1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dana White: “[Fedor Emelianenko] Has Become My Obsession”Written by Tom Ngo
April 8th, 2010
Help 5thRound.com spread the word

Although UFC president Dana White has refused to acknowledge Fedor Emelianenko as the world’s premier heavyweight mixed martial artist, he sure can’t stop talking about bringing the Russian into his Octagon.

Yesterday, during a “UFC 112: Invincible” media pow-wow, White once again claimed they have been in contact with Team Fedor “more recently than you would think.”

Emelianenko is currently under contract with the UFC’s stateside rivals, Strikeforce, however in early March the two sides started to “tweak” the original three-fight contract they had agreed upon less than a year ago.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told us last month that, although they have yet to come to terms, he was looking forward to having their meal ticket back during the summertime.

“I think things are going well. There’s good dialog. There’s light at the end of the tunnel,” Coker told 5thRound.com. “I think it was good to go through this exercise, to button-up a few things. [Fedor returning in] June would be great. July would be great, but we want to get him back in a cage as soon as possible.”

One week later, Coker attended Dream.13 in Japan and notified reporters that Emelianenko would indeed be returning in late June to face Fabricio Werdum.

Coker may have been jumping the gun, as it appears the minor snags they were experiencing in early talks have caused negotiations to come to a complete stop. Despite having access to a CBS audience for “Strikeforce: Nashville,” where they could plaster Emelianenko’s face on primtetime television screens all across America, both sides have remained silent in regards to an extension as the April 17th event looms.

Unfortunately for Strikeforce, that has left a crack in the door just small enough for the heavyweight to slip through, which undoubtedly is wide enough for MMA’s ultimate antagonist to blast it right off the hinges.

“[Fedor Emelianenko] has become my obsession now. I want it worse than the fans want it,” White said of the WAMMA heavyweight champion’s elusive ways.

The highly publicized courtship of Emelianenko has been well documented. MMA’s baddest man has hit the free agent market on multiple occasions over the past few years, however shunned the UFC in favor of smaller promotions every time.

This isn’t the first time White has stirred the Emelianenko pot. In early January, well before word leaked that his current Strikeforce contract was in limbo, White again stated that he “recently” talked with Fedor’s people.

While White knows his dream of landing Emelianenko would be Strikeforce’s worst nightmare, he teased his counterparts by claiming he would never dare tamper with another company’s employee.

“I would never interfere with someone else’s contract,” White sheepishly said.

At the end of the day, if Emelieanko decides to bounce from Strikeforce, the UFC may still not be his landing spot. M-1 Global, the Russian-based company that represents Fedor and is owned by his manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, refuses to allow their client to fight on any show they can’t co-promote on.

That is the main barrier that has kept Fedor from joining the UFC and will continue to be a roadblock unless M-1 caves. While both sides have made it perfectly clear they will not budge when it comes to co-promotion, the UFC needs this deal a lot less than Team Fedor, despite White’s newly found “obsession.”
http://www.5thround.com/30942/dana-white-fedor-emelianenko-has-become-my-obsession/
thx dana :thumb04:

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Fedor will never fight in the UFC, everyone needs to just give it up.

Reactions: tb9109king

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unfortunately the co-promotion thing will still keep him out of the UFC. I don't know if it is an excuse to avoid risking his legacy, or more likely just bad management decisions...but unfortunate either way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Seems like every 6 months we get some hope the Fedor the destroyer might make his way to the UFC. Sadly for the fan it never pans out.

Still the thought of Fedor fighting some of the UFC big boys gets me excited

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Fedor will never fight in the UFC, M-1 and Fedor's loyalty to them will make sure of this....... unless Dana caves in to M-1 and their bullshit demands.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I stopped caring about Fedor joining the UFC a while ago. Fedor needs to start to take the lead M1 but I dont they he really cares about being portrayed as the best fighter in the world. If he joins the UFC then HELLLL YEA, and he if he doesnt...oh well :sarcastic01:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'm a Fedor fan but clearly business is more important than fighting the best. For most fighters, fighting the best is the biggest priority. For Fedor, building M-1 is more of an issue. The UFC will never co promote, so why not settle for pleasing the fans and earning some big money at the same time?

Sigh.

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
Seems like every 6 months we get some hope the Fedor the destroyer might make his way to the UFC. Sadly for the fan it never pans out.
Fedor will never fight in the UFC, M-1 and Fedor's loyalty to them will make sure of this....... unless Dana caves in to M-1 and their bullshit demands.
This, this and this. Same old crap and nothing changes. Recycled crap and always pops up every few months and leads nowhere. It's boring.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Fedor will be fighting in DREAM again by the end of the year and all but the hardcore fans will forget about him. He'll go back to fighting people way below his talent level etc.

I'm not longer interested in seeing him in the UFC. He wants to duck the best competition in the world then let him. Dana reportedly offered him $30million for 6 fights which is an ABSURD amount of money for a man who is NOT going to outdraw even some one like a TUF winner IMO. Fedor is fine sitting on his throne as "the best fighter that ever was" and I'm fine to watch his grasp on P4P status slip and fall. I mean, sure I'd love to see him fight some people in the UFC but as of right now there's more than enough talent in his division to make up for the lack of him IMO. I mean, the continuous roll of Cain, Carwin, Lesnar, Nog, Mir, JDS, CC, Gonzaga, Kongo etc is fine by me.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Fedor will be fighting in DREAM again by the end of the year and all but the hardcore fans will forget about him. He'll go back to fighting people way below his talent level etc.

I'm not longer interested in seeing him in the UFC. He wants to duck the best competition in the world then let him. Dana reportedly offered him $30million for 6 fights which is an ABSURD amount of money for a man who is NOT going to outdraw even some one like a TUF winner IMO. Fedor is fine sitting on his throne as "the best fighter that ever was" and I'm fine to watch his grasp on P4P status slip and fall. I mean, sure I'd love to see him fight some people in the UFC but as of right now there's more than enough talent in his division to make up for the lack of him IMO. I mean, the continuous roll of Cain, Carwin, Lesnar, Nog, Mir, JDS, CC, Gonzaga, Kongo etc is fine by me.
Very well said, Fedor is coasting to the end of his career, he doesn't want anything to do with a challenge anymore.

·
Kneel Before Christ!
8,024 Posts
Where was this when I was harassed, stalked and attacked and then left in full red when I singlehandedly(actually, a little assistance from my boy alizio) debated a legion of Fraudor nuthuggers several months ago. I guess the charade is growing thin, and only the truly wise could see it before it became blatantly obvious.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Your logic astounds me. Tell us more.

Really though, why do you think it will never happen?

Why would Dana mention his name if he didn't think it was going to happen sometime in the next couple of years? Otherwise he is just promoting Fedor, and despite what many people think he isn't stupid.

This, this and this. Same old crap and nothing changes. Recycled crap and always pops up every few months and leads nowhere. It's boring.
Guess it's just me, but I think it is inevitable. Fedor is gonna look for that last big payday at some point when he realizes he is going down hill. Where else will he look but the UFC?

I think it is just a matter of time.

Where was this when I was harassed, stalked and attacked and then left in full red when I singlehandedly(actually, a little assistance from my boy alizio) debated a legion of Fraudor nuthuggers several months ago. I guess the charade is growing thin, and only the truly wise could see it before it became blatantly obvious.
:praise01:

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
I'd really like to see what happens to this discussion if Fedor loses to Werdum.
I would (will) bet the majority of my points that it does not happen. Whether people want to believe it or not Fedor is a legit top 5 HW. I agree he probably shouldn't be considered the best in the world or p4p king with his last few years, but other than Rogers he has been fighting nothing but top 10 guys and winning. All.
His. Fights.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Never say never. I thought Quinton was done too, and now he's back for a six fight deal. Crazy.

Also, I really doubt Dana would be crazy enough to offer him $5 million per fight. M-1 denied that this is what they were offered. It's more likely Fedor or M-1, were offered something along the lines of what Chuck made at his peak: $500K per fight plus a cut of the PPV revenue.

...In the unlikely event that Fedor takes on Brock, Fedor gets demolished. Having seen what a journeyman heavyweight like Brett Rogers did to Fedor, it's quite obvious that Brock would do far worse to "The Last Emperor."

Once Brock gets a hold of Fedor, he pushes him against the cage, and beats the holy snot out of him.

Fedor's done right to stay away. :)

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,815 Posts
Renzo had the perfect answer to this the other day when someone asked if there was any chance of him rematching frank shamrock in the ufc.(less likely than fedor) He said "Only death is certain everything else is negotiable".

·
Kneel Before Christ!
8,024 Posts
I would (will) bet the majority of my points that it does not happen. Whether people want to believe it or not Fedor is a legit top 5 HW. I agree he probably shouldn't be considered the best in the world or p4p king with his last few years, but other than Rogers he has been fighting nothing but top 10 guys and winning. All.
His. Fights.
Tim Sylvia, Matt Lindland, Hong Man Choi, Gary Goodridge, Semmy Schilt, Ogowa, the other pro wrestler he fought(name escapes me), Zuluzihno and Fujiya are not top 10 HWs. They are tomato cans. With the exception of Arona and Lindland who are not HWs.

I'm missing guys too sadly enough. Washed up Coleman was top 10 at the time, don't know if that means anything though. So mightve been washed up, undersized Randleman..

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I'd love to see Fedor fight Brock and other UFC HWs, but I'm sick of waiting and hoping. Until I see his name on a UFC fight banner, I'll take the rumors with a grain of salt. Too bad his brother never made it to the UFC either. I think that was based on health issues though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts