Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all i think Randy wins this fight by decision. At first i was thinking hes going to take him down and GNP him but then i started thinking what if this stays on the feet?

Brandon is no joke in the clinch but neither is Randy, so who wins this portion of the fight?

If it goes to the clinch do you think Randy could possibly use his clinch boxing more then GNP because brandon will be expecting the GNP? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think Couture has this one in the bag. Yeah, Vera is a good striker and dangerous in the clinch but I think Couture is smart enough to neutralize that by using his Greco to push Vera against the cage and wear him out. Then, once Vera's confidence and energy have depleted, Couture will take him to the ground. Now, that doesn't mean Couture will finish the fight since his wear and tear strategy is best suited for 5 round fights but it will be enough to get a decision.

What Vera needs to do is stay on the periphery and try not to get trapped near the cage. Get Couture in the clinch when in the middle of the octagon and go for those knees, if possible, or short range punches and elbows..

·
12,900 Posts
I think Vera will go for his leg kick and Couture will go for an over hand then set up for clinch or take down.

Initially I went went Vera by TKO. Randy looks pretty cut up. Wouldn't bet on this fight. I see two things. Early night for Randy or the UD for em...hah...hah.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Randy was an olympic alternate in greco roman, he isn't just a good wrestler in the clinch he is perhaps one of if not the best in MMA, Vera's muaythai is good but in the clinch he is not on Coutures lvel.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Randy was an olympic alternate in greco roman, he isn't just a good wrestler in the clinch he is perhaps one of if not the best in MMA, Vera's muaythai is good but in the clinch he is not on Coutures lvel.
So true and that is why Greco-Roman is the best base for MMA right now. Also, I am sure Couture knows enough on how to apply his wrestling and the cage to nullify Vera's clinch work. This is why it is so dangerous when a lanky striker goes against an accomplished wrestler--wrestling sets the pace and decides where the match goes. Hell, even though I know A.Silva would KTFO Randy, I am sure Randy would give him enough problems to have a chance at UD.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have Cuture taking this one as well. Vera has shown a weakness when he isn't controlling the clinch, and he's lost considerable strength since moving down to LHW.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Veras muay thai is overrated. Its not that great.
^This^
He is pretty versatile but below average at all the things he does. He has better wrestling than a guy who has no wrestling background at all does, and he is good enough at jitsu to sub people with bad/below average sub defense, but he really isn't a guy I would call a great wrestler/grappler. Same goes to his Muay thai; its solid but nothing Randy hasn't dealt with before.
Add that all up and remember his questionable gas tank, compare it with randy's skillset and predicting the outcome of this fight standing or on ground wont be too hard.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
It's gonna be interesting to see who's clinch game wins, on paper it's gotta be Randy. But it could be 3 rounds of pressed against the cage knee's and body punches from the clinch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I totally agree, i didn't mean to say that Brandons was better, but brandon might think it is.

What i was basically trying to say was that Couture has this in the bag because brandon thinks hes going to try and take him to the ground right away.

I think Couture is going to stand in the clinch with him and beat him up a lot before he takes him down and i think brandon is going to expect him to try take downs right away. Thus Loseing him the fight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't really know why people are saying Vera won this fight. Isnt one of the criteria for judging Octagon control? I thought randy did that pretty well even if it was just holding him against the cage.

Also you know who else wasn't doing much against the cage? Brandon Vera.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I want a cookie :sarcastic12:

Boring fight.

It was boring. The result and quality of this fight surprised me the most out of all the other ones on the card. I honestly thought that Vera would TKO Randy in the 1st round. I mean, Vera himself has very good greco and was supposed to be the superior striker. In fact, I figured he'd tool Randy, I honestly did. How wrong was I.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
I actually loved every other fight, maybe thats why I felt this was such a let down. I'll rewatch it tomorrow and see if I feel different, but Vera did more damage, maybe not enough to erase Randy's pressure against the cage though.

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
This fight easily could have gone to Randy. Had Vera gotten the nod, I wouldn't have been too surprised, but I clearly had Randy winning rounds 1 and 3.

And as to the thread question, Randy's dirty boxing was superior to Vera's MT

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I realize randy didn't do alot in the clinch, but i didnt see much if any of Brandons MT in the clinch. He was either scared to throw for fear of being taken down or randy neutralized it.

Either way all the people saying randy was just standing there, Brandon wasnt exactly trying to get away or attack either.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Gotta say though Randy definatly did not dominate the clinch the way myself and many others predicted.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
This fight easily could have gone to Randy. Had Vera gotten the nod, I wouldn't have been too surprised, but I clearly had Randy winning rounds 1 and 3.

More like Randy's leaning superior to Brandons MT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts