Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are forms of combat training that some folks have been playing with that involve using only your own bodyweight. Are there any opinions on this style of strength conditioning?"

I'll throw my input out later.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
if your meaning exercise to improve strength there are lots that use just body weight some more effective then others. Pilates for example, great for toning muscle and streaching both of which should be important to a fighter though kinda girly from a fighters prespective, not sure if any fighters use it never tried it myself but it seems to get results from what I hear

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I wasn't actually thinking about gymnastics, but it's a good example.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
hmm I can see that, its strange when you stop to think about it what could be used to help develope a fighter it also makes you wonder what may have once started as a fighting form possibly is disguise and has since been lost to the non fighting side, Take Capoeria (sp?) it is a fighting style that was hidden in a dance basicly, what if it never had the chance to come out again as a fighting style in the public and many more decades down the line people who did it just continued to use it as a dance and forgot its martial application? I wonder what else that has happened to in times past?

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
Yeah something like that could have been possible.
But that article and this article http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/ makes me want to take gymnastics or at least practices these exercises. I would be so friggin strong for wrestling and whatever else.
I also want a set of rings

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
Yeah definetely not.......But you could probably take him down and whoop him:D :laugh:
But they would be way to strong!!!!! I wonder if matt hughes does any of these exercsises???? And if he doesn't imagine how strong he could be!!!!!!!!
My dad used to do some Gymnastics in like middle school.
Like holding an L on the dip bar or just on the floor! I am practicing both and they work the top of your thighs like a B%tch!

this is what i try except i can't get my legs up that high yet but it is great for strength!
I am going to practice those exercises and get atleast somewhere close to being a friggin beast like gymnasts!:)
I also practice pistols (one legged squats)! They are amazing and i am just getting back into doing them again! They are great for evening out your leg power and adding weight to your regular squats!

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
slightly but I do not think enough being static is alot harder then holding a position while having momentum on your side and most breaking dancing static position are usually done after some sort of dynamic move and held for just a few seconds until gravity natually takes over I doubt most break dancers could hold those positions for a full minute or more

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
Yeah i kinda forget what the difference between static and dynmaic is.......
please explain. Yeah i just think they have some similarites like Hand Stands and like that those hand thingy's on the those two bars

1 - 20 of 55 Posts