Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first hendo who jetted from the UFC for more money gets dominated by jake shields who is now a free agent.

ufc can sign shields and have him as a next opponent for GSP and/or Silva which would leave strikeforce's mw division with a vacated title.

if that wasnt enough a brawl breaks out live on national tv on their big CBS card.(dont see that TV contract getting renewed.)

with mousasi losing and shields possibly leaving for the UFC it looks like tonight was the beginning of the end for strikeforce.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Strikeforce won't die from it they don't lose money on shows. They will get some pub for this and probably lose their broadcast deal but Showtime won't drop them. Hopefully they can get out of the Hendo contract because I'm sure they are paying him too much to fight on showtime.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah today was really bad for Strikeforce imo. Dan getting dominated. Talks of him fighting Fedor lol. Dans an idiot for leaving the UFC, funny thing is he would of gotten a title shot vs Silva instead of Maia, if he would of stayed. They can hype Gilbert a lot now though, Shinya Aoki looked like crap tonight. He fights better in Japan because the refs over there let him piss around on the ground a lot longer. Which i like, i dont like how often the ref was standing that fight up.

Mousasi is still awesome, and King Mo is a beast. I knew he would win that fight. He just has so much confidence in his skills. I think Mo could do some crazy damage in the UFC.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Man, this was a great night for Dana.

One of Strikeforce's biggest stars, Mousasi, looked like a complete tool and let the fight pass him by.

The new LHW champ of Strikeforce is a cocky dude with mediocre skills and lackluster cardio.

We now see that even with three championship fights in a row, Strikeforce still had trouble with exciting fights.

Strikeforce's 185 pound champion is a snoozer.

Dana got rid of Dan, who really did look like an aging old dude.

And, oh yeah, UFC looks professional compared to SF who has ridiculous brawls breaking out post-fight.

No, Dana made out like a madman.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You also forgot to mention that with the UFC LW division being primarily wrestlers, Aoki would get killed in the UFC. I honestly did NOT want to believe that, but after tonight, I do.
Yeah, Aoki looked terrible and his performance will keep Dana from taking fire for not trying to recruit him. Another plus for DW!

I do love the UFC though, so what can you do.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
What does Aoki expect though. He doesn't improve his stand-up, doesn't improve his wrestling. Don't know what to tell the guy.
To me it's the same old story told over and over again in MMA. Guy is stellar in one area of the sport, becomes super famous for crazy wins in that area of expertise, and then fights a guy with a fully developed toolbox and gets exposed.

What was almost worse to me is that Melendez didn't take full advantage of every second on the feet to pound him.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
japanese fighters are so behind now its rediculous, they better hope akiyama doesnt get exposed as well. he didnt look so great against belcher.
I have noticed the same trend over the past few years and have really struggled not to make generalizations - Generalizations that my gut tells me are true.

Are there a few Japanese standouts? Sure. I'm a huge Yushin Okami fan. But in reality, lately against UFC caliber fighters, they have a terrible record.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The brawl at the end was an embarassment to MMA, so no one wins. As much as I love watching the Diaz Bros fight, this was dispicable, like a damn Tyson presser.

Aoki has amazing subs, but that doesn't mean shit if you can't get a hold of your opponent. Gil executed the perfect plan, and congratulations to him.

SF commmentary blows as usual, they lead you to believe that King Mo is gassed and done before the end of the 1st round, when clearly it is Mousasi that is gassed after the 2nd. Watching this fight made me want to see both fighters in the UFC that much more.

Damn, Shields is painful to watch, but his pace is more consistent than any other fighter through 5 rounds. He seems stronger later in the fights because everyone else gets weaker. His jitz is superb, I'd like to see him matchup against GSP.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.