Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
International Stalker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me, link me, or give any information on really good core exercises?

I don't have a medicine ball, or one of those balls you sit on at the moment, and I do have a weight set (with I think about upto 200 pounds of weights, if relevant) so I'd prefer it if it didn't include the former two, but if it's a really good exercise throw it at me.

Anyways, Thanks for any advice :thumb02:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
in my opinion the Captains chair is the best for your core:

builds the abs and obliques in a couple days. For best results. do 3-4 reps of 7 on these and you will notice the difference by next week. You can do these from pull-up/chin-up position

Often when people mention core they forget that your back is also part of your core too. I know yoga may be a little to girly for some of us hard knocks (lol)....but in my opinion the Shalabhansan (Locust) position of yoga works your back muscles like crazy

may look very funny, but most body builders/muscleheads cannot do it, lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
Deadlifts, squats, good mornings, planks, ect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
basic crunch, twist up, push through, right/left side crunches, up & twists, leg raises, leg tucks, 90 degree ankle touches, right/left cross crunches, scissors, right/left cross twists, head & leg crunches, 180 degree ankle touches, side twists, bicycle crunches, russian twists, half up twists, oblique crunches, super mans, hip lifts, side plank dips, oblique leg extensions, bridged leg lifts. There is 20+ that can be done on the floor :D. For added resistance i hold a 25lb plate behind my head when the motion allows.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A plank works your entire core. /topic

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
From my very limited knowledge about your core muscles...
There are the major ones... and the minor, more strand-like ones.
The minor ones are triggered autonomically/involuntarily... and primarily used for maintaining your posture/balance.

Which is why the yoga ball comes in so handy... basically, by bouncing on it and shifting your center slightly around, you trigger those smaller core muscles to help compensate to maintain your posture/balance.

I know you mentioned that you dont have one... but these things are cheap now, so its worth picking up.

I sit at my desk all day... and keep a yoga ball under it... then swap out throughout the day.
You can also watch TV or post here while bouncin... so really, there isnt an easier more convenient way to work on them core muscles

The situps/crunches & whatnot are all good too ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts