Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had huge plans going to UFC 120 in october but as the card took shape it just isnt worth it ( i live in norway btw ).
First of, "i get it". Theres a problem getting the top fighters who have ppv-cut deals to fight in europe , solution = give them more money as a gesture in that fight. Its bad enough we have to watch events 3-4 in the morning every month but when there finally is a seldom europe event you throw crap like that at us. Let me clarify "crap"

Michael Bisping vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama

This is main event people. Just look at it, real good, and think "main event". What does it taste like ? Its tastes like crap doesnt it ? Bisping has been exposed and will never be a contender in the UFC again. He had his draw with Rashad and his impressive win over Kang ( turned out to be not that impressive after all )But nevertheless he likes to circle into guys punches and is only mediocre at any disipline.
Sexyama... lets be honest, we got blinded by his sexy and we were too bias towards his silky skin. the truth is his "w" over belcher was controversial at best and he lost to Leben. Leben is NOT a top tier MW contrary to popular belief.

Both are good enough to be "hanging in there" in the ufc but nothing more, and certanly not good enough to be ME for a juggernaut of an org like the UFC.

Dan Hardy vs. Carlos Condit

Actually a good fight that makes sense. Both are at the crossroads to break into the top WWs. And they both have exiting styles. On a card thats this bad this should actually be ME. imo

Cheick Kongo vs. Travis Browne

This fight has zero impact on the HW division. Both need to stack a considerable amount of "w"s to get into the relevance picture. Kongo is stand up period, and in this division that is so heavily dominated by wrestlers i dont see him going any further then hes done on his previous runs. I guess the only exiting thing about this fight is that Browne is undefeated and that always brings some stake to the fight.

James Wilks vs. Claude Patrick

Wilks is another one of those endless TUF guys we just cant wait to get their 2 losses so they will get cut and stop taking up MC spots. His skillset belongs in some smaller promotion.I guarantee you guys he isnt fighting for the ufc by some time next year. Patrick is a cool prospect but he is just that, a prospect. How is a prospect with no name gonna put asses in the seats, they need to have these prospects fight on cards that ppl are actually gonna watch.

Cyrille Diabaté vs. Alexander Gustafsson

A "meh" fight. Cyrille obviously coming off his big win over Banha but hes not at all a name to sell tickets. Half the guys at the event ( at least ) doesnt know who he is. Cyrille is fighting Gustafsson, dunno who he is ? me neither, only saw his last fight.... not impressive.

James McSweeney vs. Tom Blackledge

Seriously do they have to have brits fighting in ALL the fights whatever the cost ? Im no brit but you guys cant seriously be happy with this. Wouldnt you rather have machida fighting rampage than the local guys from swindon and blackpool ?. Oh and i didnt forget to comment on this fight.

Rob Broughton vs. Vinicius Quieroz

Broughton is a guy that got signed solely cuz hes a brit. if he looses in october hes getting cut, period. He might draw some audience as he was the cage rage champ but i doubt it. hes fighting Vinicius , apparentlty hes this badass from brazil knocking ppl out, look at the stats of his opponents : http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Vinicius-Kappke-de-Quieroz-48631

Spencer Fisher vs. Kurt Warburton

Fisher is most likely gonna get cut if he looses to Warburton. I dunno anything about Mr.Warburton exept that hes a brit and that hes on the uk card. They could be trying to build Warburton with a win over a name-guy, but i dont know, and tbh i dont care. but most likely this is gonna end up on the main card, and it would be fight night undercard material in the states.

John Hathaway vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Great fight, im hoping this turnes out to be the war im hoping it will be.

But sadly this fight and the hardy/condit fight doesnt save this from beeing the worst ufc card ive seen ever.

Also i am fully aware that these fights could turn out to be fun fights, but that doesnt hide the fact that in terms of talent and stars this event lacks both to an unpresedented degree.

/worstrantivehadduetomenotgettingtheliveeventiwantedtogoto

EDIT : Stun Gun isnt fighting, got replaced my Mike Pyle....*sigh*

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again, Dana and the UFC wont put their biggest drawing stars on a card which is free to air in the US (which all UK events are i believe).

As a Brit its annoying but you have to understand the decision.
That said i thought we might get a better main event, something like Mir/Gonzaga which is a great fight but one that wouldn't cost the UFC as much as putting someone like Brock or Rampage or another huge drawer on the card.

In time i think cards will improve over here, but MMA is still a relatively unknown sport in the UK and you have to take that into account.

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but MMA is still a relatively unknown sport in the UK and you have to take that into account.
i do, thats why i think its bs. Dana aiways talks about giving back to the fans, well how about giving something back to the fans that sits up in the middle of the night every event.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Yeah I agree, thats a terrible card.

Bisping and Akiyama is a BAD main event, thats co-main event material at best.

Condit vs Hardy is a very solid fight.

There is a good chance Hathaway is going to be to disciplined for the Korean Zombie and will control him for a boring fight.

Kongo fight should be ok also.

A very average card, lacking real main and co main event material.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i do, thats why i think its bs. Dana aiways talks about giving back to the fans, well how about giving something back to the fans that sits up in the middle of the night every event.
Yeah I totally agree, I'm really dissapointed with this card. I was planning on going to this as well but not sure if I'll bother now.

Not that I dislike any of the fighters on the card but this is an upgraded fight night card at best.

UFC tickets are not cheap, you have to spend a lot to get a worthy seat and for the money they charge I'd be expecting a main event worth the price.

·
Shogun
2,105 Posts
Well all in all i think its a decent event, some really good fights on it but i think the main event is what makes it look crap. A good ME on this one and it could be a cool card. But Bisking vs Sexy....Sexy coming of a loss and Bisping being well...Bisping. Condit vs Hardy is great imo and Stungun vs Hathaway is nice. Also i like the Gustafsson fight because hes from Sweden like me. Some other meh fights but to me a good main event would make this a good card, maybe not great but worth going to if i had the cash.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
This card got even worse now..

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...ay-to-face-veteran-ex-wec-champion-mike-pyle/

N1 the thing is, that some of the British fans are asking downright for those cards and most of them will always defend them and go to the event anyway. So as long as they don't fight against them, Dana will give them what they are asking for.
I think all proper UK UFC fans can see that the card is missing a big name - so we're not blinkered at all, all in all i'd say most of us are just greatful that the UFC is coming over here and putting on this show in the first place.

Would i like to see two top names on the Main event? YES

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This card got even worse now..

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/...ay-to-face-veteran-ex-wec-champion-mike-pyle/

N1 the thing is, that some of the British fans are asking downright for those cards and most of them will always defend them and go to the event anyway. So as long as they don't fight against them, Dana will give them what they are asking for.
first of lol at the news that stungun isnt fighting

second, i cant really know if the UK fans are asking for these cards as i have no idea and tbh i find that hard to belive, them wanting UK fighters on the card is fine but i dont see them ONLY wanting UK fighters regardless of how good they are and regardless if they take the spot of a could be stellar ME . But the fact that UK fans are so big fans that they will go to the events regardless shouldnt keep dana from giving them some really awesome fights, au contraire.

maybe ill just go to germany for 122 and hang out with you instead :thumb02:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again, Dana and the UFC wont put their biggest drawing stars on a card which is free to air in the US (which all UK events are i believe).

As a Brit its annoying but you have to understand the decision.
That said i thought we might get a better main event, something like Mir/Gonzaga which is a great fight but one that wouldn't cost the UFC as much as putting someone like Brock or Rampage or another huge drawer on the card.

In time i think cards will improve over here, but MMA is still a relatively unknown sport in the UK and you have to take that into account.
Wasn't there at least one event held in the UK that was a PPV in the states?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wasn't there at least one event held in the UK that was a PPV in the states?
UFC 105 was on Spike I believe.

Even the Rampage vs. Henderson Pride unification bout was on Spike (according to wiki)

UFC 70 was PPV over here on Setanta but on Spike in the states.

I could be wrong though.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
first of lol at the news that stungun isnt fighting

second, i cant really know if the UK fans are asking for these cards as i have no idea and tbh i find that hard to belive, them wanting UK fighters on the card is fine but i dont see them ONLY wanting UK fighters regardless of how good they are and regardless if they take the spot of a could be stellar ME . But the fact that UK fans are so big fans that they will go to the events regardless shouldnt keep dana from giving them some really awesome fights, au contraire.

maybe ill just go to germany for 122 and hang out with you instead :thumb02:
Save the money and come to the German event with me N1 :thumbsup:

If we are really lucky, this event could include Machida :praise01: or Silva vs. Belfort. But I can't believe that the UFC would put on a title fight like that overseas.. even though Silva isn't a big draw at all.

But the good thing is Machida isn't either :thumb02: so the chances are really there, that we could see The Dragon in Germany! How does that sound buddy^^

And for the other part you are right. But I have only seen like 2 or 3 British Fans on here, who really hated that card. All others are tried to defend it every time. Thats the thing wich annoys me so much.. because I would also like to visit one of there shows one day.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
N1™;1227634 said:
Staying up until 3 or 4 on a Saturday night/Sunday morning isn't that bad when you guys get them totally free...and we get them for 45 or 55 dollars...

Just like the NFL doesn't send the best game of the week over to England the 1 time each year...the UFC isn't going too.

I find it funny when some UK guys complain about this. UK gets more events than any other place outside teh U.S. not named Canada. Many places do not get any events. With teh British TUF, putting a big fight in Hendo/Rampage for teh title on the line there, and so on...the UFC does a lot for UK fans.

Did Pride make an effort to come to you guys? Does any other organization?

Maybe stop going to the events or stop being in love with fellow countrymen like Bisping and Dana won't think you love cards filled with UK fighters. And will stop handing Bisping main events that he doesn't come close to deserving.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Save the money and come to the German event with me N1 :thumbsup:

If we are really lucky, this event could include Machida :praise01: or Silva vs. Belfort. But I can't believe that the UFC would put on a title fight like that overseas.. even though Silva isn't a big draw at all.

But the good thing is Machida isn't either :thumb02: so the chances are really there, that we could see The Dragon in Germany! How does that sound buddy^^

And for the other part you are right. But I have only seen like 2 or 3 British Fans on here, who really hated that card. All others are tried to defend it every time. Thats the thing wich annoys me so much.. because I would also like to visit one of there shows one day.
Considering the politics going on with the UFC and Germany atm I bet you will get a good card, drum up the hype for the UFC even more over there.

I don't particularly like the card we have for 120, but nor do I hate it, I won't defend it or slag it off, if the price is right I'll get tickets if not I'll enjoy the card on TV where I won't have to stay up till 3am! :)

Can never jusdge a card just by the names on it, some of the best cards of the ytear so far have been those who people have been less than impressed before it started.

Staying up until 3 or 4 on a Saturday night/Sunday morning isn't that bad when you guys get them totally free...and we get them for 45 or 55 dollars...

Just like the NFL doesn't send the best game of the week over to England the 1 time each year...the UFC isn't going too.

I find it funny when some UK guys complain about this. UK gets more events than any other place outside teh U.S. not named Canada. Many places do not get any events. With teh British TUF, putting a big fight in Hendo/Rampage for teh title on the line there, and so on...the UFC does a lot for UK fans.

Did Pride make an effort to come to you guys? Does any other organization?

Maybe stop going to the events or stop being in love with fellow countrymen like Bisping and Dana won't think you love cards filled with UK fighters. And will stop handing Bisping main events that he doesn't come close to deserving.
We don't pay anything near what you guys do but its not totally free here, yes we get a great deal and it covers a host of sports including MMA but we do pay something.

Thats down to PPV programming not working in this country, the numbers that broadcasters like SKY etc get are poor and if the UFC was PPV over here (our PPV for boxing is roughly £14.95) then they wouldn't get the exposire they want. Pacquiao & Mayweathers recent fights weren't PPV here either.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Can never jusdge a card just by the names on it, some of the best cards of the ytear so far have been those who people have been less than impressed before it started.
This is very true Gyser! But If I attend an event like that, I don't just wanna see great fights. I would Love to see some names on it too.

If they only come ones in a year to Europe.. maybe twice with Germany, then I am asking at least for 2 big name fighters.

And we all know that Lyoto, Anderson, Vitor aren't big draws in the US. So why can we not enjoy those guys?? And the Americans can have Brock, BJ Penn, GSP and so on.. Plus they also get Lyoto and Silva at least ones or twice a year.

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Bobby mate, i often defend the 120 card even though i see it is flawed.. as i said before we all would like to see the biggest names here - i'm fairly sure that everybody feels the same, and i hope we will get a chance to have the biggest names here in the future, but the popularity of the UFC here is behind the US and i guess the UFC have to protect their assests and grow accordingly.

Right now MMA and the UFC are growing slow and steady in the UK, they don't need to push the bigger names here as they know we will sell out the o2 anyway and continue growing accordingly. To add to this, the more passive UFC fan will want to see Bisping more than anybody else anyway, it's a double edged sword - the atmosphere for Bisping fights are incredible.. but ofcourse he is still not a top name..

Also for the guy who said we get the UFC events free here, we still have to pay a subscription fee to ESPN of £10 a month (about $15-$20 depending on exchange rate) and then wait til 3AM. It's a decent deal, but not perfect.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is very true Gyser! But If I attend an event like that, I don't just wanna see great fights. I would Love to see some names on it too.

If they only come ones in a year to Europe.. maybe twice with Germany, then I am asking at least for 2 big name fighters.

And we all know that Lyoto, Anderson, Vitor aren't big draws in the US. So why can we not enjoy those guys?? And the Americans can have Brock, BJ Penn, GSP and so on.. Plus they also get Lyoto and Silva at least ones or twice a year.
Of course, when I heard rumours that Mir/Gonzaga might headline 120 I was rather hoping that would come to fruition. Bisping and teh Sexy one isn't ideal as a ME but if they put on a good show I'll be pleased.

Heres hoping you get Lyoto in Germany, I can see your somewhat of a fan lol

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I understand you guys! Hope we will see a change in the future.

Just gross your fingers that Germany gets Lyoto! You are all cordially invited to join me there and watch magic :)

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Thats a really weak card.

I hate the overseas marketing / fight planning that the UFC has. They have a retarded view of "whichever country we're holding the event in, we'll pack as many fighters from that country on the card as we can. That'll make the fans happy." Well, IT DOESNT!! Its f*cking lame! I dont care what nationality a fighter is, i care about his skills as a fighter! The upcoming UFC Fight Night is a better event than this.

The UFC needs to start thinking bigger things for overseas UFC events. The first couple of shows in the UK we got to see alot of british talent, but lets face it, the talent pool in the UK is pretty slim. The whole "British event, british fighter - Canadian event, canadian fighters" thing is bullshit.

Dana - Joe Silva - whoever else is involved. . . sort it out! Dont make me come to Las Vegas and rest my balls on your chin. DONT MAKE ME DO IT!!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

Have you seen some of the PPVs here and what their main events were? Chuck-Franklin? Tito-Forrest? Couture/Coleman?

So lets not act like you get all the bad cards. These are $50 fights with these main events, not free. So with the lack of main event worthy fights with injury and just the volume that the UFC puts on...the UFC can't spare a guy liek teh Spider or Machida on a free card.

Like people have said. MMA is fairly new. At least they come there. Does the MLB go to Europe? Does the NBA? Does boxing put on huge main events on England that aren't just English fighters? Did or does any other MMA promotion come to teh UK to put on events each year?

I think people are being ridiculous. The UFC is a U.S. based company. They are TRYING to get everywhere. The UK has been lucky enough to have many events already and teh UFC has hardly even expanded yet.

Be thankful you get events each year and get them at a low price. I live near Buffalo NY. The closest a fight has came to me is Columbus Ohio, which is like 5-6 hours away. So in actuallity the UFC has came closer to you then they ever have to me and I live in teh States.

People are too greedy. Especially when you sit down and understand this is a U.S. based promotion. Pride the Japanese based promotion never gave you guys MMA or went to Europe. So why when the UFC actually does do people demand more?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts