Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thats pretty shitty IMO, if he is serious about it and not just caught up with emotion after the event. It's pretty much ending alves' career if he stays in the UFC.

We need more alves' and less fitches

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
i hate fitch and alves needs to be a mw because the weight cut is just too much for him, he is a huge ww, he might do good at mw

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
thats pretty shitty IMO, if he is serious about it and not just caught up with emotion after the event. It's pretty much ending alves' career if he stays in the UFC.

We need more alves' and less fitches
if he's going to fight at middle weight, which means he's going to maintain a contract with the UFC, how does that equal ending his career?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I disagree. Alves clearly cannot cut weight like wrestlers do, and he has actually cut more than most of them would in the past. Alves is a great striker and fighter, but he does not seem to be improving the weakness in his game which is what you have to do to become #1.

Moving to MW could be one of the best moves for Alves, he can focus more on training and less on the weight cut, which he will still probably have to do.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
At the presser he said something along the lines of "if you cant make WW you won't be fighting there, you should go to MW and if you think you can't fight at MW then............ *shrugs*"

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
He should go to MW IMO, with gsp and fitch at 170 no way he ever becomes champ.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if he's going to fight at middle weight, which means he's going to maintain a contract with the UFC, how does that equal ending his career?
because putting alves up against huge guys like okami, sonnen, belcher, silva and marquardt is career suicide.

alves will get smoked by 90% of the MW division.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
because putting alves up against huge guys like okami, sonnen, belcher, silva and marquardt is career suicide.

obviously WW is too light for him... you have to make weight.. right? isn't that the point of having a weight class? he hasn't made weight at WW multiple times. If he can't hack it at WW making weight and he can't hack it at MW because the guys are too powerful, or big, then he shouldn't be fighting in the UFC.

·
Registered
113 Posts
the problem with alves beside being a disrespectful douche for not being able to cut 1/2 pound more is that even for a WW he doesn't have the reach to be a dominant striker which unfortunatly is what his only strong point is. at MW - he doesn't stand a chance. I dont' see why he can't cut the weight either. when you look at him he's still maintainins a lot of muscle mass. the problem with him is i think he is waiting until the last minute to cut the weight in order to retain his muscle mass and size advantage. if he cuts properly i think he should have much of a problem b/c it's not like he's that much bigger/taller than the other WW's, in fact he's shorter than all of them.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts

This, when you see him without anything to compare his size to he looks a beast, but 5'9 with a reach of 69.5" is far too small for MW.

I actually thought he was alot bigger, turns out he just looks it.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Dana mentioned he either makes weight or goes to MW at the presser, only 2 options he gave him.

Dunno if that counts as your source but feel free to take a look.

EDIT: For zeroPRIDE

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
obviously WW is too light for him... you have to make weight.. right? isn't that the point of having a weight class? he hasn't made weight at WW multiple times. If he can't hack it at WW making weight and he can't hack it at MW because the guys are too powerful, or big, then he shouldn't be fighting in the UFC.
***Yawn***

the guy hasn't made weight twice in the span of two years.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Dana said he had been texting Alves. Alves said sorry about the weight but that he'd be fine next time.

Dana then said he texted back saying, yeah you will at 185. Alves texted that he didn't want to fight at 185.

Dana said something to the effect of:

It sounds like Dana's gonna push hard to have him fight at 185 and I can't blame him. But maybe he'll change his mind.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
Dana also said if Alves won he probably wouldn't have got the shot for the above reason.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dana said he had been texting Alves. Alves said sorry about the weight but that he'd be fine next time.

Dana then said he texted back saying, yeah you will at 185. Alves texted that he didn't want to fight at 185.

Dana said something to the effect of:

It sounds like Dana's gonna push hard to have him fight at 185 and I can't blame him. But maybe he'll change his mind.
anything dana says after an event is to be taken with a grain of salt

1 - 20 of 48 Posts