Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"What I'm going to end up doing is probably taking a big, huge fight that should have been on pay-per-view and put it on free TV. I'm actually working on it right now. I said I'd make up for [UFC 112], and trust me, I'm gonna." -Dana White

UFC President Dana White talks about making up to fans who purchased UFC 112 only to watch one of the most bizarre main event match ups in the history of the sport.

For three rounds UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva completely dominated challenger and fellow Brazilian Demian Maia, the whole time berating the soft spoken jiu-jitsu master with personal insults.

But from the middle of the third round until the end of the fight, Silva's in-ring behavior changed dramatically. Instead of engaging his opponent, Silva simply ran. He actively avoided contact with Maia, who mounted a respectable comeback taking the last two rounds of the fight.

After the contest, a disgusted Dana White apologized to fans for Silva's erratic behavior and promised to make up for the lackluster main event. It appears that he is set to do that with an announcement about a big name free event expected in the coming days.
Link

What will this fight be if it's really going to be a big one?

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Well its either a title fight Evans/Rua or GSP/Koscheck or looking at the big names that aren't tied up with fights. GSP and Koscheck fighting at the Ultimate Fighter finale makes a lot of sense because the UFC can recoup lost earnings with the ratings bump that season might have.

Griffin, Machida and Mir to my knowledge are all free and don't have any fights set up I could see any mix of those.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think it will be a big headliner on the UFC 120 (London Spike TV card).

Rampage vs. Machida possibly.
id love that xD and it makes sense do it dana!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think it will be a big headliner on the UFC 120 (London Spike TV card).

Rampage vs. Machida possibly.
Page is duckin Machida. He said he doesn't want to fight him because his last fight was boring and doesn't want another.

I have wanted to see Machida/Rampage since UFC 98 I think Machida would pick him apart.

·
Registered
961 Posts
GSP vs Koscheck 2 sounds the most likely. I don't think that people are chomping at the bit for that one, so I can see them spin it into a "free" title fight. Watch the legendary GSP on Spike, and all that UFC jazzing up.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I can't imagine it would be GSP-Kos. GSP is just too valuable to them, too popular. No way in hell does Dana let GSP on a non PPV card. Could be almost anyone else though. I also don't get my hopes up when Dana says "BIG EXCITING X", whether X be an announcement or a fight it is often a let down.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I can't imagine it would be GSP-Kos. GSP is just too valuable to them, too popular. No way in hell does Dana let GSP on a non PPV card. Could be almost anyone else though. I also don't get my hopes up when Dana says "BIG EXCITING X", whether X be an announcement or a fight it is often a let down.
This. GSP is the #2 PPV draw the UFC has after Lesnar. Now way Dana lets his cash cow fight for free.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yea. Definitely not GSP-Kos or any other title fight. For the reason Toxic pointed out. Also, fighters in title fights that big (like GSP or Lesnar) get a serious cut of PPV money, and I can't imagine them wanting to fight on free Spike TV, even if the UFC wanted it.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Remember the big announcement a while back after a fight when Dana was like; " And the new TUF coaches will be... Tito Ortiz and Chuck Lidell!" Que silence.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Remember the big announcement a while back after a fight when Dana was like; " And the new TUF coaches will be... Tito Ortiz and Chuck Lidell!" Que silence.
You know Tito and Chuck could be possible, my guess is its gonna involve Forrest Griffen fighting another top 205 guy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts