Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Colby Covington, Khamzat Chimeav is just some bum. Is that really true? Khamzat is on fire and has cracked the top 15 of the welterweight division. He is not a top 3 guy like Covington just yet but if he keeps on winning he will be at the top of the division very soon. Fans seem to like the idea of Colby Covington vs Khamzat Chimeav, it is just the type of matchup that gets people riled up.

What are your thoughts on this fight? Is Covington too good like the says and thinks he is or is Chimeav the next big thing? Who wins in a fight between Colby and Khamzat?

@pauliegmma

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Li Jingliang was Chimaev's 2nd UFC fight at 170, if I remember right.

Chimaev's 1st UFC fight at 170 was against an irish fighter, back when they targeted a Conor matchup.

COVID could have taken a toll on Chimaev as well, given how Chimaev seemed convinced it would force him to retire from MMA prematurely.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I really want to see Covington vs. Chimeav. I don't think it will ever happen. Chimeav is a midsized LHW trying to shrink down to Welterweight. Reminds me of AJ a few years back. You can get away with it for a while, but it's going to catch up to you.

Chimeav would be a beast at 185. I think he could actually take the title (not definitely, but possibly). But I actually don't think he can deal with Colby's cardio if he shrinks to 171. I'd pick Cobly to win that fight, if Chimeav actually makes weight. If he doesn't, the fight needs to be canceled, reshuffled, etc.

Otherwise, I'm curious what Chimeav does at 185. I'm guessing Costa is the logical first match up. I'm in. The new villain.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
That said, I believe Coby could make this happen by simply calling him out in typical Colby fashion. If he pokes the beast, the beast is going to respond. He'll go through hell trying to make that weight.

It'll also be strategic for Colby. The only way back to a title shot for him, is to eliminate Chimeav. Edwards has already said he'd fight Chimeav before Colby. He'll have no choice if Colby beats Chimeav (assuming he's still champion).

·
The Title Guy
18,410 Posts
We know that at full health, Chimaev is a beast so at his best, Colby would be quite a fight considering they're both wrestlers. However, in the long term I agree that Chimaev needs to just consider moving up to middleweight on a permanent basis.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
We know that at full health, Chimaev is a beast so at his best, Colby would be quite a fight considering they're both wrestlers. However, in the long term I agree that Chimaev needs to just consider moving up to middleweight on a permanent basis.
He would be a big MW from what I'm hearing. I've also heard Colby's a relatively small WW. He's one of the few fighters that cuts very little before fights.

That said, I really want to see this fight. I'm curious what kind of test Colby would put Chimaev though. He'd have a tough weight cut giving up some strength and cardio to begin with. What will he be like in rounds 4 and 5 if Colby weathers his storms? Will he fade?

Bottom line, it has to happen soon, while Chimaev can still get to 170. I'm pretty sure the greater part of his career will be at 185. Once he goes up, there's no return.

·
The Title Guy
18,410 Posts
If Chimaev is a large middleweight that means he is a behemoth at welterweight and it amazes me that some guys are able to make it to that weight. Sounds like he's basically being Anthony Johnson who as we know was depleting himself at welterweight and was still a beast. Then he moved up and was still a beast. Can you imagine a muscled Chimaev?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts