Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_112/Penn-Edgar.HTM

I believe people running those stats are more methodical then fight metric i believe imo. Watched the fight like 20 time now and some time play by play. I love bj pen at 155 im no hater on him but people say that he clearly won are i believe biased on the fanboyis of there favorite fighter. those that will show u a close round 1 and 2 a almost 3rd round even but when u really re watch it U see an edgar rolling with bj punch and scoring point with those leg kick and good octagon control i believe. 4 round and 5 specially with bj gas tank empty because of the sinus infection ( i like bj but damm always some excuses JESUS franklin beat and stole the soul of david loiseau with a broken hand) In live people make mistake every one does. But i don't think any of those judge that nite for the co main event made a mistake. Probably the closet fight i saw lately.but it s clear Edgar won that fight

Bio
CompuBox Inc.
P.O. Box 175
Manorville, NY
(631)878-6482
[email protected]

CompuBox, the company that brought punch statistics to Boxing, is now offering its latest program, CompuStrike, to the Mixed Martial Arts industry.

The CompuStrike computer program counts and categorizes strikes thrown and connected during mixed martial arts fights, breaking down standing and ground stikes, as well as takedowns and submission attempts. Tallied arm and leg strikes produce a “total strike” count.

CompuBox Bio

CompuBox Inc. is owned and operated by Bob Canobbio. In 1985, CompuBox, Inc. developed the computer program that counts and categorizes punches thrown and connected in boxing matches.

CompuBox's clients include HBO, HBOPPV, HBO.com, TopRank PPV, Yahoo! Sports, HDNet, BoxingScene.com, MaxBoxing.com, ProBoxingChallenge.com, ESPN, VERSUS, MSG Network, NBC, Custom Special Tees, Inc. (Fight Program Content) Broadway Boxing, Ballroom Boxing, Turner Sports, Cedric Kushner Promotions, and various Pay Per View promotions.

CompuBox Inc. has also been hired by trainers Eddie Futch, Emanuel Steward and worked with champions Larry Holmes, Ray Leonard, Michael Spinks, Evander Holyfield, Mike McCallum, Pernell Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Mark Breland, Lennox Lewis, Oscar de la Hoya and other contenders to compile analysis on future opponents and attend the fighter's sparring sessions.

Bob Canobbio previously worked at Sport Illustrated and researched HBO Sports awarding-winning "Boxing's Best" Series.

Also manning the CompuBox keys are Joe Carnicelli, former sports editor at UPI; former Junior Lightweight Champion, Genaro Hernandez; former professional fighters, Saul Avelar and Dennis Allen; along with Nic Canobbio; former UPI boxing scribe, Dave Raffo; and noted boxing writer and historian, Lee Groves.

Operating the CompuStrike keys are MMA expert Andy Kasprzak, Jason Griggs, current MMA professional fighter Ryan LaFlare and former MMA fighter Erik Ott.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The stats prove just what everyone believed. Penn won 48-47. Also those stats fail because they actually called that a takedown in round 3. That was not a completed takedown. What is this amateur hour?

Not to mention BJ landed the harder shots all night.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The stats prove just what everyone believed. Penn won 48-47. Also those stats fail because they actually called that a takedown in round 3. That was not a completed takedown. What is this amateur hour?

Uhh, pretty much everyone scored it for Edgar. And if you only look at punches like I'm sure you did, you could score it for Penn. But, let's not forget this is MMA and every little strike, throw, and movement counts.

May have not been a complete takedown but it was a pretty nice throw.

Plus, these reports don't show octagon control, effective grappiling, etc..

·
Registered
703 Posts
Uhh, pretty much everyone scored it for Edgar. And if you only look at punches like I'm sure you did, you could score it for Penn. But, let's not forget this is MMA and every little strike, throw, and movement counts.

May have not been a complete takedown but it was a pretty nice throw.

Plus, these reports don't show octagon control, effective grappiling, etc..
Because none of that means shit unless you are Cecil Peoples or these other corrupt judges looking for ways to give fighters decisions.

How the **** does movement count for scoring? That's the most retarded post I've ever seen on MMAF.

Also, I should say, all of the intelligent(mods, super mods, admins, established members) had the fight either 49-47 BJ, 48-47 BJ, or 48-47 Edgar. Anyone else is just a hater, nuthugger or belongs on a UFC judging panel along with the rest of the guys who can't score fights worth a damn.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Because none of that means shit unless you are Cecil Peoples or these other corrupt judges looking for ways to give fighters decisions.

How the **** does movement count for scoring? That's the most retarded post I've ever seen on MMAF.
Oh yes, it's all a conspiracy when our favorite fighter loses a close decision. God damn you Cecil Peoples, I knew you had something to do with this.

Honestly, if you think the judges are corrupt, you're just looking for a way to justify the fact that Penn didn't give Edgar a whooping like you thought he would.

What does being a moderator have to do with anything? I'm sorry but being here longer does not give you a higher opinion than others. Also, the UFC doesn't have anything to do with the judging smart guy. The judges are picked randomly by the athletics comission.

Instead of bashing the decision why don't you give Edgar his props. He came in there looking better than he ever has and even if you didn't think he won, he did way way better than any of you BJ fans thought he would.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Oh yes, it's all a conspiracy when our favorite fighter loses a close decision. God damn you Cecil Peoples, I knew you had something to do with this.

Honestly, if you think the judges are corrupt, you're just looking for a way to justify the fact that Penn didn't give Edgar a whooping like you thought he would.

What does being a moderator have to do with anything? I'm sorry but being here longer does not give you a higher opinion than others. Also, the UFC doesn't have anything to do with the judging smart guy. The judges are picked randomly by the athletics comission.
I'm not a BJ fan. It was just obvious to me because I have a functional brain, didn't consume alcohol, and have knowledge of MMA. The judges are incredibly corrupt. I'm fairly certain the judges were paid off. And I have my suspicions about Machida-Shogun.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'm not a BJ fan. It was just obvious to me because I have a functional brain, didn't consume alcohol, and have knowledge of MMA. The judges are incredibly corrupt. I'm fairly certain the judges were paid off. And I have my suspicions about Machida-Shogun.
Lol, okay that's where any argument you can try and make from here on out becomes invalid. Corrupt judges? Man the things people come up with.

Bad judges I can understand but to think that these judges get paid off to make horrible decisions is stupid.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Lol, okay that's where any argument you can try and make from here on out becomes invalid. Corrupt judges? Man the things people come up with.

Bad judges I can understand but to think that these judges get paid off to make horrible decisions is stupid.
:laugh:

Yeah, I totally made that up. That's never happened before, ever.

And the judging is way too suspicious to be incompetence. Incompetence in boxing is usually measured by wide scoring margins between judges, and split or majority decision.

Never have I seen a robbery where all three judges scored the fight the same way. Never have I seen a bad decision where the scores got progressively lower for the fighter that deserved the win.

All too suspicious to me. Frankie's own cornerman had BJ winning 2 rounds of the first 3 rounds. No way three judges score the fight even moreso in Frankie's favor.

At another forum I post on, most guys were scoring it 4-1 BJ, I was one of the few who had Frankie winning the 4th, although that was pretty debatable as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I should say, all of the intelligent(mods, super mods, admins, established members) had the fight either 49-47 BJ, 48-47 BJ, or 48-47 Edgar. Anyone else is just a hater, nuthugger or belongs on a UFC judging panel along with the rest of the guys who can't score fights worth a damn.
im pretty sure that people that judge for a living are more qualify then us. Probably when u watch it live ring side in the best seat of the house make a deference in a point of view. no offence to established members lol. Im not a big fan of octagon control (randy couture holding u tight on the fence thing) but edgar was very active in the octagon compare to a rarely flat footed bj penn. Look like judge count that

·
Registered
703 Posts
im pretty sure that people that judge for a living are more qualify then us. Probably when u watch it live ring side in the best seat of the house make a deference in a point of view. no offence to established members lol. Im not a big fan of octagon control (randy couture holding u tight on the fence thing) but edgar was very active in the octagon compare to a rarely flat footed bj penn. Look like judge count that
Again, if you count that as scoring than you are incompetent and inept. Moving around =/= points. If so, Kalib Starnes beat Quarry by 10-8 score in the final round of that fight.

Please do show me where there have been corrupt judges in the UFC. I'm very interested to see your proof.

Corrupt judging is never proven, even when it is obvious. (Jones vs the Korean, in Seoul, for example. Eugenia Williams, another)

So that's a weak answer to be honest. It's quite obvious that the UFC has had some VERY suspicious scoring over the past year.

·
"I
6,923 Posts

Wait, BJ won it 48-47? How did he win the 3rd? He was out struck in the 4th and 5th and in the third Frankie landed 40% of his shots (the strikes were even in landing) and he was much more mobile while BJ looked to be accumulating damage.

Also, I would like to add to this thread that I've always thought Fight Metric is garbage. A ~30 strike disparity between the two is MASSIVE.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Again, if you count that as scoring than you are incompetent and inept. Moving around =/= points. If so, Kalib Starnes beat Quarry by 10-8 score in the final round of that fight.

Corrupt judging is never proven, even when it is obvious. (Jones vs the Korean, in Seoul, for example. Eugenia Williams, another)

So that's a weak answer to be honest. It's quite obvious that the UFC has had some VERY suspicious scoring over the past year.
If you're going to compare what Starnes did to what Edgar did then you have no business debating.

Right, it's never been proven but you magically know it's there. Well good for you. Go live in your own little world with your conspiracy theories.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wait, BJ won it 48-47? How did he win the 3rd? He was out struck in the 4th and 5th and in the third Frankie landed 40% of his shots (the strikes were even in landing) and he was much more mobile while BJ looked to be accumulating damage.

Also, I would like to add to this thread that I've always thought Fight Metric is garbage. A ~30 strike disparity between the two is MASSIVE.

Power punches >>>>>> jabs.

Also it's just my opinion, but power punches to face > leg kicks

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you're going to compare what Starnes did to what Edgar did then you have no business debating.

Right, it's never been proven but you magically know it's there. Well good for you. Go live in your own little world with your conspiracy theories.
You just stated that Edgar won a round by movement. Circling an opponent is just as valuable as what Starnes did. I'm pretty sure I have more business debating than a guy who thinks moving around the octagon scores points.

No that's actually called having eyes, and not being retarded and/or intoxicated.

50-45 is corrupt by any means for EITHER fighter.
48-47 Machida screams corrupt.
Hammill losing to Bisping, CORRUPT.

I don't settle for incompetence as an excuse when a 6 year old could've made a better call.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you look at the fight round by round, it seems as if the fight was a draw. BJ outstruck Frankie the first 2 rounds and the 3rd was even. The last 2 rounds went to Frankie. If you look at the overall fight, it does seem as if Frankie won by a slim margin.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you look at the fight round by round, it seems as if the fight was a draw. BJ outstruck Frankie the first 2 rounds and the 3rd was even. The last 2 rounds went to Frankie. If you look at the overall fight, it does seem as if Frankie won by a slim margin.
I would've been fine with a draw. I would've been okay with a split decision win for Edgar, with the scores being around the 48-47 range. But the scores were all over the place, and just reeked of a foul fish stench.

Also just throwing this out here.

Sherdog
----
Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Edgar (49-47 Penn)
Greg Savage scores the round 10-9 Edgar (48-47 Penn)
Mike Fridley scores the round 10-9 Edgar (49-46 Penn)

MMAfighting
----

Tough fight overall to call. Final round for Edgar. I have it 48-47 for Penn, but easily could have gone either way.

Fightmetric
---
49-47 Penn

CBS
---
Danny Burkholder- Penn with a right hand and a knee to the body at the end of the round. 10-9 Edgar, so I would judge the fight for Penn, 49-46. We'll see what the real judges think.

ESPN
----
Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Penn (49-47 Penn) Greg Savage scores the round 10-9 Edgar (48-47 Penn) Mike Fridley scores the round 10-9 Edgar (49-46 Penn)

These are ALL the RBR's I saw within the first 10 or so pages on google. I didn't leave any out to support my argument, although I'm not really looking beyond that because doing a search on "Penn vs Edgar round by round" generates a shitload of sites with the "This site may harm your computer" tag underneath it for some reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Really close fight.

My observations were that BJ wasn't shocked at the decision and even went over to congratulate him and Frankie was pretty confident he won at the end of the 5th.

I'd like to see a rematch. BJ will need to mix it up more and not just rely on his striking. Frankie is just too fast and it definitely discouraged BJ.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
I've watched this fight over and over.... B.J. won it hands down IMO.. there were rounds when Frankie landed damn near nothing and B.J. was jabbing his little face off and countering with hooks....

This fight wasn't even as close as Shogun-Machida IMO..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts