozzi being hurt?

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Noke is a very experienced fighter who has a great chance of winning this thing, however he didn't look too crash hot in his fight, especially on his feet.

Anyway Chuck has good strategy and a decent team, although I see Tito's team winning this one.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You just took the reasoning that Liddell gave and put it in a thread. Do you work for Chuck Liddell?

·
Das Übermensch
7,633 Posts
You just took the reasoning that Liddell gave and put it in a thread. Do you work for Chuck Liddell?
Lol, I know. I was hoping to see some links to some fight finders and what not. I kind of felt like Chuck was lying/embellishing when he said he did "research," but meh, what do I know.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Seriously, when they picked the guys for their teams I thought Chuck was picking the better fighters. All Tito has is loud mouths with crazy hair. Chuck will win this easily.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Dana says a lot-

But aside form the wild card fighter- EVERY fighter Tito or Chuck picked won their first round fight. Was kinda the point of having the single elimination to get into the house.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
Seriously, when they picked the guys for their teams I thought Chuck was picking the better fighters. All Tito has is loud mouths with crazy hair. Chuck will win this easily.
yeah Titos team seems to have a bunch of hot heads and by looks of it they turn against each other on the next episode.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Unfortunately the casual fan (and therefore Dana, much of the time) loves a loudmouth with crazy hair.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Well you put a group of guys that only care about the spot lite and your goin to have them fighting each other....I ready to see who leaves!!!

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
No I don't, and I know I gave Chucks reason and put it in a thread. It was because I wanted to discuss his reason for doing that. I didn't see any threads about it and it irritated me that people on the show had such little faith in his strategy, so I wanted to see other peoples thoughts on the subject.

I thought it deserved a thread. It's good to see Chuck taking the coaching aspect seriously.

For the record, I wouldn't mind working for Chuck Liddell.

Reactions: swpthleg

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
No I don't, and I know I gave Chucks reason and put it in a thread. It was because I wanted to discuss his reason for doing that. I didn't see any threads about it and it irritated me that people on the show had such little faith in his strategy, so I wanted to see other peoples thoughts on the subject.

I thought it deserved a thread. It's good to see Chuck taking the coaching aspect seriously.

For the record, I wouldn't mind working for Chuck Liddell.
I was just having some internet fun with you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts