Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“I’m also a day or two away from securing a private island,” White said. “I have a private island that I’ve secured. We’re getting the infrastructure put in now, so I’m gonna start doing the international fights too with international fighters. Because I won’t be able to get international fighters, all of them into the US, so I have a private island and I’m gonna start flying them all into the private island and doing international fights from there. ... We have all our own planes and everything.”

“Everybody is going to be pre-tested and tested and tested,” White said. “We’re going to make sure that 100 percent healthy athletes, healthy athletic commission people, healthy judges, referees, my production people, that everybody there is healthy. We’re going to make sure that everybody is safe before, during and after the fights.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/4/7...-and-joe-rogan

·
Super Moderator
8,093 Posts
The whole idea is a tinder box.

He should probably just leave it until its all over. Gyms are closed, fighters can't train. All it takes one person spreading something during the event and it'll be a PR nightmare, all the hard work getting events sanctioned around the world and in the US could all end up being for nought.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone think its weird how WWE and pro wrestling continue to produce live events.

Without criticism or attacks.

The second Dana White schedules events. On an island. With 100% full testing.

Doctors and others bend over backwards to shut it down.

Double standards everywhere.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
WWE and other pro wrestling promotions can get away with it because in most states pro wrestling isn't regulated and is essentially a form of theater which also isn't regulated. MMA is a state athletic commission regulated sport. Though I should note I read another article stating that UFC 249 at least will be hosted on a native American reservation which coincidently is across town from myself, the Tachi Palace which is where WEC hosted most of its' pre-Zuffa events.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WWE aired many events, post corona.

Its only when the UFC announces its events will continue that bodies like the ARP (Association of Ringside Physicians) come out and attack the UFC for doing so.

There is so much anti UFC bias in the media. And there has been for such a long time.

I wonder what it'll take for people to recognize it.

·
Super Moderator
8,093 Posts
WWE aired many events, post corona.

Its only when the UFC announces its events will continue that bodies like the ARP (Association of Ringside Physicians) come out and attack the UFC for doing so.

There is so much anti UFC bias in the media. And there has been for such a long time.

I wonder what it'll take for people to recognize it.
I see the logic in shutting it down to be honest. If a fighter becomes contagious after the test done, then the likelihood is that he/she will pass it onto their opponent. Fighters are fit and really have little to worry about, unless they've run their body down during a weight cut. But these fighters could then pass it on to cutmen, refs, camps and doctors who in turn pass it on to... you know the rest.

The risks probably are a little bit overblown but at the end of the day if this event does spread the Corona its going to be a nightmare for the UFC. The very fact they are trying to stage an event has made worldwide news, should something happen the media will have a field day with it.

I don't get the risk for one event. Give it 3 months, most likely it will have blown over by then.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If a fighter becomes contagious after the test done, then the likelihood is that he/she will pass it onto their opponent.
Dana says they're testing. Everyone involved knows the risks and can choose to opt out.

If corona spreads. It will be because of nations with open borders. It will be on fake news calling Trump a racist for banning infected travellers from china. It will be on the World Health Organization recommending people not use face masks.

It won't be because of Dana and the UFC hosting fights for 24 athletes one day a week with a small support staff. All of whom were tested.

Give it 3 months, most likely it will have blown over by then.
The upper estimate is 12 to 24 months.

I think the upper estimate is accurate.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
China is already allowing their people to start returning to business as usual which is either irresponsible or reasonable to be sure. Things aren't going to get any worse at this point cause we have shut things down to a crawl and cases are isolated. Also the summer is bad for this virus so getting out will pretty much kill it.

·
Super Moderator
8,093 Posts
Dana says they're testing. Everyone involved knows the risks and can choose to opt out.

If corona spreads. It will be because of nations with open borders. It will be on fake news calling Trump a racist for banning infected travellers from china. It will be on the World Health Organization recommending people not use face masks.

It won't be because of Dana and the UFC hosting fights for 24 athletes one day a week with a small support staff. All of whom were tested.

The upper estimate is 12 to 24 months.

I think the upper estimate is accurate.
It could become less contagious over the summer months, it wont go away but it will at least give countries time to be fully prepared for the winter outbreak - with hopefully a vaccine available by the following summer.

If the UFC can hold an event, then why not all sports? Restart the suspended football leagues across the world, baseball, NFL, Hocky, Cricket, Rugby, Olympics, Boxing. What could possibly go wrong in an age where we are told social distancing is the key to suppressing this thing?

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Well also remember the Olympics has been postponed to next year. Also I don't think there will be a winter outbreak if it's still around during the summer. At some point this is going to run its' path and I do believe it will be sooner rather then later.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also the summer is bad for this virus so getting out will pretty much kill it.
The virus has a shorter infection lifespan when temperatures rise. If it can survive on surfaces and infect people for 4 days in cold weather. It might only survive on surfaces in warm weather for 4 hours. Ditto with the flu.

hopefully a vaccine available by the following summer.
SARS has been around since 2002. 18 years later we still have no vaccine for SARS.

Unless there have been some major breakthroughs. We may not have a viable vaccine anytime soon. Which is ok. Vaccines aren't necessarily the best approach.

If the UFC can hold an event, then why not all sports? Restart the suspended football leagues across the world, baseball, NFL, Hocky, Cricket, Rugby, Olympics, Boxing. What could possibly go wrong in an age where we are told social distancing is the key to suppressing this thing?
Team sports are not viable. The entire season of NBA, MLB, hockey, football is invalidated the second 1 player on a team is infected. Entire teams could be infected at certain points of the year. Which would screw up the schedule and games played. The logistics of it are impossible. Those sport leagues and athletes are also in a better position to take a year off from a financial perspective.

If everyone involved in UFC events is tested. It can greatly minimize, if not eliminate, the danger.

At some point this is going to run its' path and I do believe it will be sooner rather then later.
That would be great.

·
Super Moderator
8,093 Posts
The virus has a shorter infection lifespan when temperatures rise. If it can survive on surfaces and infect people for 4 days in cold weather. It might only survive on surfaces in warm weather for 4 hours. Ditto with the flu.

SARS has been around since 2002. 18 years later we still have no vaccine for SARS.

Unless there have been some major breakthroughs. We may not have a viable vaccine anytime soon. Which is ok. Vaccines aren't necessarily the best approach.

Team sports are not viable. The entire season of NBA, MLB, hockey, football is invalidated the second 1 player on a team is infected. Entire teams could be infected at certain points of the year. Which would screw up the schedule and games played. The logistics of it are impossible. Those sport leagues and athletes are also in a better position to take a year off from a financial perspective.

If everyone involved in UFC events is tested. It can greatly minimize, if not eliminate, the danger.

That would be great.
SARS was a flash in the pan that infected about 9000 people in total and was over before a vaccine could be developed for it.

I would say the UFC is in a better financial position that most other sports teams since they only pay fighters if the fight. The same thing applied to them, affected fighters cannot not fight, most likely this mean fighters from the same camp cannot fight. They may be able to work around it better but they will still be hammered by all sides of the media who already label it as a barbaric sport. People are looking for scapegoats, someone or something to point a finger at and the UFC is already a prime target.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SARS was a flash in the pan that infected about 9000 people in total and was over before a vaccine could be developed for it.
Researchers maintain samples of SARS and have tried to create vaccines for it over the years.

I would say the UFC is in a better financial position that most other sports teams since they only pay fighters if the fight. The same thing applied to them, affected fighters cannot not fight, most likely this mean fighters from the same camp cannot fight. They may be able to work around it better but they will still be hammered by all sides of the media who already label it as a barbaric sport. People are looking for scapegoats, someone or something to point a finger at and the UFC is already a prime target.
The UFC model is built around them giving each fighter 3 fights a year. In previous years they did 50+ events annually. For 2020 they only had 40 something events planned. Which is a big step down from their usual event couunt.

I might argue, larger and more lucrative sports leagues with bigger banks, spectator counts and paychecks are better positioned to survive depressions. For the same reasons the wealthy can afford to wait out crisis in luxurious bunkers while those less fortunate would be more disadvantaged.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Well one thing to remember is that various sports leagues do make money during their off seasons including the UFC from various sponsorship deals, merchandising, intellectual property, video libraries, etc. Also I don't think people realize it but what we commonly call corona virus or COVID-19 is in long former called SARS-CoV-2. It is literally SARS 2.0.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I don't think people realize it but what we commonly call corona virus or COVID-19 is in long former called SARS-CoV-2. It is literally SARS 2.0.

SARS 1.0 infected the lungs.

SARS 2.0 (current corona) infects the lungs and attacks the immune system similar to HIV. Its similarity to HIV is the reason they treated corona with anti HIV drugs. Its like SARS and HIV/AIDS crossbred to produced a hybrid virus.

2.0 is also much more infectious than 1.0 and has a far higher lethality rate. How would people explain this?

Strange how so many claim to be interested or knowledgeable about science. Yet we see no one discussing any of the relevent issues. Its like all the smart people in the world disappeared. And all we're left with are those who fail to understand the basics.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Yeah but SARS 2.0 can be beaten unlike HIV which sticks with people for life. Also while there is a higher infection and fatality rate, 2.0 in the grander scheme of things has a low fatality rate of less then 1% and 80% of carriers are asymptomatic. There will probably come a point where it'll peak and while a vaccine probably won't come out before then, life will somewhat return to normal.

·
Super Moderator
8,093 Posts

I would say the UFC is in a better financial position that most other sports teams since they only pay fighters if the fight. The same thing applied to them, effect fighters cannot not fight, most likely this mean fighters from the same camp cannot fight. They may be able to work around it better but they will still be hammered by all sides of the media who already label it as a barbaric sport. People are looking for scapegoats, someone or something to point a finger at and the UFC is already a prime target.
Researchers maintain samples of SARS and have tried to create vaccines for it over the years.

The UFC model is built around them giving each fighter 3 fights a year. In previous years they did 50+ events annually. For 2020 they only had 40 something events planned. Which is a big step down from their usual event couunt.

I might argue, larger and more lucrative sports leagues with bigger banks, spectator counts and paychecks are better positioned to survive depressions. For the same reasons the wealthy can afford to wait out crisis in luxurious bunkers while those less fortunate would be more disadvantaged.
How much is being invested into a virus that infected few and was last seen 16/17 years ago? There is already a global effort underway and vaccine trials have already begun. There is no need to be pessimistic regarding a vaccine.

Like many other sports teams, the UFC relies on TV revenue, live gates and sponsorship as its main source of revenue. Unlike most other sports teams the UFC does not have same overheads and does not have to pay their fighters when they are not fighting. For example a football team like Manchester United has an annual wage bill of 350 million, they also have overheads that the UFC doesnt have like maintaining a 76,000 capacity stadium and extensive training facilities and academies. The UFC is in a better position than most because it does not have the same overheads, it can more or less go into hibernation and resume where it left off.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Everyone who says
Yeah but SARS 2.0 can be beaten unlike HIV which sticks with people for life. Also while there is a higher infection and fatality rate, 2.0 in the grander scheme of things has a low fatality rate of less then 1% and 80% of carriers are asymptomatic. There will probably come a point where it'll peak and while a vaccine probably won't come out before then, life will somewhat return to normal.

Everyone who says corona will burn itself out. Is saying this under the expectation that it will behave the way normal and natural pandemics do. But what if its not a normal and natural pandemic. What if this was engineered in a lab. Will it burn itself out the way normal pandemics do. That's the real question imo.

The first wave of spanish flu had a low mortality rate. Over time the virus became better adapted to human biology and mortality rates rose. That could be the model for natural viruses. Corona having very high infection and mortality out of the box could mean it was engineered. Not to mention it behaving like a cross hybrid of SARS and AIDS. Almost as if someone combined the RNA of SARS and HIV to create a more deadly virus. China just happens to be the largest financial supporter and researcher of CRISPR gene editing research in the world.

Osama Bin Laden was killed roughly 1 year before Barack Obama was up for re-election in 2011. Iranian general Soleimani was killed around 1 year before Donald Trump is up for re-election. Roughly 1 year before the 2020 elections. November 2019. That's around the time the 1st cases of corona virus were detected.

Those are all very amazing coincidences, if you think about it.

Which of course no one will want to think about this at all. Its too terrifying to consider. Much easier to blindly believe governments and china love you, care about you and want the best for you. That's what the fake news says. Its what many will believe. And so the world will continue to become a more shitty place to live.

·
The Title Guy
16,901 Posts
Are we really going the route of assuming that China engineered it and it got out on their population then spread worldwide? Also remember that in higher heat this disease doesn't work well which is good considering summer is upon us. If it isn't wiped out all together it will take a hit during the summer.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It doesn't matter @ this point if china engineered it. Too late for pointing fingers. I think they 100% definitely did engineer it. There's plenty of evidence for it everywhere. It explains china, the World Health Organization and other leftist groups working to ensure the spread of the virus.

All that really matters now is how do we contain it, treat it and recover. How do we prevent similar tragedies in the future. And so on.

But like Barack Obama once said: "global warming won't be solved by changing your lightbulbs. It takes a collective effort". That collective effort is what we've always needed but never been able to find. Its what Trump needed to build the wall, fix healthcare and taxes. People blame Trump for these things. Politics are merely a mirror reflection of those they represent. And the general public has long since decided it doesn't give a fk. If people themselves don't care, why should they expect anyone else to.

Don't forget Saddam Hussein tested chemical weapons on his own people. Syria did the same multiple times to pull the US into military conflict there. Its very common for totalitarian regimes to test or unleash munitions on their own people. What would be weird is if they used chemical or biological weapons on someone other than their own.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts