Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I see Aldo a possibility in the UFC...in 3 years. He won't be moved until he's cleaned out the WEC and there's still plenty of fights to be made in the WEC. I see him defending the belt 3 times and because he'll be so dominate, they'll be forced to get him fights outside of featherweight.

I do see him moving up to lightweight, plenty of matchups to be made there (Aldo vs Njokuani would be a fantastic stand up battle).

I do not see Aldo moving down a full weight class as Aldo is already slightly lanky. However, some catchweight bouts against the top3 bantamweights is a decent possibility.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
1 title defense and he should vacate because nobody is in his league. Hmm, remember when Faber was considered unstoppable? Everyone was sleeping on Mike Brown and Aldo seemed to blow in from nowhere. Lets not write off the division after Aldo defends the title once.

·
Registered
367 Posts
People were saying the same thing about BJ and moving up to 170 before the Edgar fight. I think that people are too quick to declare that a fighter is unbeatable or that a division is cleared out. I think only GSP and Silva have really made a case for clearing out their divisions. Gamburyan definitely deserves a shot after knocking out Brown, and Grispi could be next after another win or two. There are still interesting matchups to be made for Aldo at 145.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Aldo has already beat most of the top contenders on his way to the belt, in convincing fashion. I don't see him beating BJ, but he'd put up amazing fights against the top of the UFC LW division against KenFlo, Frankie Edgar, Maynard, and (come back down to LW) Diego Sanchez.

What I love most about Aldo are his precise knee strikes, they'll make you think twice and three times about shooting in on him. Bring him to the big stage, new blood in an already stacked division is a good thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I say lets not waste Aldo's time. This guy needs to be fighting the best talent out there. Aldo has natural athletic ability. Tack that on with his training and you have an almost unbeatable fighter. He will simply OUTCLASS anyone in his current division. I would like to see Aldo moved to the UFC immediately. While he's young and healthy.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
It wont happen´.

Even if Aldo wants to. it would be commercially terrible for WEC.
They´ve had their first ppv 3 days ago and can´t afford to loose their better fighter now in order to continue being commercially viable.
Im sure Zuffa rather wants WEC to grow instead of Aldo.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Im sure Zuffa rather wants WEC to grow instead of Aldo.
If that was the case, why was all WEC branding taken off the event? There was no mention of the WEC at all. Not on the gloves, the posters, the commentary, the trailers, on the Octagon, nothing. You'd think if Zuffa were so keen for the WEC to grow they'd have been splashing the WEC logo everywhere? I see the WEC fighters and weightclasses being moved into the UFC within 18 months. It would set up so many potentially awesome fights, with either WEC guys moving up in weight, or UFC LW's moving down, or even catchweight fights. Imagine Aldo vs Penn, that'd be such an awesome fight. Even Aldo vs Edgar, or Faber vs Edgar would be brilliant fights.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
WEC or whatever rebrand their planning to it (Perhaps mini ufc :thumb02:)

Dana said that UFC is gonna absorb the WEC 155 guys, so my guess is that 125, 135 and 145 will have their own show.

In the end, seems obvious that Zuffa has a new cow to milk, so they are gonna feed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts