Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
That is only because of his sale of Proper 12 which I guess was a worth while investment if he sold that much and got that much money from a whisky company. It did make him the highest earning athlete and it's not because of a fight and it's certainly good retirement money. Now if he's smart with it he'll have a nice nest egg.

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was sad when people in MMA tried to act like Conor to emulate his success.

Now boxers on social media are trying to act like Jake Paul.

Makes me feel like never watching an MMA or boxing event again, to see people have so little respect for themselves that they would try hard to be someone else if they thought they might get 5 dollars out of it.

Sell your soul for $5 dollah.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
Conor's actions worked because it's Conor. Jake Paul's actions worked because it's Jake Paul and he was able to promote that event in a certain way. Conor used his success and was able to promote a cheap whisky brand to a multi-million dollar sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rumor has been ongoing for a while now but recently Conor's use of HYPNOSIS to boost his own success was exposed. Search for Conor McGregor Byron Leon on youtube. Video is quite epic !

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rumor has been ongoing for a while now but recently Conor's use of HYPNOSIS to boost his own success was exposed. Search for Conor McGregor Byron Leon on youtube. Video is quite epic !

Hypnosis might seem like something new.

Athletes used it as far back as the 1980s - 1990s that I know of.

Can't comment don't know anything about it, aside from pro athletes admitting in interviews it was part of their game.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
Honestly it doesn't seem like it helped him because he didn't seem any better in this fight then he was in their second fight. Like I said hypo-therapy helped Chael Sonnen but it doesn't look like it helped Conor. Hypnosis works on an individual basis similar to how supplements help certain people and not others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Conor McGregor is no more the highest-earning athlete in the world. Football star Lionel Messi has got this position. He reportedly earned $130 million through a lucrative contract while playing for Paris Saint-Germain and FC Barcelona and got endorsement deals as well.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
His training may have changed but there hasn't been an evolution because he hasn't become a spectacular grappler or anything. He's a stand up fighter and his track record against wrestlers has never been good on average.

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think Eddie Alvarez was in the same warm up room as Conor for UFC 178.

Alvarez may have given away one of the key training methods Conor used at the time.

It could explain how and why Conor's training changed.

If I can find the source I'm looking for, I'll do a piece on it.

Someone needs to, if only on Conor doing the complete opposite of what he said and did early in his career.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
I personally think Conor has hit his peak. He's lost two fights in a row in stand up battles which used to be his domain. The fact of the matter is that against good wrestlers (Chad before he gassed, Eddie making the mistake of engaging Conor at his own game) he basically has no game. He has admit he's trained in take down defense and it didn't help.

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think Conor is still competitive.

Poirier has the style to give Conor problems.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
Regardless of his training, I think in terms of skill he's hit a ceiling because he just doesn't have the grappling and just doesn't have the skills to try and translate that.

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like to hear more about that.

Conor's sparring with Artem Lobov, was the key to developing his precision. Eddie Alvarez was in the same warm up practice room as Conor for UFC 178 and talked about the methods they used.

With Artem retired, Conor no longer can train the same way to develop his precision. He switched things up, in an effort to fill the gap.

Conor is famous for saying "precision beats power" early in his career. Later in his career Conor is the opposite developing his strength and athleticism to be a power hitter.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
So it's another one of those situations where all of the right factors that blended to him being the best fighter he could are gone and he is no longer the guy who was able to pull together two title wins to get two titles at once?

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everyone knows hard sparring is the best method to be sharp for a fight. The downside are the injuries and wear and tear.

Conor and Artem came up with a method to get the best aspects of hard sparring while cutting down on injuries and damage. I think its a big part of Conor's left hand being so accurate and devastating.

I won't say what the method was. It shouldn't be hard to figure out and those who pay attention should have known the answer years ago, the way I did.

Maybe I'll post it later if I can find some sources for it.

·
The Title Guy
18,356 Posts
Yeah the problem with American Kickboxing Academy fighters getting injured regularly had to do with them doing hard sparring to the point they were getting injured regularly. I've seen hard sparring where it is possible to be sharp and not get injured.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts