Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know about the false low kick call during the fight, until recently. Clearly Colby landed a damaging body kick which was ruled a low blow based on Usman's reaction to it. I realize refs are generally going to take a fighter's word of he's claiming a low blow. The problem is, dishonest fighters can exploit this, which Usman clearly did.

I think refs do need to side on caution, but I also would like fighters who do this punished and fined afterward when footage clearly shows they were lying.

Also, Usman claimed an eye poke which seemed legit from footage, until other footage showed him covering the wrong eye.

I give Usman credit for fighting well and stopping Colby after the fact. A fight is a fight, and refs will get things wrong. But faking a low blow to take a breather is a asterisk IMO.

I think they should run it back.

·
The Title Guy
16,703 Posts
Well I guess Colby will be sitting out for a while then because my understanding is that Jorge Masvidal is being tapped for the next title shot against Usman. Also I think Colby is being a sore loser and I was the one cheering for him that night.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yeah, he's not the best loser. But faking injuries during a fight is a not very classy either. Just saying, he has a point.

·
The Title Guy
16,703 Posts
I'll admit he has a point there but even before any of those replays he's was whining and gripping and complaining. The way to win people over is to be graceful in defeat and just go back and fight your way back up. This just makes him look like a sore loser.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he is a sore loser. But I have to admit it's much easier to be gracious in defeat when someone beats you fair and square. Faking fouls to gain an advantage and get a breather definitely can test one's graciousness. Would you pass that test? Maybe. I think I'd be tempted to be a sore loser also.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
I thought the ref in the last KSI vs Logan Paul was biased against Logan Paul.

Marc Goddard is usually a good ref. I got the impression he was biased against Colby Covington when he fought Hamaru.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
The ref for Ion Cutelaba vs Magomed Ankalaev. Seemed biased against Cutelaba which is why he stopped the fight so quickly to fk Cutelaba over.

Dan Miragliotta seemed to have beef with MVP when he fought Richard Kiely.

In theory referees are supposed to be fair, impartial and unbiased. In reality, they seem to play favorites as much as anyone.

·
The Title Guy
16,703 Posts
Well it probably doesn't help that many of them have their own gyms. Granted they do officiating training at their gyms but sometimes fighters do actually train there. For example John McCarthy was originally a Rorion Gracie student before he officiated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts