Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"[Co-promotion with them] will never happen in a million years. [Strikeforce is] a minor league. Listen I have come to the realization and everyone else needs to too that Fedor (Emelianenko) doesn’t want to fight the best guys in the world. Believe me when I tell you guys I have done everything in my power, I have flown to crazy parts of the world, done all this stuff, been on the phone for hours, not hung out with my kids on weekends because I’m on the phone with these lunatics and just can’t make the deal. They don’t want to do it so we gotta get over it."
Well said Dana

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Meh, I agree. When discussions really heated up about getting Fedor to the UFC, names like Lesnar, Cain, JDS and Carwin weren't really even in the mix. I think Fedor is amazing, and there's no doubt about that, but I truly think he'd get smashed by these behemoths and therefore a lot of the appeal of seeing him in the UFC has died to me. I don't want to see another Couture/Lesnar fight.

Granted, I do think not being in the UFC hurts Fedor's legacy, and having him would be fun. But overall the appeal has died off a lot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Meh, I agree. When discussions really heated up about getting Fedor to the UFC, names like Lesnar, Cain, JDS and Carwin weren't really even in the mix. I think Fedor is amazing, and there's no doubt about that, but I truly think he'd get smashed by these behemoths and therefore a lot of the appeal of seeing him in the UFC has died to me. I don't want to see another Couture/Lesnar fight.

Granted, I do think not being in the UFC hurts Fedor's legacy, and having him would be fun. But overall the appeal has died off a lot.
Totaly agreed Fedor is no where near as appealing as he used to be in 2008

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
If Fedor want's to be considered the best p4p in the world then he's gotta get his Rusky ass over to the UFC and fight the best, otherwise he'll retire as POSSIBLY the best p4p fighter in the world.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
but I truly think he'd get smashed by these behemoths and therefore a lot of the appeal of seeing him in the UFC has died to me.
It doesn't matter. For example, lots of people, including myself and Joe Rogan, never really expected that Machida would get his ass whooped by Shogun on UFC 104. As it turned out, Shogun came out and proved us wrong. I personally 3 times in a row was wrong about Frank Mir, I expected him to beat Lesnar on UFC 100 and he lost, then I thought that Kongo would beat him and Mir won impressively, and I was wrong about the Carwin fight as well. MMA's unpredictability makes it much more interesting for me than any other kind of sport because we often have surprises. Which is why to say that the most decorated fighter with no legit loses stands no chance with current UFC fighters is just not right. Anything can happen. Fedor can join and literally walk through everybody with ease or he can lose to everyone including Pat Barry via high kick. You never know. Who could've truly expected a few years ago that Anderson Silva would become the most successful UFC MW champion in history and would beat Forrest Griffin like a 7-year-old kid? Or who's gonna prevail on UFC 116, Lesnar or Carwin? Arguments can be made for both, but nobody can be really sure of an outcome. And with Fedor it's the same thing.

As for Dana White's speech, well, I still think that Fedor and him should meet in person and discuss everything. I assume it's possible. Speaking over the phone with M-1 people has already been proven futile. And Fedor said that he's never even spoken with Dana White which is not good.

Reactions: Ape City

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
After that he has to come to the UFC or his recent legacy will be tarnished by some
It will be extremely upsetting if Fedor keeps fighting somewhere in DREAM or elsewhere and gets knocked out or submitted by some guy with 5-5 record. It wouldn't be so terrible to lose to Velasquez or Cigano in UFC. But losing to a guy who is nowhere near TOP 5 is shameful. And DREAM and Strikeforce have those "dark horses".

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Fedor's last real fight outside the UFC is against Overeem. He should've never fought Rogers to begin with, that was ridiculous. Furthermore he got called out by overeem after his fight who stated fedor refused his fight. All this points tot he same thing dana is saying, he's worried about the money, not fighting the best in the world

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Fedor and White have opposite agenda's. Dana wants to promote the UFC and Fedor wants to promote M-1. \Fedor is at the end of his career and it trying to leverage some monstor paydays to retire on. If Dana REALLY wanted to, he could allow one of his HW's to fight outside the UFC to fight Fedor and then we would see. But he won't, becuse it's all about the UFC for Dana.
Ferdor disappointed me when he shined on the UFC, to me it proved he isn't interested in fighting the best. but it's his business.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Dana is still doing the Fedor dance. It's getting real old. Notice they are doing a UFC 113 replay on Spike to counter Strikeforce's Fedor & Werdum. White knows most will be watching Fedor. I think Dana is about as obsessed with Fedor as Mir was with Lesnar. True, Fedor's biggest competition would be in the UFC. It seems the more Dana taunts Fedor, the less likely Emelianenko will sign with the UFC. I think when Fedor signed with Strikeforce, it gave Dana a set of blueballs he's been unable to shake...

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Fedor and White have opposite agenda's. Dana wants to promote the UFC and Fedor wants to promote M-1. \Fedor is at the end of his career and it trying to leverage some monstor paydays to retire on. If Dana REALLY wanted to, he could allow one of his HW's to fight outside the UFC to fight Fedor and then we would see. But he won't, becuse it's all about the UFC for Dana.
Ferdor disappointed me when he shined on the UFC, to me it proved he isn't interested in fighting the best. but it's his business.
Dana White's agenda is pretty clear. He made it clear in his Joh Fitch statement.... he wants a fighter who will fight for a league and not himself.

It's no wonder he's always dogging great fighters that don't compete under a zuffa banner.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I really don't think Fedor is to blame as so much as it is his managers. Ultimately it is Fedor's choice, however, the managers and team have a very very heavy influence on his decision. Also, the whole reason you have a manager is so that you don't have to deal with this stuff and make these decisions. His managers want money and unless the UFC is willing to pay an absurd amount to have him, he'll probably be making more in Strikeforce/DREAM simply because they will sell him using that "#1 p4p" title.

As for everyone who's saying "if he wants to be #1 he needs to fight the best" I'm sure he realizes that. Anyone who competes in anything knows this. At this point in his career though, past his reign as the king, I don't think he's hungry. Similar situation as Mirko except that he's still got skills and composure. Maybe he is hungry, I don't know. I just wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't. He's just enjoying life, why not fight lesser competition at this point and make tons of money all while the masses will believe you're the best that ever lived? Train less, more time with your wife and kids, more time to just enjoy yourself with less injury as well. Sounds like a plan to me!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
As for Dana White's speech, well, I still think that Fedor and him should meet in person and discuss everything. I assume it's possible. Speaking over the phone with M-1 people has already been proven futile. And Fedor said that he's never even spoken with Dana White which is not good.
Where have you been for the past year? Dana has tried it all. Fedor sits back while those M-1 goons demand co-promotion on the biggest stage of all. They think Fedor is bigger than any other fighter and any other organisation. Fedor doesn't speak because he's not the one who deals with negotiations, he has a MMA promotion above him who want their name alongisde the UFC's before Fedor will fight there.

Their demands are ridiculous and more about building their brand than Fedor fighting. That's fine, but don't expect to just get a fast track to that sort of exposure just because you have one fighter. It makes no sense, the UFC work night and day for 9 years to build their company and are expected to share the result with some small time promotion just because they manage 1 fighter.

If Fedor thinks that's more important than him fighting the other top heavyweights then so be it, but no one can blame Dana White.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I can't believe the shit Dana gets. Ok he maybe lets his love of the UFC get in the way of whats best for MMA as a whole (wouldn't you if you were the president of it?!) But he is trying everything to get Fedor to the UFC and all he gets is insults for not letting it go!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Playing devils advocate here, but during Fedor Vs Rogers, I didn't see much co-promotion materials on the screen or stadium. Sure I think I heard "brought to you by SF and M1 Global" or something like that, but I don't think M1 got much from that event. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means, gentlemen.

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Dana wants everyone to forget about Fedor but can't keep his mouth shut about him lol.

"Fedor sucks, even though I stayed up days and nights talking to him and his management, I've flown all around the world to crazy places to get ahold of him, I've offered him more money than I've ever offered anyone, I've made him the most craziest, amazing deals that anyone can possibly make, I've never tried so hard in my entire life to sign one person, he has become my obsession (my own words)". HOWEVER, Fedor isn't as good as everyone says and is overrated."

Wait, why did/has/is Dana going through allllll this trouble, all this money, all this work, all this effort, EVERYTHING to sign Fedor, paying him double the amount of the most paid UFC fighters, if Fedor sucks or.. is completely, highly overrated?

The most logical, reasonable answer is that Dana is really upset he can't sign the best fighter in the world, and to justify it, is saying "he doesn't want to fight the best".

Fedor will fight anyone, he's always fought everyone, he's fought men much, much larger than he is, he's been there, done that, all styles and skill levels, all strengths and weaknesses, he's done it all.

He simply has millions and millions of dollars, is set with a nice contract at SF, has been in the business for a decade, and is just doing his own thing.

Dana is right, though, he should just forget signing Fedor. Fedor is doing his own thing, he's done all he needs to do in this sport, let him be and let him do what he wants, you don't need Fedor, and Fedor doesn't need you, stop talking about him.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts