Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre may not only be the most popular athlete in the sport today, he may be the person to help bridge the gap between mixed martial arts and the sports' regulation in his home country of Canada.

The enigmatic and popular fighter made a trip to Ottawa this week where he spoke to members of the Canadian Parliament, and was received well by all those in attendance. St-Pierre has twice been voted Canadian Athlete of the Year over the likes of hockey star Sidney Crosby, and he's becoming an important spokesperson for MMA everywhere.

UFC president Dana White recognizes the popularity surrounding St-Pierre, and also how he carries himself as a major influence on why he's able to do the things he does.

"He was doing PR and he was out there talking to government officials for us," White said about St-Pierre's visit to Parliament. "Georges St-Pierre has become a very important figure in sports, not only here in Canada, but around the world."

Featured in ads for Gatorade and now one of the faces of Under Armour as well, St-Pierre is a crossover star for taking MMA into the mainstream advertising world. White believes that he's an ambassador for the sport, and someone all Canadians can be proud of.

"I say this every time I'm up here and every time I talk about Georges St-Pierre, I don't know how the (expletive) this guy isn't sponsored by every Canadian company in Canada. He's a great champion, he's one of the classiest guys you'll ever meet, such a great representative for his country, our belt, and the sport," said White.

St-Pierre will be in attendance at UFC 113 at the Bell Centre, where he re-captured the UFC welterweight title two years ago. He has not relinquished the belt since that time.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11444&zoneid=2

And this is why Dana doesn't like the Anderson vs GSP idea lol....

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
And this is why Dana doesn't like the Anderson vs GSP idea lol....
Yeah, he is even pushing Silva out of the 185 in order to clear the path for GSP at middleweight.

I think it sucks not giving Andy the chance at 170, but i guess it´s what you get when you behave as Andy did in Abu Dabi.

Nevertheless, it´s great for MMA to have GSP as an ambassador, the guy really has the potencial to turn it bigger worldwide.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, he is even pushing Silva out of the 185 in order to clear the path for GSP at middleweight.

I think it sucks not giving Andy the chance at 170, but i guess it´s what you get when you behave as Andy did in Abu Dabi.

Nevertheless, it´s great for MMA to have GSP as an ambassador, the guy really has the potencial to turn it bigger worldwide.

Personally Anderson has ONNNNLY been very dominate, and i think Dana Overreacted on purpose just so he can use the words. "Anderson doesn't deserve GSP"....

Which is the biggest load of complete crap because, how can someone that gets bored in each of his fights, and dances, doesn't deserve someone that will FINALLY push him?? BS if you ask me

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Yea, I agree that I dont think Dana really wants to see this fight because of the marketing it might ruin for either fighter, more so for GSP though. I am a huge GSP fan but I would pay serious cash money for this event if it was in canada regardless if GSP wins or loses.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I agree that I dont think Dana really wants to see this fight because of the marketing it might ruin for either fighter, more so for GSP though. I am a huge GSP fan but I would pay serious cash money for this event if it was in canada regardless if GSP wins or loses.

He is a Business man first and a MMA Fan second, and even though I REALLY want to see this fight RIGHT NOW! I think its better for MMA if he lets GSP mop the floor with more fools and really gets a monster fan base, and expand our Amazing sport!

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
gsp has that it factor you want in any athlete you sponsor smart, well spoken, looks. as long as he keeps winning and dominating he will continue to grow the sport. him and lesnar are hands down the most popular guys the ufc has right now. anyone notice how the underarmor commercials show more gsp now and end with him as well.....f those other sports(except my football) mma + gsp = king!!!1

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gsp has that it factor you want in any athlete you sponsor smart, well spoken, looks. as long as he keeps winning and dominating he will continue to grow the sport. him and lesnar are hands down the most popular guys the ufc has right now. anyone notice how the underarmor commercials show more gsp now and end with him as well.....f those other sports(except my football) mma + gsp = king!!!1

I agree A LOT of people know Brock, but in my Experience EVERYONE know Kimbo Slice and Chuck Liddell without knowing the words "MMA"....

But that could just be a coincidence.........

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Personally Anderson has ONNNNLY been very dominate, and i think Dana Overreacted on purpose just so he can use the words. "Anderson doesn't deserve GSP"....

Which is the biggest load of complete crap because, how can someone that gets bored in each of his fights, and dances, doesn't deserve someone that will FINALLY push him?? BS if you ask me
If he wanted to prove he was dominant he should have at the very lest kept enough in the tank to finish Mai in the 5th instead of running like a bitch from the weak ass looping punches Maia was throwing, hell my grandmother could have telegraphed that shit and put Demian away.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
we will see if that is the case, kimbo might be known well, but that is more because of the youtube fights than anything. i dont think kimbo is the guy you consider to be "growing the sport". unless its with he casual fans but im tired of hearing kimbo and toney fans talk about how the two of them are gonna fight for the belt in 2011....

oh chuck yea he kinda is mma in the us right now but brock is higher up imo just because he brings the wrestling fans with him.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he wanted to prove he was dominant he should have at the very lest kept enough in the tank to finish Mai in the 5th instead of running like a bitch from the weak ass looping punches Maia was throwing, hell my grandmother could have telegraphed that shit and put Demian away.

I do agree, but at the same time would he be able to run away from GSP? And its not like he actually doesn't deserve GSP with how he handles his opponents...

It would be a mega fight, and Anderson couldn't fool around in there... It has the makings of a Epic Battle

we will see if that is the case, kimbo might be known well, but that is more because of the youtube fights than anything. i dont think kimbo is the guy you consider to be "growing the sport". unless its with he casual fans but im tired of hearing kimbo and toney fans talk about how the two of them are gonna fight for the belt in 2011....

oh chuck yea he kinda is mma in the us right now but brock is higher up imo just because he brings the wrestling fans with him.
Yeah i don't think Kimbo is representing the sport NEARLY as good as GSP... Or even in the same ballpark, but i think people know his name more then GSP...

And yeah Chuck is freaky big in US and Japan, i wonder who is bigger Brock or Chuck... I know Brock will def be more popular in the future but is that now? hmmmm

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I agree that Kimbo has the potential to bring a lot of fans to the UFC/MMA by being a average fighter. He is very easy to like because of his personality, he is very humble and seems like a guy you would want to hang out with.

Brock Lesnar is more popular right now, you can tell by the PPV numbers. People either want to watch Brock get his get knocked in, or see this freakish big man maul people.

PPV numbers = popularity

·
Banned
689 Posts
if he keeps giving performances like against hardy than more people are gonna start turning on him.

just wrestling doesn't win you anymore fans, especially casuals

1 - 14 of 14 Posts