Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been threads about this before, but since we just saw Cote yesterday on TUF and he looked really aggressive and hungry, i have a new appreciation for him as a contender. I know he lost to Leben who was destroyed by Silva, but I saw something in Cote yesterday that was really impressive. Maybe I shouldn't look past Lutter but I think Patrick is gonna square off against Silva, and with GSP in his corner I'm thinking he could create some difficulties for Anderson if he gets him to the ground. Cote was very strong and aggressive on the ground, good movement and placement. He might be a bit stronger than Anderson and can toss him around a bit on the matt I think

·
Registered
540 Posts
It wont matter if hes a remote challenge for Silva seeing that Lutter will win the show. Also I dont see him make any change since his earlier UFC fights. He just get decisions over people. I know some decisions are very exciting (BonnarGriffin1 and KaroDiego) but come on Cote's a tough guy but even if he beats Lutter which many people think he will its not gonna be some unboring dominating fight. He'll eek out the win at his best with a desicion and when it comes to Silva he has no chance. I like Cote but I think Lutter will beat him and if he dosent Silva will walk through him in the first round. If he wins the TUF4 prize money I hope its enough to pay for the surgery he'll need when Silvas done with him.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
You're kidding right? Did you happen to see Cotes sloppy striking? Silva (now or later) would pick Cote apart. Cote is not stronger then Anderson Silva, I'm sorry but he's not. Don't let this show fool you into thinking Cote (or anyone else on this show) would even stand a remote chance beating Silva. The reason to begin with why Cote got Edwin on the ground is because Edwin was the one attempting the takedowns....if Silva wanted to take Cote down, he could, but instead of Cote does win TUF (which I dont think he is) Silva has no problem striking with guys that are known for heavy hands...if you catch my drift, thing of it is Franklin and Leben are better strikers than Cote. MMA is right, I hope the paycheck does clear his medical bill, if it be Lutter or Cote.

GSP is a good corner guy, but Rich Franklin has a great corner as well, didnt help him did it?

Also didnt help The Crow against Swick, and GSP cornered him...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think cote can hold his own...if you look back at UFC 50 when he fought Tito Ortiz he went all 3 rounds and now that he has dropped to 185lbs he will be a powerful opponent if he wins. Silva is an amazing fighter but you can never underestimate your opponent thats what Jens Pulver did and he got knocked out.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The MuscleShark said:
I think cote can hold his own...if you look back at UFC 50 when he fought Tito Ortiz he went all 3 rounds and now that he has dropped to 185lbs he will be a powerful opponent if he wins. Silva is an amazing fighter but you can never underestimate your opponent thats what Jens Pulver did and he got knocked out.
anderson would pick cote apart.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
The MuscleShark said:
Ah, so you're not saying Cote would be a threat, you're saying "Silva will lose if he underestimates him"..haha, caught.

Who cares if he went 3 rounds with Tito Ortiz, so did Forrest Griffin, and a bunch of other people.

He's not that powerful, he could barely get Leben to the ground, he got owned by Doerksen, he couldnt do anything against Ortiz except land one big punch, the only reason he even beat Jorge is he caught him with a vicious kick, and Edwin Dewees...obviously, isnt a strong guy, so when he tried to take Cote down he failed.

I understand that this competition means something to people, and people want to believe one of these guys are actually going to challenge Silva and will probably want them to win because they saw them on TUF...but Silva isnt the guy to take ANYONE lightly, nor the guy that's going to fall down to the hands of some subpar MMA fighter that won a bogus contest. Obviously people still dont know anything about the guy and he's the middleweight champion.

Cote...nor Lutter, isn't even same ballpark as Silva, nor do they stand a remote chance.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
this thread is just another example of people not seeing the difference between the fighters in the UFC and those on the world stage. cote is good, he's what you can expect from a solid UFC fighter, but he's not on the level of Silva... you talk aggression, well silvia has more aggression in his 4oz glove then Cote has in his whole body AND chin-strap!!!

until people realize the difference between UFC fighters, and great fighters... we'll have these threads!!!

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
pt447 said:
this thread is just another example of people not seeing the difference between the fighters in the UFC and those on the world stage. cote is good, he's what you can expect from a solid UFC fighter, but he's not on the level of Silva... you talk aggression, well silvia has more aggression in his 4oz glove then Cote has in his whole body AND chin-strap!!!

until people realize the difference between UFC fighters, and great fighters... we'll have these threads!!!
Not only that pt, there are reasons why these fighters were ON THE SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE...either

1. They cant beat anyone with above average talent
2. They got humiliated by a former TUF contestant

There are no logical reasons why Cote can even be a REMOTE threat to Silva...same with Lutter. The only thing they can even say is "Oh well..Silva might take them lightly"...hah..yeah, Silva is JUST that kind of fighter.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Alex_DeLarge said:
Not only that pt, there are reasons why these fighters were ON THE SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE...either

1. They cant beat anyone with above average tlaent
2. They got humiliated by a former TUF contestant

There are no logical reasons why Cote can even be a REMOTE threat to Silva...same with Lutter. The only thing they can even say is "Oh well..Silva might take them lightly"...hah..yeah, Silva is JUST that kind of fighter.
that's very true! this show is a cosolation prize to boring losers! they wouldn't have been asked back to the UFC if it weren't for TUF, so to even consider one of them being a thread to Silva shows a supreme lack of MMA knowledge and understanding!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The MuscleShark said:
Yeah, well said

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pt447 said:

I'm well aware of Anderson Silva's prowess and what he did to Leben and Franklin and his history in Pride. I'm aware that Cote got beat by Leben in a very close fight. But I don't think the complete destruction of Leben and Franklin means every fighter is going to be taken apart. A game tough kid can cause problems for anyone, look at Nick Diaz. I would surely pick Anderson to win but I think Silva's days of walking through opponents in such ridiculous fashion is going to come to an end

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
A game tough kid can cause problems for anyone, look at Nick Diaz. I
Nick Diaz lost 3 fights in a row against 2 guys with superior talent and one guy that's average.

Well I cant predict Silva is going to completely dismantle everyone they put in front of him, yeah sure some may go 2 rounds, but the guy who's going to even remotely push Silva will DEFINITELY not be Patrick Cote for christ sake.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alex_DeLarge said:
Nick Diaz lost 3 fights in a row against 2 guys with superior talent and one guy that's average.

Well I cant predict Silva is going to completely dismantle everyone they put in front of him, yeah sure some may go 2 rounds, but the guy who's going to even remotely push Silva will DEFINITELY not be Patrick Cote for christ sake.
But my point about Nick Diaz is even though he hasn't won a lot, he is tough, he gave great matches to all his opponents and caused them problems ... he was not beat up by Diego, Karo or Sherk and he held his own

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
But my point about Nick Diaz is even though he hasn't won a lot, he is tough, he gave great matches to all his opponents and caused them problems ... he was not beat up by Diego, Karo or Sherk and he held his own
True, but guys that feed off of all heart and toughness don't make it far in this business, unless they come from TUF.

That being said, Cote cant strike with Silva, he damn sure doesnt want Silva on the ground, all Cote is going to have to feed off of is

1. He's the underdog
2. He's tough
3. He wont quit

Fighters that have that to feed off of going against a superior MMA fighter like Anderson Silva is going to get dismantled...Silva is plain and simple not that kind of fighter.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think Anderson Silva is an excellent fighter who should hold on to the title for some time but I'm just not ready to say that he is the be all end all of the middleweight division. One day he's gonna lose and everyone will say, oh that's all they had to do to win against this middleweight god

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
I think Anderson Silva is an excellent fighter who should hold on to the title for some time but I'm just not ready to say that he is the be all end all of the middleweight division. One day he's gonna lose and everyone will say, oh that's all they had to do to win against this middleweight god
In the UFC...Silva is the middleweight god.

If White doesnt bring in other fighters from other promotions..the only fighter that can come close to being a remote threat to Silva is Rich Franklin...and well....we all saw the outcome of that.

Regardless, Patrick Cote will sure as hell not be the guy to push Silva, I'd bet the house on that one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alex_DeLarge said:
True, but guys that feed off of all heart and toughness don't make it far in this business, unless they come from TUF.

That being said, Cote cant strike with Silva, he damn sure doesnt want Silva on the ground, all Cote is going to have to feed off of is

1. He's the underdog
2. He's tough
3. He wont quit

Fighters that have that to feed off of going against a superior MMA fighter like Anderson Silva is going to get dismantled...Silva is plain and simple not that kind of fighter.
I think those 3 things you listed have been enough to pull off many surprise victories in the UFC time and time again. There are many variables that affect a victory and the greatest of fighters can go down on bad nights ... sure, I'd pick Anderson to win, but many a man has lost big placing a sure bet on a prize fight

·
I eat babies
7,647 Posts
I don't understand why is everyone always all over Cote's nuts? (not in this thread specifically) Not trying to be a prick but it just seems he is so incredibly overrated it's not even funny. He's mediocre at best. Silva would knock his head off his shoulders and into the audience in the first round. Cote, Dewees, Serra and basically everyone else on TUF4 so ridiculously overrated...but mostly just by the new fans...:dunno:

Sounds like most of you guys agree though :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts