Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/08/12/criss-angel-reads-the-mind-of-ufc-fighter-georges-st-pierre-vid/

Criss Angel attempts to get inside the head of UFC star Georges St-Pierre and read the fighter's mind on 'Criss Angel: Mindfreak' (Wed, 10PM ET on A&E).

St-Pierre thumbs through a book and randomly chooses a word. Then, Angel stares intently at the fighter and correctly guesses it.

How does he do it? Angel possibly gives away the secret when he explains that people often choose words they associate with themselves. Psychology or magic? Watch the clip and be the judge.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
I love how he builds up the word guessing and then finally says it. But I have no idea how he does it, if it's not fake. Psychology is one thing, and GSP really could've chosen the word in the book because he's a fighter and he relates to it subconsciously, but to be honest, you could very well punch some one in the face, in the stomach, you could even break an arm. It's really amazing, if, again, it's not fake.

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
And could you read minds? :confused05:
No. he did not read his mind and he did not use psychology. It was a magic trick. They did not show the entire trick on camera either so you would not be able to figure it out by what they showed. There was part of the trick they did not show on camera to make it seem that much more impossible to the tv audience.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
No. he did not read his mind and he did not use psychology. It was a magic trick. They did not show the entire trick on camera either so you would not be able to figure it out by what they showed. There was part of the trick they did not show on camera to make it seem that much more impossible to the tv audience.
Well do you actually care to get more into it? or you just trying to hide something?

·
The Detective
1,338 Posts
Well do you actually care to get more into it? or you just trying to hide something?
If I knew how it was done exactly I would tell you, but I never learned that trick. I've seen it done quiet a few times. It most definitely wasn't psychology, I cant tell you that much. He also did not read his mind. If he really could read his mind, he would have said think of anything you want and a book would not have been involved. That's the great thing about magic though, I've seen so many things that I could have sworn were impossible and could find any explanation on how it was done. But when you know the trick, it's always so simple and brilliant. This trick is no different than any other trick.

If you're interested in mentalism the best book is supposed to be a book called 13 steps. Richard Osterland is another really good guy and there's one more guy who I can't think of who is amazing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's not just magic tricks. A main component of that type of encounter between criss and GSP involved NLP or Neuro-Linguistic Programming which is a very controversial take on studying the relationship between beahviour, emotions and influencing thought.

Darren brown is famous for combining NLP, camera work, staged acting, psychology and diversion techniques to keep the audience guessing (what is real and what isn't). Watch the following where NLP is used (its 7 minutes but AWESOME)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befugtgikMg

Being a therapist I do pick up on the subtle things. When you watch notice he says "You picture having a BM Car or X box" and then postulate how that formulates to the "gift."

·
Registered
898 Posts
This is how Criss Ang... I mean Craigg Angelo does all his effects.

And I highly suggest you watch as much Derren Brown stuff on youtube as you can. The man is amazing.

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
David Blaine is a magician, chris angel is an emo ****

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Wow whats with all the Criss Angel hate on this thread?? The dude is incredible and you have to respect this trick, its a form of mentalism. FYI, Angel was voted as the BEST MAGICIAN OF THE CENTURY by his fellow peers so show some respect!

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
Wow whats with all the Criss Angel hate on this thread?? The dude is incredible and you have to respect this trick, its a form of mentalism. FYI, Angel was voted as the BEST MAGICIAN OF THE CENTURY by his fellow peers so show some respect!
yeha by dumbasses he was voted obviuosly, david blaine is way better, anyways its cool to see gsp be on tv

1 - 20 of 24 Posts