Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately everything i post is old news so if this is also i apologize ahead of time.
Many MMA fans noticed over the past weeks that the stomach tattoo of Dan Hardy has been missing from the promotional materials (posters, etc) for UFC 111. TSN has a bit on the reasons as explained by Dana White:

"I'm trying to get into China," he told fans at a question-and-answer session Tuesday. "I don't need anti-Chinese government stuff on my fighters."

Hardy, however, says the tattoo -- the fighter's favourite -- is a Tibetan Buddhist prayer written in Sanskrit.

"It's basically just like a prayer for focus," Hardy said. "It keeps me walking the path that I should be walking without veering off and distracting myself."

Apprised of that explanation, White said: "That's not what I heard."

The tattoo is the well known Buddhist mantra "Om mani padme hum" which has no political significance in relation to China. Well, unless we're talking about the continuing conflict between the Chinese government and the philosophy of Buddhism. There is not anything shocking about a Buddhist mantra just as there is nothing shocking about Jon Jones' "Phillipians 4:13" tattoo. In fact, given that Buddhism is more philosophical system than straight-up religion it should be considered even less controversial. The situation has even led to a Facebook group "Boycott the UFC - Dan Hardy's "Tibetan tattoo' wiped out to please China" springing up.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic and critical of the UFC there are only two possibilities that I see here, neither of which is all that positive:

1) The UFC lacks adequate fact checking. I know this isn't the case with a company this size, especially one that is actively trying to expand it's global efforts. Is it possible that someone could tell Dana White "that's an anti-Chinese government tattoo" and White wouldn't bother to have someone check into it before going to the extreme of photoshopping it out of promotional materials?

Despite all evidence to the contrary many people still point to Cain Velasquez's "brown pride" tattoo as proof that he is a member of a vicious Latino street gang. The meanings of tattoos being mistaken has never caused them to be removed from advertising prior to this, I would assume because White has had the facts checked when it comes to men like Velasquez. Why would this not have been the case with Hardy?

2) The conflict between the Chinese government and Buddhists was enough by itself to motivate White and the UFC to have the ink removed from promotional materials. This would be borderline unforgivable in my eyes as it would be folding in to a history of oppression of a people to attempt to hold an event in China down the road.

If the promotion needs to photoshop harmless Buddhist mantras from it's fighters skin just to "get into China" is it really an area that needs to be expanded into?

I'm sure many MMA fans will say that it's "just a tattoo" and downplay the significance. But the real story is about much more than that. It's either the UFC falling into knee-jerk reactions to hearsay or it's a much more complex story of political maneuvering to appease an oppressive government and establish a new market. Either one is a problem that should be dealt with and not simply airbrushed away like so many Sanskrit characters.
Thats interesting... i heard Dan say that the people who did it told him that the reason its removed cause its too distracting but it seems that isnt the reason. Anyway i dont think Dana should have the right to photoshop people's tattoo's off them but then again when your with the UFC you sell your soul.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Perception is reality.

It's a TIBETAN Buddhist prayer.

Like it or not Tibet is an extremely sensitive issue with the Chinese.

China routinely admonishes countries and corporations for just talking to the Dalai Lama.

It is irrelevant what the tatoo actually means. The fact it is Tibetan would be enough for China to their panties in a bunch.

Yes China is that petty when it comes to Tibet.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Perception is reality.

It's a TIBETAN Buddhist prayer.

Like it or not Tibet is an extremely sensitive issue with the Chinese.

China routinely admonishes countries and corporations for just talking to the Dalai Lama.

It is irrelevant what the tatoo actually means. The fact it is Tibetan would be enough for China to their panties in a bunch.

Yes China is that petty when it comes to Tibet.
everything he said is on the money AND it's Dana's poster he can 'shop what he wants. There are some guys I'd make wear a shirt. But that's just me. I've yet to ever see a tattoo artist improve god's work. it's just graffiti.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I dont like this at all. Im too lazy to have a political view on the issues with China and Tibet, but if this tattoo is just a buddhist mantra or whatever then the UFC should not be afraid of showing it. Seriously, if the UFC does expand into china will Dan Hardy be banned from those events? As long as it isnt really offensive its free expression, and though it may not seem like a big deal, I dont think the UFC should sacrifice its ethics in order to conquer the global market.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Google is shutting down it's offices in China cuz of censorship rights. This country operates in an archaic model.

I think the government officials need to go through the whole Clock Work Orange routine except in reverse.

·
Banned
0 Posts
screw china, seriously if all these corporations and what not would stop folding to china's strict idiotic philosophies they would in turn have to fold to everyone else for no one would be doing business with them

Plus we need to stop issuing billions in Treasury bonds to them daily to cover our nations expenses, due to Bush's War's and also ....the dollar keeps droppig people buy Gold cuz China is and once they have all that and were in complete debt we already are) they will own us soon....

Just some shit to sleep on....all real talk....why you think gold is dam expensive???

·
"I
6,923 Posts
everything he said is on the money AND it's Dana's poster he can 'shop what he wants. There are some guys I'd make wear a shirt. But that's just me. I've yet to ever see a tattoo artist improve god's work. it's just graffiti.
Alessio Sakara and my left Calf would like a word with you, sir.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The NBA has done this to Allen Iverson before.

It's no big deal. People will make it out to be but it isnt.

The UFC and Dana are business men, its smart not to piss off the largest country in the world. Good business sense.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
1st thought.....BOX....like closed minded, then I figure.....preacher!!!
hahahah....... preacher?...no......closed minded?.....I don't think so. I make up my own mind I don't follow like tattooed sheep. evryone has their opinion. my opinion is that if you think paying someone to mark you is an improvement then you didn't think much of yourself to begin with. BUT in the words of George Thorogood " that don't befront me" However, thinking that the rest of us all want to see your marks, well that's ignorant.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahahah....... preacher?...no......closed minded?.....I don't think so. I make up my own mind I don't follow like tattooed sheep. evryone has their opinion. my opinion is that if you think paying someone to mark you is an improvement then you didn't think much of yourself to begin with. BUT in the words of George Thorogood " that don't befront me" However, thinking that the rest of us all want to see your marks, well that's ignorant.
This is one of the silliest posts iv ever seen.

like tattooed sheep. evryone has their opinion. my opinion is that if you think paying someone to mark you is an improvement then you didn't think much of yourself to begin with
Lmao
What a douche.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You have a right to your opinion and i have a right to mine, and my opinion is that you are an ignorant twat.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
It's a valid well put *opinion* I think. I certainly don't agree, but still understand the point of view. I have no tattoos personally, but if I did, I can also see how I might be pretty offended by the above.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
So I guess this means that:

1. The UFC is never going to let Hardy fight in China.

2. Whenever Hardy is fighting at an event aired in China, they're going to blur his tattoo just like MTV does with people's middle fingers and mouths when they're swearing.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
So I guess this means that:

1. The UFC is never going to let Hardy fight in China.

2. Whenever Hardy is fighting at an event aired in China, they're going to blur his tattoo just like MTV does with people's middle fingers and mouths when they're swearing.
Pretty much.

Although, thinking about it, if its a live show the blur thing can be tricky!

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Not as good as your silly douche post :thumb02:
You have a right to your opinion and i have a right to mine, and my opinion is that you are an ignorant twat.
Instead of attacking me with your razor wit, why not expose my ignorance and enlighten me. Explain how letting another man permanently mark you with his "art" has improved you.I honestly don't understand the concept.

I know my opinion isn't very popular but calling me ignorant and closed minded because you disagree is kinda funny boys.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.