Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol, Scott Coker is actually comparing Lesnar to Batista. Does college wrestling mean anything to this guy? Clearly not :confused05:

Strikeforce officials are still floating around the idea of promoting ex-WWE star David Batista’s mixed martial arts debut. The promotion’s CEO Scott Coker said the pro wrestling personality and his team met with Strikeforce following its June 16 event at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

“They have the desire to fight in MMA and we’re trying to put together a deal that makes sense,” Coker told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show last week. “Is he signed right now? No. But is he somebody we’d like to see in the cage in the future fighting for Strikeforce? It’s a possibility.”

The 41-year-old Batista, who was a repeated WWE champion during his eight-year tenure with the pro wrestling outlet, has no reported prior combat sports experience thus far, though Coker has been told that Batista has already hired a striking coach and a ground instructor to train with.

“Just like we did with Herschel (Walker), we’d have to put him into a gym,” said Coker of a potential deal. “It doesn’t matter what gym, as long as it’s a reputable mixed martial arts academy. He has to go in there and train because if he didn’t, we’d probably have a short relationship.”

Coker said Batista’s star power, and specifically his ability to draw on an equally strong demographic of viewers outside of MMA, is an obvious selling point for the would-be fighter.

When asked if former WWE champion and decorated college wrestler Bobby Lashley was under consideration as a potential opponent for Batista, Coker acknowledged that the bout had some cache.

“That would just be a fun fight to watch,” said Coker.

If there were any right time to sign Batista, now could be a good one. UFC President Dana White has repeatedly declared that his pairing of pro boxer James Toney against former UFC champion Randy Couture in August is “a freak show.”

“We’re not the guys that are putting all the circus fights on,” said Coker, “but in all fairness, look at Brock Lesnar. He made the crossover. Why not Batista?”

As opposed to KImbo Slice -- who was reportedly released by the UFC after a second-round defeat to fellow novice Matt Mitrione in May -- Coker said there was an element of surprise in how Batista would fair.

“I think Kimbo’s had his run, so to speak,” said Coker. “He’s kind of had his time in the MMA business whereas Batista hasn’t and Herschel hasn’t. We already know how Kimbo will do, so, to me, there’s a little curiosity factor (with Batista).”
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Why-Not-Batista-Asks-Coker-25496

·
Banned
820 Posts
Coker. You sir are an idiot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
uhhh lets see, Batista doesn't have a wrestling back gound and he is in his 40's... This guy is a JOKE!!!!!!:confused02::):thumbsup::thumbsdown::praise01::confused05::thumb02::bye02::confused03::sarcastic12:

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Coker needs to get it together. I understand that he is trying to get everyone talking about Strikeforce, but he needs to understand that it needs to be the good kind of talk.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
uhhh lets see, Batista doesn't have a wrestling back gound and he is in his 40's... This guy is a JOKE!!!!!!:confused02::):thumbsup::thumbsdown::praise01::confused05::thumb02::bye02::confused03::sarcastic12:
Repped for beating me to it.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Repped

Yeah Batista has about as much experience in any kind've background as Pudz, none! He has a bodybuilder background!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Call Randy and Toney's fight a freak show all you want but Toney is a World Class boxer. A Ring Magazine Champion. Boxing is every part of MMA as wrestling is. Wrestling is considered the best base and that is most likely correct but what Toney is doing is no different then what Brock is doing. The two most common styles you see in an average MMA fight is Boxing and Wrestling. Those two Arts are on display more than any other.

I use to have respect for Coker but lately he has been quoted for making some really idiotic statements. This is just another example. That Fedor loss has sent everyone over there into a state of delusion.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Call It

Toney versus Couture is a freakshow cause Couture is a veteran in MMA and Toney is making his debut. All Randy has to do is take him down and Toney is done!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Toney versus Couture is a freakshow cause Couture is a veteran in MMA and Toney is making his debut. All Randy has to do is take him down and Toney is done!
The point is Toney has serious credentials in combat sports. Whether he gets smashed on not is irrelevant. Coker is attempting to compare Toney to Batista. If Dana wanted to he could have made a lot more money off of James Toney by giving him a different opponent. One that is a better matchup for stylistically thus giving him more opportunities to fight. He is doing it to make an example out of Toney. An entirely different reason then why Coker wants to sign Batista.

Do I think Toney will beat Randy? No I do not. Does that mean it can not happen? No it does not. The fight starts on its feet. I hope Randy does smash Toney...I really do. But if he loses it becomes a huge backfire for Dana and the UFC. Simply because Dana made those statements regarding Toney becoming an example to Boxers who run their mouth. If that happens he will look even more the fool then Coker does at this moment.

·
The Title Guy
18,060 Posts
Toney to Batista

Yeah Batista is more than likely going to be massacred unless they place him against a kickboxer!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I admit that it can get confusing from time to time with both a sport and a theatre genre that have the exact same name, but considering that Coker actually works full time with these guys, he should really ask someone to explain the difference to him once and for all, and not give up before he gets it.​

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I want to see Batista fighting in Strikeforce against anyone, just for fun, to see what he is actually capable of. I'm not expecting him to become the SF version of Lesnar, though.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
Batista has no combat experience. He seems like a guy who saw mma at home at thought I could do it. Seriously who else is Strikeforce going to sign, Jake the Snake Roberts?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts