Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Dana: "A big, huge fight that should've been on PPV"

4K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  unclehulka13 
#1 ·
"What I'm going to end up doing is probably taking a big, huge fight that should have been on pay-per-view and put it on free TV. I'm actually working on it right now. I said I'd make up for [UFC 112], and trust me, I'm gonna." -Dana White

UFC President Dana White talks about making up to fans who purchased UFC 112 only to watch one of the most bizarre main event match ups in the history of the sport.

For three rounds UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva completely dominated challenger and fellow Brazilian Demian Maia, the whole time berating the soft spoken jiu-jitsu master with personal insults.

But from the middle of the third round until the end of the fight, Silva's in-ring behavior changed dramatically. Instead of engaging his opponent, Silva simply ran. He actively avoided contact with Maia, who mounted a respectable comeback taking the last two rounds of the fight.

After the contest, a disgusted Dana White apologized to fans for Silva's erratic behavior and promised to make up for the lackluster main event. It appears that he is set to do that with an announcement about a big name free event expected in the coming days.
Link

What will this fight be if it's really going to be a big one?

#3 ·
Well its either a title fight Evans/Rua or GSP/Koscheck or looking at the big names that aren't tied up with fights. GSP and Koscheck fighting at the Ultimate Fighter finale makes a lot of sense because the UFC can recoup lost earnings with the ratings bump that season might have.

Griffin, Machida and Mir to my knowledge are all free and don't have any fights set up I could see any mix of those.

#13 ·
I can't imagine it would be GSP-Kos. GSP is just too valuable to them, too popular. No way in hell does Dana let GSP on a non PPV card. Could be almost anyone else though. I also don't get my hopes up when Dana says "BIG EXCITING X", whether X be an announcement or a fight it is often a let down.

#14 ·
I can't imagine it would be GSP-Kos. GSP is just too valuable to them, too popular. No way in hell does Dana let GSP on a non PPV card. Could be almost anyone else though. I also don't get my hopes up when Dana says "BIG EXCITING X", whether X be an announcement or a fight it is often a let down.
This. GSP is the #2 PPV draw the UFC has after Lesnar. Now way Dana lets his cash cow fight for free.

#23 ·
C'mon you guys. You're all a lot smarter than you're leading on. This is standard DW prose.

This huge, crazy, free superfight will likely be something b-tier like... Kongo vs Rothwell.

If we're super-lucky maybe, just maybe, he'll give us an amazing guaranteed barn-burner like Nelson vs JDS. He seems to be grooming JDS because he lets him fight often, always on co-main and always on big or free cards, and he's dying to let the public watch Nelson get his face smashed.

But I think people are going to start jumping to conclusions like Silva vs GSP for free or something. I promise it won't be anything that could main-event a $50 PPV.

#27 ·
Gonna be Bisping vs Wandy II/Akiyama at UFC 120 TBH. Sure Dan Hardy, Ross Pearson and John Hathaway will feature on that card too. I'm definitely getting tickets for that. Will be living in London by then, so it's perfect timing for the UFC to bring a card and a Fan Expo to London.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.