Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dana White Not Planning on Velasquez vs. dos Santos3
Comments
Say Something »
3/24/2010 5:00 PM ET By Michael David Smith
.PrintAText SizeE-mail More
Michael David Smith
Michael David Smith is FanHouse's Lead Blogger

UFC President Dana White said during a conversation with reporters in Toronto that he would like to give title shots to both of his top young heavyweight prospects, Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos, rather than matching them up against each other in a title elimination bout.

"Dos Santos got himself in the mix the other day," White said. "If you question whether he should be or not, he showed you the other night that he should be. The great thing is, a guy asked me out there, 'Are you going to do Cain Velasquez against dos Santos now?' The way I see it is, and the way my luck has gone lately, with injuries and stuff, I think you keep these guys in line."

White said the winner of the UFC 111 fight between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin would be first in line for a shot at heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar. Velasquez is next in line after the Mir-Carwin winner, and dos Santos is after that.

"You've got Mir and Carwin fighting, whoever comes out, if the winner doesn't have any cuts or break his hand or anything like that, he goes right out and fights Brock Lesnar this summer," White said. "Then you've got Cain Velasquez waiting in the wings for the next fight. Then you've got dos Santos ready for the next one. I like having those guys in line and we'll have a lot of good fights -- title fights that people actually care about."

Asked whether that means dos Santos would have to wait a year before he gets that title shot, White said he'd put dos Santos back into the Octagon sooner than that.

"I don't think it'll be a year," White said. "He can fight again. It's not like we're going to put him on the bench and say, 'Oh, we'll hold you here.' But you don't have him fight Cain Velasquez. If he loses along the way to somebody else, he definitely wasn't ready for Lesnar or whoever the champion is."
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/03/24/dana-white-not-planning-on-velasquez-vs-dos-santos/
didnt think so

i really like giving Cain vs Brock 1st and JDS vs winner of Mir/Carwin.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Thank God, good move Dana.

There is no reason to derail one of these guys hype trains against each other.

And I also want to see Cain vs Lesnar and JDS vs Carwin/Mir winner. :thumb02:

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I still don't see how Cain is any more ready than JDS. I like both guys, but it's easy to see who's amassed the more impressive resume. And say I'm cool with Cain fighting for the title first... and I pose this question to his die-hard fans, as well... is waiting until November or December to fight, at the earliest, not a little much? We're talking about quite a lengthy stretch without stepping into the Octagon. Nine to ten months at the earliest. If Mir or Carwin seem ready and able for Brock come mid-summer, I'd like to see Cain fight on the same card, even if it's against someone he'd be expected to defeat. I mean, you'd think UFC would at least want to keep him active. A nearly year long lay-off could cripple his momentum.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I dont like this much, you have two hyped fighters not fighting for a really long time. I would rather see one of the two take a loss then be out for a year.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
alizio is wiping the sweat off his brow...lol.....why not mir vs LesNAR after Mir beats Carwin???:confused02: Time to rest???
As a huge Mir fan I would like to see Mir get a few fights before he gets to Lesnar. This way he gets to improve as much as he can on the ground, as get use to his new found bulk.

I would like to see Lesnar vs Cain this june or july. Frank gets JDS this summer also, and the winners of those bouts meet up before the end of the year.

While this is what I would like to see, I dont think it's going to happen.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Either way they'll cross paths eventually. Suppose each should have their fair shot at the title...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Either way they'll cross paths eventually. Suppose each should have their fair shot at the title...
Being that they are both kinda young they are gonna fight a few times in their career. I just dont think it should happen this year.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
IMO, Cain is at the bottom of the title contenders. Carwin would KO him, JDS would KO him, Lesnar would TKO him, Frank would TKO/Sub him. The only person I see him having a mild chance against is JDS, since we have yet to see his TDD tested. He MIGHT be able to grind out a decision against him but I doubt JDS wouldn't KO him before the end. I'm not saying Cain is bad but I just don't see him ever beating any of those guys.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I dont care about hype trains. I want to see the best fights. So who are these 2 guys gonna fight if not each other?

Nog vs JDS
Cain vs Big Belly Nelson
JDS vs Kongo

I think jds is a nightmare for nog, although jds vs Kongo might be fun it would be a step down.

I guess we'll have to wait till sunday to see what Dana's plan is.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I really think we need to see JDS fight again soon. I am still not convinced that he is line for a title shot unlike Velasquez. I think just one more fight with a good standup guy will warrant a title shot for him or no1 contender.

I would do anything to see Sergei Kharitonov in the UFC and Kharitonov vs Dos Santos sounds very pleasing. If JDS stood with the Russian and won by KO that would elevate JDS 100% into one of best strikers in the HW division.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nog vs JDS

I think jds is a nightmare for nog, although jds vs Kongo might be fun it would be a step down.
QUOTE]

Nog is training JDS so that is one fight you won't see. I think it would be an extremely long layoff for JDS if he's just waiting around for a title shot. They could always feed him and Cain a couple of cans just to keep them busy.

Saturday: Mir/Carwin for interim title
July/August: Brock vs. Mir/Carwin winner to unify belts
November/December: Champ vs. Cain

·
Gracie Hunter
1,021 Posts
This Is where Dana shows he's a business man first and a fan second.

But yeah, who can blame him, I drive a VW not a Ferrari

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Pathetic.

Why don't they start lining up title shots for 2011 and 2012. I say Kimbo waits until 2012 to fight, lets not derail his hype train.

Its pathetic. This new idea of earning title shots while #1 contender matches are still yet to be fought is dumb. So now if you are the 2nd contender you sit around for a title shot? It is stupid.

You make fights people want to see. I can't wait until they get an injury and throw on some crappy card like 109 was and refuse to use 2 guys that would be a mega main event. Give fans what they want, and if you are one that doesn't want them to fight then you are just gobbled up by the UFC hype non sense. Let it play out to get a real contender. Cain deserves a shot no more than JDS. It is stupid that Cain gets to wait while JDS has to fight. It makes perfect sense to see who actually deserves it 1st.

Again...pathetic.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Pathetic.

Why don't they start lining up title shots for 2011 and 2012. I say Kimbo waits until 2012 to fight, lets not derail his hype train.

Its pathetic. This new idea of earning title shots while #1 contender matches are still yet to be fought is dumb. So now if you are the 2nd contender you sit around for a title shot? It is stupid.

You make fights people want to see. I can't wait until they get an injury and throw on some crappy card like 109 was and refuse to use 2 guys that would be a mega main event. Give fans what they want, and if you are one that doesn't want them to fight then you are just gobbled up by the UFC hype non sense. Let it play out to get a real contender. Cain deserves a shot no more than JDS. It is stupid that Cain gets to wait while JDS has to fight. It makes perfect sense to see who actually deserves it 1st.

Again...pathetic.
I totally agree, it is pathetic!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
IMO, Cain is at the bottom of the title contenders. Carwin would KO him, JDS would KO him, Lesnar would TKO him, Frank would TKO/Sub him. The only person I see him having a mild chance against is JDS, since we have yet to see his TDD tested. He MIGHT be able to grind out a decision against him but I doubt JDS wouldn't KO him before the end. I'm not saying Cain is bad but I just don't see him ever beating any of those guys.
Carwin wont just KO everyone just because he KOd Gonzaga and a load of sub par fighters. If anyone is going to avoid his punches it's Cain due to superior head movement and technique.

We've seen How Cain can can drop fighters too, I wouldn't be so sure it wont be King Kong Carwin getting KOd in that fight. That's after Mir smashed him anyway.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
no surprise, this was my view on the issue as well. keep the twoyoung up and comers away from each other unless it becomes absolutely necessary to match them up. the more hype they get the more money they get when they face each other, actually JDS does not have as much hype as cain just yet. want proof? cain main event on a ppv.while JDS not the main event(still on the main card) for a fight night.that might not prove a lot but it seems as though maybe dana and co. dont feel he can headline a card yet.

I see the same thing happening with Jon Jones, and Ryan Bader- bring them up on opposite sides of the division until they get to the top.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts