Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rovell has stated in the past and maintained that Amanda Nunes, who won at UFC 239 last night killed the most valuable and marketable women in the sport via defeating Ronda Rousey and Cyborg:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1079240015295725569

White said the following in part about Rovell following Nunes’ huge victory:

This guy likes f**king attention, okay? This guy likes attention, and I’m going to give him more attention. You know, he says the worst thing that could have ever happened tonight was Amanda Nunes won. Not a star for the UFC. So, this is the kind of stupid sh*t that we hear.

Rovell fires back claiming Nunes isnt as marketable as Holly Holm:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1147880055126855681

This also isn’t the first time the head of the UFC has gone after the sports pundit and numbers expert. He also shredded him back in December over his thoughts on Nunes:

https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/1079264192417484800
https://dailycaller.com/2019/07/07/dana-white-darren-rovell-ufc-239/

This "MMA journalist" named Darren Rovell said the "worst thing" that could happen at UFC 239 was for Amanda Nunes to beat Holly Holm cuz Nunes "isnt" marketable.

:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is she marketable? How are her numbers?
You've probably heard of the term BRICS thrown around in reference to business as being the five main emerging economies in the world. As you probably know, brazil is the letter "B" in BRICS and is on the up and up. That economic strength translates to a decently strong consumer market imo, which means Nunes could be a draw contrary to what that guy is saying.

Its been said MMA is much bigger sport in countries like brazil than it is in the united states. That's point #2 Amanda Nunes could be a bigger star than Holly Holm or Cyborg, contrary to what that journalist with his supposed major in business says. To know for certain someone would need to see demographic breakdowns of pay-per-view buys and afaik that info is reserved on a privileged need-to-know basis. Someone would need access to that data to know which people from which country actually buy pay per views.

Aside from that, I think Dana is rightfully offended at the notion that the amount of pay per views someone pulls should reserve them special treatment. Dana never protected Conor from Jose Aldo or gave Conor easy fights despite Conor being a huge draw. Dana never protected anyone or gave anyone special treatment.

For someone to say the UFC is making a mistake by not giving people like Ronda easy fights and protecting them shows they don't understand the worth of business can be higher with a focus on value and credibility than on revenue micro-managing. His perspective reflects what Bjorn Rebney tried to do when he ran bellator and it didn't go well. Bjorn tried his "maximizing your revenue stream in 101 steps" by trying to build their brand around people like Rampage who were draws with small reality tv things, etc. Bjorn didn't know the business and I think the same can be said for that guy saying the worst thing that could happen is Nunes beating Holly Holm.

·
The Title Guy
17,927 Posts
We all know for a fact that Dana White has no qualms chewing out journalists who say negative things about him and the UFC then blacklisting them from all future UFC events. Though the blacklisting part isn't as much of a given nowadays cause Dana isn't in complete control of the UFC anymore. Nowadays he can only just criticize pretty much.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dana White has no qualms chewing out journalists who say negative things about him and the UFC then blacklisting them from all future UFC events.

That wasn't only Dana. I'm certain a lot of people complain about Ariel "Highway to" Hell-wani.

Ariel is one of the few journalists in MMA who bothers to do his homework on the people he's interviewing and research things. I respect him for his professionalism and work ethic. Ariel might have missed in calling in mossad interrogating people. If you watch his interviews he does go a bit overboard sometimes trying to get inside scoops.

He'll ask the same question phrased differently to catch people contradicting themselves. If he quit that his interviews might be a more pleasant experience. Risk versus reward that interview/interrogation tactic might not be worth it.

·
The Title Guy
17,927 Posts
Ariel Helwani was taught to be an actual reporter and do research and ask proper questions as compared to many snowflake reporters who are taught to insert their opinion and twist the story rather then stating the facts. That is what journalism is supposed to be and the only mass network to actually do that now is Fox. Granted ESPN is good in reporting sports but ABC is terrible at reporting news objectively.

·
Administrator
15,544 Posts
You've probably heard of the term BRICS thrown around in reference to business as being the five main emerging economies in the world. As you probably know, brazil is the letter "B" in BRICS and is on the up and up. That economic strength translates to a decently strong consumer market imo, which means Nunes could be a draw contrary to what that guy is saying.

Its been said MMA is much bigger sport in countries like brazil than it is in the united states. That's point #2 Amanda Nunes could be a bigger star than Holly Holm or Cyborg, contrary to what that journalist with his supposed major in business says. To know for certain someone would need to see demographic breakdowns of pay-per-view buys and afaik that info is reserved on a privileged need-to-know basis. Someone would need access to that data to know which people from which country actually buy pay per views.

Aside from that, I think Dana is rightfully offended at the notion that the amount of pay per views someone pulls should reserve them special treatment. Dana never protected Conor from Jose Aldo or gave Conor easy fights despite Conor being a huge draw. Dana never protected anyone or gave anyone special treatment.

For someone to say the UFC is making a mistake by not giving people like Ronda easy fights and protecting them shows they don't understand the worth of business can be higher with a focus on value and credibility than on revenue micro-managing. His perspective reflects what Bjorn Rebney tried to do when he ran bellator and it didn't go well. Bjorn tried his "maximizing your revenue stream in 101 steps" by trying to build their brand around people like Rampage who were draws with small reality tv things, etc. Bjorn didn't know the business and I think the same can be said for that guy saying the worst thing that could happen is Nunes beating Holly Holm.
The issue is, what brazilian fighter has ever been a draw? Jose Aldo's numbers were extremely low for a champion, especially a dominant champion, and the sport's most well known brazilian in Anderson Silva also wasn't a giant draw either. He was good, he did enough to promote and get some good treatment, but he was no GSP or Conor or Brock or Ronda. Even Chris Weidman draws better than Anderson.

I am not saying she doesn't have potential or that she isn't marketable. I am genuinely asking - what are her numbers? She is on a multi-fight win streak and has won 2 belts. She's at the peak of her success. What is she drawing right now? Maybe that's why the guy said what he said. Maybe stats are showing she isn't exactly lighting fans on fire. I don't know. Maybe he's right, maybe wrong, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue is, what brazilian fighter has ever been a draw? Jose Aldo's numbers were extremely low for a champion, especially a dominant champion, and the sport's most well known brazilian in Anderson Silva also wasn't a giant draw either. He was good, he did enough to promote and get some good treatment, but he was no GSP or Conor or Brock or Ronda. Even Chris Weidman draws better than Anderson.

I am not saying she doesn't have potential or that she isn't marketable. I am genuinely asking - what are her numbers? She is on a multi-fight win streak and has won 2 belts. She's at the peak of her success. What is she drawing right now? Maybe that's why the guy said what he said. Maybe stats are showing she isn't exactly lighting fans on fire. I don't know. Maybe he's right, maybe wrong, I don't know.
Number of instagram followers:

Cristiane Cyborg: 1 million followers
Holly Holm: 1.9 million
Ronda Rousey: 12.5 million

Amanda Nunes: 0.915 milion

He is probably right about Nunes being the smallest draw.

But his mentality de-legitimizes the sport the way bellator de-legitimizes their promotion everytime they feed champions subpar competition to "build a brand" around fighters and "monetize revenue streams".

His perspective is a short sighted, bean counter, way of looking @ things.

·
Administrator
15,544 Posts

He is probably right about Nunes being the smallest draw.

But his mentality de-legitimizes the sport the way bellator de-legitimizes their promotion everytime they feed champions subpar competition to "build a brand" around fighters and "monetize revenue streams".

His perspective is a short sighted, bean counter, way of looking @ things.
I am talking about PPV numbers. Instagram and all that is irrelevant in terms of how much money she makes for the company. What matters is what you pull on PPV come fight night. I wonder where she lands among current champions, or current big names in general. Again to be clear, I am not saying she isn't marketable or doesn't have potential to be so, I am just curious as to why this guy says she isn't. I wonder if she is simply not pulling numbers appropriate for someone with 2 belts and KO's of nearly every major challenger/female great fighter on earth on her resume.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am talking about PPV numbers. Instagram and all that is irrelevant in terms of how much money she makes for the company. What matters is what you pull on PPV come fight night. I wonder where she lands among current champions, or current big names in general. Again to be clear, I am not saying she isn't marketable or doesn't have potential to be so, I am just curious as to why this guy says she isn't. I wonder if she is simply not pulling numbers appropriate for someone with 2 belts and KO's of nearly every major challenger/female great fighter on earth on her resume.

Social media following is a good predictor of PPV draw power.

To add to the above:

Conor McGregor: 31.3 million
Floyd Mayweather: 22.8 million

People say the UFC doesn't "promote them enough". The UFC doesn't determine how big of a draw someone is, or how many followers they have on social media. Fighters themselves determine that.

·
Administrator
15,544 Posts

To add to the above:

People say the UFC doesn't "promote them enough". The UFC doesn't determine how big of a draw someone is, or how many followers they have on social media. Fighters themselves determine that.
None of this matters. What matters is what her current, right now PPV numbers are. She is being promoted right now, she has 2 belts, she's on a stellar win streak, she is in her prime. Right now her numbers are going to roughly be as good as they get, potentially ever. I wonder what they are right now currently compared to previous female stars or current male stars.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
None of this matters. What matters is what her current, right now PPV numbers are. She is being promoted right now, she has 2 belts, she's on a stellar win streak, she is in her prime. Right now her numbers are going to roughly be as good as they get, potentially ever. I wonder what they are right now currently compared to previous female stars or current male stars.

Agree to disagree. :)

It might be fair to say that number of people who click the subscribe or follow buttons on social media are correlated with the number of people who click the buy pay per view button when someone is fighting.

I remember back when Sage Northcutt was being paid $40k to show and $40 to win and people complained because he was new to the UFC and being paid more than people who had been fighting there for years. Then you look at Sage Northcutt's number of followers on twitter and could see that Sage had 50,000 followers while the people who were paid less had only 10,000 followers even though they had been fighting in the UFC for 2-5 years.

If you've ever looked at Sage's social media he's done a ton of self promotion ever since he first got in the UFC. That's what makes the difference not who the UFC promotes.

I think social media numbers do matter -- feel free to disagree. I love people disagreeing especially if they can do so intelligently and teach me something.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Rhonda and Cyborg are names known worldwide and the mere mention of them being on a card will cause it to sell out.

Nunes is barely known outside of Brazil and those in the U.S. who do know of her are likely UFC junkies that know the entire roster bottom to top.

Rovell could have crafted his comment differently for better responses, but he's not entirely wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Bumping stuff said years ago.

·
The Title Guy
17,927 Posts
Yeah but a social media following doesn't determine how good a fighter is. For example, both Rachael Ostovich and Paige VanZant have extensive social media followings to the point that they're making more money as models then as fighters. However, they washed out of the UFC and while they considered Bellator they're fighting bare knuckle boxing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts