Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hear me out...

Courture is 46 and talks like he thinks he can win a title. I don't buy it, but Randy is a living legend. Give him Anderson Silva next at 205.

If Randy wins, it will be one of the biggest upsets in MMA history, and he should get an immediate title fight with 205 champ. Personally, I think Anderson would destroy him in the first round.

He's not getting younger, and it's time to let him put up or shut up while he is still healthy. Randy has at least earned the shot. The fans will love it, and it will sell a bazillion PPVs.

ANDERSON SILVA!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I agree, let Silva put him into retirement. This was the cheapest and most controversial win of the year, Randy looked terrible and im not interested in seeing him fight again to be honest.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
I was thinking this exact thing after tonights fight. But if Vera can drop Randy, Silva will KO him in the 1st.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
It was a fairly unattractive way to win, but let us not forget that Randy looked very good, and was more than willing to go for broke against a very game Big Nog, and was hardly a blanket against a very tough and always dangerous Brock Lesnar. I know people are angry right now, but we need remember that Couture is hardly known for lay and pray. This isn't some common occurrence in his fights, and it could be that he simply had an off night.

Those brutal kicks likely took him out of his element, and it might well be that his head was never in the game to begin with. If it happens again, then perhaps we can begin to question the man, but this, as far as I know, is an isolated occurrence, which is why the amount of hate the man is receiving is completely shocking and unwarranted in my eyes. We've seen championship level fighters put on mediocre to boring performances in the past, yet come back to wow us. We're so used to seeing Randy go balls out, yet he has one poor performance, and we crucify him for it. It's like Anderson Silva all over again, hence my talk of MMA fans being fickle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have respect for Randy, and I think it would be a great honor to let him fight Anderson Silva.

Let him shock the world or go out with a bang. I don't want to see him linger around until he gets injured and can never fight again. Give him the chance he thinks he deserves.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Did you neglect to watch Shogun vs. Machida?
I saw it several times and i can see how you can make somewhat of an arguement for Machida (still think Shogun one though), i didnt think there was any chance in hell that Randy won this fight when they were about to make the call, rewatched it already and feel the same way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, please no. That's just not worth it for the UFC. Couture doesn't even deserve it after being gift wrapped a decision. Its not like he finished Vera. Silva would mess him up big time. And even if Couture takes him to the ground, Anderson would body triangle him and elbow his head until he couldn't continue. Couture is old, we saw it best today in what I thought of as a loss for him and not deserving of fighting arguably the best 185/205 pounder ever.

The best matchup right now for Couture is Coleman in UFC 111: Old vs. Older.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Remember how hard it was for the American fans to watch Rich Franklin get mauled by Anderson? Multiply that by 10 and you get Anderson vs. Randy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, please no. That's just not worth it for the UFC.
It would be worth it in PPVs, but I also think he would get murdered. But the 10% chance that he would win almost makes it worthwhile. What else can he possibly do and get a legit title shot before his body gives out?

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
That's just a horrible idea, why Randy thinks he's still a contender is beyond me. He needs to get out before he gets hurt so bad he pays for it the rest of his life.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
when he got the decision this was the 1st fight i thought of. He def isnt worthy of a title shot or even close but a win over Anderson would make it undeniable regardless of this decision. A loss would allow him to reassess his position in the division and decide if he wants to really chase a title or chase big fights and big $, like Chuck/Tito matches etc

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I thought Couture did enough to win the decision against Vera. I didn't realise Couture wanted to get title shots though?? I thought he just wanted to fight as long as his body lets him?

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
I thought Couture did enough to win the decision against Vera. I didn't realise Couture wanted to get title shots though?? I thought he just wanted to fight as long as his body lets him?
he has expressed interest in fighting Machida and basically always expresses interest in fighting anybody that is the champ. Make no mistake, Randy does this to compete but he competes to win. Im sure winning a title again would thrill him and perhaps retiring with it.

btw i dont think he could beat Anderson, i just think the fight makes sense, a win over Silva would justify a title shot.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think Randy would give Silva a good fight. Vera is a big lanky dude and has top notch TDD. Randy could pull Silva down and get some GnP, possibly grind out a decision. The Spider would be the fav, but Randy is a bad match-up for him IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
as crazy as it sounds, if randy goes back to his roots and keeps anderson press up on the cage he can pull of a decision. But anything less is a ko for anderson.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This would probably the first death in the UFC. Anderson would fast forward him through retiremant and into the cemetary. I do not want to see this fight. Let the man fight someone he has a chance against like Jardine or something. The top fighters in the LHW heap would destroy Randy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts