Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/13/chuck-liddell-falls-in-a-finish-worthy-of-a-champion/

There's a funny thing that happens when you see a legend like Chuck Liddell knocked out cold.

One minute, he's larger than life, a hero to millions, marching down to the cage like a lion headed for his evening meal. A few minutes later, he goes shuffling back to the locker room with his trainer holding a bloody cloth to his face, and it's like he's somehow shrunk to half his previous size. He almost disappears into the crowd, just another guy trying to get out of the arena and beat the traffic.

The punch from Rich Franklin that ended Liddell's night – and most likely his career – at UFC 115 on Saturday night wasn't exactly a fierce one. It was nowhere near as bad as the blistering right hand from Rashad Evans that began Liddell's three-fight losing streak at UFC 88, but it was enough.

Liddell walked straight into the short right hand and the effect was immediate. Never does a former champ look so old as when he's collapsing to the mat from a punch that wouldn't have been worth mentioning in his prime. That's how you know it's time to quit.

Share118
At least, that's when you should know. If you don't, then you need someone to tell you. Someone like UFC president Dana White, perhaps, who's never been one to keep his opinions to himself.

Speaking with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani after the fight, White guaranteed that Liddell was done fighting. No discussion, no debate. Automatic retirement. That's not déjà vu you're experiencing. You really have lived this moment before.

After Liddell went down to a glancing blow from "Shogun" Rua at UFC 97, White made similar assurances.

"I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over," White said then. Of course, Liddell had other ideas.

But after seeing the vacant stare in his eyes as he found himself staring up at the lights on Saturday night, trying to make sense out of how he got there, you'd have to be either a masochist or a Tito Ortiz fan to want to see Liddell back in the Octagon again. His body just can't take this sport any more, particularly not with his style.

Not sure this was the best way to go out, I pray Dana make Tito fight Chuck to get back in the UFC, wonder what that fat head did when he saw Chuck get dropped???

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
Why does Chuck need to fight Tito. Chuck whooped his ass up and down the octagon twice allready. At this point Chuck's chin could end up ruining a fight with Tito and only soiling his legacy. That fight isn't necessary but I will support Chuck if he does end up going for this last one.

·
Gone Fishing
4,534 Posts
Why does Chuck need to fight Tito. Chuck whooped his ass up and down the octagon twice allready. At this point Chuck's chin could end up ruining a fight with Tito and only soiling his legacy. That fight isn't necessary but I will support Chuck if he does end up going for this last one.
What I'm also worried about is Tito running his mouth even more than usual now that Liddell looks very beatable. I like the hell out of Chuck but I don't want him to fight Ortiz. I know it sounds weird but can you imagine if Tito knocked him out? I'd probably cry:(

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He made Dana promise if he gets back in the UFC that Tito must fight Chuck, that was before....you know!!!

Why cant Chuck learn to keep his hands up coming in, simple fundamentls that Andrei Arlovski fails at as well...:confused02:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
He should never have been in there. Dana knew it, I knew it, but most people on this forum and Chuck didn't.

He should have retired when he lost to Shogun, that was a passing the torch moment and an obvious sign that Liddell's brain says no to impact, which could have been a lesson learnt without being knocked out cold.

Getting put out flat by Franklin is much worse, and it's sad that this is what it takes (assuming he retires) to realise the damage has accumulated and his body can no longer take it. And it's not regular old injuries we're talking about, it's brain injury.

Chuck said it himself before this fight, that he was getting hurt by shots that never hurt him a couple of years ago. The problem was he said he was taking time off to heal up but he obviously doesn't understand head injury and no one around him informed him you don't just heal up from that like you do a torn muscle.

I found it very saddening to see and hope other fighters can learn from Chuck's example. I fear Big Nog will go out the same way.

·
Banned
670 Posts
LMAO, the guy had a broken arm and still crumbles the pathetic "icebag". He was in with a beefed up WW that Silva pulverized twice, thats going out in a 79 Pinto.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
I considered Tito's injury a blessing in disguise mainly because we didn't have to see a third fight. Its just so pointless. If Chuck beat Ortiz again then what would it prove? Nothing, because we already know Chuck is a better fighter then Tito.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
LMAO, the guy had a broken arm and still crumbles the pathetic "icebag". He was in with a beefed up WW that Silva pulverized twice, thats going out in a 79 Pinto.

Wow your funny guy...you took The Iceman's name and made it into ...Icebag....WOW your one funny guy..You could take this on the road.....Out of all the thousands of comedians that are out of work you want to crack a crapy joke . Yes we get you dont like Chuck give it a rest and go troll some where else its getting very old very fast

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
My how opinions of fighters can change drastically.

Lke Chuck he is fighting a ready made matchup , he is an underdog, and he is fighting for both his career and legacy and he has trained hard. Once Joe Rogan says we have not seen that look for a long time it will be true for once and Liddel has had enough time to get his stuff together, and if goes to decision, don't cry Franklin fans cause you will be screwed.

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc-vbookie-betting/77488-ufc-115-chuck-liddell-vs-rich-franklin-2.html#post1200622

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
STOP hijacking my phucking thread!!!!!!!!

It was sad to see Chuck down and out but seriously, WTF??? Where was any...ANY...work on keeping his hands up even on the attack, I mean thats what his hole. The problem now is you could drive a 18 wheeler through that hole its huge, i still think he fights Tit-o....

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Why do you continue to disrespect an MMA legend such as Chuck Liddell? Seriously, machidaisgod, this man is one of the pillars of the sport of MMA, in my opinion. Without men the caliber of Liddell, MMA as a sport would not be where it is today. Do you realize how many fans, how many lifelong fans, Chuck has brought to this sport? Do you realize the type of excitement and energy this man brings, not only in the cage, but to the fans watching him?

You need to check yourself in the mirror, sir. You are disrespecting and dishonoring a man who does not deserve to be treated in such a way, and you are doing it from a position of complete anonymity, which makes it even more despicable in my book.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Tito has been convincingly smashed by Chuck twice, there's no need for the fight to happen.

Chuck should move on, it's hard to see such a dominate guy get repeatedly ko'd because he can't take a punch anymore.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Why do you continue to disrespect an MMA legend such as Chuck Liddell? Seriously, machidaisgod, this man is one of the pillars of the sport of MMA, in my opinion. Without men the caliber of Liddell, MMA as a sport would not be where it is today. Do you realize how many fans, how many lifelong fans, Chuck has brought to this sport? Do you realize the type of excitement and energy this man brings, not only in the cage, but to the fans watching him?

You need to check yourself in the mirror, sir. You are disrespecting and dishonoring a man who does not deserve to be treated in such a way, and you are doing it from a position of complete anonymity, which makes it even more despicable in my book.
I would have wrote something like this but i was too lazy so instead I just said that I hope he dies. Good post man.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope you get balls a become a man one day boy.
I would have wrote something like this but i was too lazy so instead I just said that I hope he dies. Good post man.

I can actually account for the fact that diablo is def has balls and is the man, when he spoons with me its like nothing else...:confused05:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts