Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something's been bugging me for a while and I'd like to get your opinion. Dana White has always let BJ Penn fight at 170 whenever he wanted. In fact, lately Dana has even said that he would consider the LW division "cleaned out" if BJ beats Edgar (it was in that interview in Abu Dahbi that was posted recently). Dana would fully support BJ vacating the LW title and moving up to WW permanently.

Dana has also showed that he's willing to let Anderson Silva fight anybody at any weight. He even said that if Anderson could make the cut to 170, he'd "consider" a Silva/GSP fight. However, whenever anyone asks him about GSP moving up to 185, Dana White is always emphatic that he is against that move and I don't understand why given his willingness to let Penn and Silva do pretty much what they want. You wouldn't have to set up Silva/GSP right away. You could give GSP a fight or two against mid-tier MWs to test the waters first. Whenever champions step up in weight class to test themselves it always draws huge buzz so why limit your money-making options?

Why does Dana let Penn and Silva routinely risk their legacies by testing themselves outside their weight classes yet Dana seems to loathe the idea of GSP doing the same? Let me be clear, I'm not questioning GSP's desire to move up; I'm questioning Dana White's thinking as a promoter and a business man. Thoughts?

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I think the main reason for that is, that GSP is such a huge draw and sells a lot of PPV's. If he would move up and lose to Silva or any other MW, Dana would lose many many buy's for GSP as a WW fighter in the future.

Silva and Penn aren't that big of a draws for the UFC then GSP. I guess that's the main reason..:dunno:

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Penn sells a lot too, that's true! But still not as much as GSP. And I believe Penn would even sell more as a WW again, so Dana doesn't hold him back at all.

Same with Silva! He sells more when he moves in weight I believe..

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Dana thinks GSP will get smashed at 185.

So do i.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the main reason for that is, that GSP is such a huge draw and sells a lot of PPV's. If he would move up and lose to Silva or any other MW, Dana would lose many many buy's for GSP as a WW fighter in the future.

Silva and Penn aren't that big of a draws for the UFC then GSP. I guess that's the main reason..:dunno:
I'm not disagreeing but it's hard to compare the fighter's drawing power because GSP has been co-main-eventing with the HW title his last 2 appearances. Likewise with Anderson Silva, his last 2 fights he's been the co-main event with BJ Penn. That brings me to another question I just thought of: Why are the 2 fighters that Dana considers to the best P4P in the world CO-main-eventing so much recently? Wouldn't it be smarter business to spread out these main event calibre fights over more shows?

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
I think the main reason for Dana's objections is that he doesn't consider GSP a MW. I heard him on many occasions talking about how GSP isn't even a big WW. And, if you compare him to Alves, Rumble, even Hardy...he is right. Even though, GSP is very lean and has almost no fat on him.
And please take this in consideration. Almost all the fighters at MW are bigger than him, they are cutting from well over 200 lbs (210 even). I am absolutely confident GSP would dominate almost everyone at MW, because of his insane wrestling.
Another reason is, GSP still has some good fights at WW, some rematches that could be interesting: Fitch, Alves, Kos.
And i think Dana is still dreaming about GSP-Penn 3.

But, in the end, maybe Dana has some secret plans. (Jake Shields?!?!:))

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I'm not disagreeing but it's hard to compare the fighter's drawing power because GSP has been co-main-eventing with the HW title his last 2 appearances. Likewise with Anderson Silva, his last 2 fights he's been the co-main event with BJ Penn. That brings me to another question I just thought of: Why are the 2 fighters that Dana considers to the best P4P in the world CO-main-eventing so much recently? Wouldn't it be smarter business to spread out these main event calibre fights over more shows?
That's true! It's hard to actually compare the drawing numbers to PPV buys and to the fighters in general. I think Mir was also a huge draw for 111 for example.

And I think the reason why he put's Anderson and BJ on the same card, is that he wants one/two big PPV buy's like 2 times in a year, same for GSP and the HW's. Many because bigger numbers like UFC 100 is better buesniss for him then to have GSP or Penn sell alone 400k without a good card or Co.Main Event.

yes but the thing with the frame stands for BJ as well limba!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I don't believe it. GSP isn't too small and his wrestling technique is still the best. He would be a top5 MW the same as Silva is a top fight LHW.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
The only fighter he would POSSIBLY lose to at MW is Silva, You people forget that he trains and wrestles with guys from MW and LHW all the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think GSP would perform as well at MW as some posters do. Georges has excellent technique, mabye best takedowns in MMA today. But when he takes people down at welterweight he is able to muscle them around a good bit. Excellent wrestling/top control and great jiu-jitsu, but likely unable to control people on the bottom and keep them down at MW like he can at welterweight. Throw in longer limbs and greater power at middlweight, and GSP has a much better chance at getting caught, or at least not getting the takedown as quickly (tho he'd still get amazing percentages on his takedowns). Some great fights maybe but at least if Silva came down in weight it wouldn't tarnish GSP as much as GSP going up, fighing another middleweight and losing. MW contenders like Marquardt and Chonnen, probably others I'm missing - would likely beat GSP - my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The only fighter he would POSSIBLY lose to at MW is Silva, You people forget that he trains and wrestles with guys from MW and LHW all the time.
He could possibly lose to Maia, Marquardt, Akiyama, Belfort. I'm not even sure he'd be the favorite against Henderson. But I could see him being competitive or beating any of those guys as well. They would be good fights and he wouldn't get easily out-sized or out-muscled by any of them.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
How would he get outsized by Maia or Akiyama? Both guys are WW's masquerading at MW. Thiago Alves and Dan Hardy are both probably more physically imposing than either Maia or Akiyama.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Dana was pushing for GSP/Andy to happen before so what actually happened is GSP told Dana he isn't moving up because Andy makes him shit himself. So then Dana started saying that Andy is too big for GSP to fight at 185 even though GSP is now ten pounds over the limit.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
^ I know right, I love how coversation was heating up leading into the forrest/anderson fight then as soon as anderson destroys griff dana starts back peddling on the whole thing..And GSP starts talkin about phantom groin injuries, needing 6 months to put on 15lbs of muscle (despite walkin around at 210) and best of all flirting with going to the olympics just to scare dana from ever making the fight..The guy is yellow and the fact that dana is considering having this fight if anderson makes 170 is very telling

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
GSP has more marketability than Silva or BJ. Look at the guy, he looks like the perfect athlete and he's an MMA fighter. I would say GSP and Lesnar are the face of the UFC right now. These two guys are being protected because they attract an audience and it's mostly because of their spectacular physique and athletic abilities. GSP is trying out for the olympics...come on, if he loses it's do terrible things to his rep; also, imagine how much great it would be for GSP to be in the Olympics, please note that White was more than happy to let him take some time off and participate in it lol it has to do with money guys.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Second post on this thread...
And something else came to my mind.:confused02:

I think GSP would be a successful MW, but not sure if he would be a champion. And what Dana wants at this moment is for GSP to be a Champion. Why is that?!? I think it's simple: money, PPV buys, media interest, publicity, exposure...IN CANADA that is..!!!!
Remember UFC 97, pre-fight conference???
Dana White said (quote): "Canada is the mecca for mixed martial arts...I honestly don't think there are too many places we could go and sell 22,000 tickets as fast as we did here. People up here tell me ...".
No doubt, the interest for MMA in Canada is very high. GSP was named sporting personality of the year in Canada, MMA is becoming more and more popular. And GSP is a the main reason for that.
If i'm not mistaking MMA is not legal in all canadian states. Dana has noticed the rise in popularity of MMA in Canada and he intends to take full advantage of that. Proof: UFC 115 Vancouver. And the potential is huge. After USA, Canada is the UFC's second biggest market....
And that's why i think he needs GSP as champion, in order to generate a lot of interest from the canadian fans. It's not like the canadian fans wouldn't buy tikets or PPV's no more if GSP would fight at MW, but at WW he is the undisputed king, and it's another feeling for canadians to have a cnadian as a champion, as one of the best.

And now, Dana is taking a similar approach on the british market imo, another one with huge potential.
Have you ever thought that one of the reason for Hardy's title shot could be this one...??? ()

·
Registered
19 Posts
Second post on this thread...
And something else came to my mind.:confused02:

I think GSP would be a successful MW, but not sure if he would be a champion. And what Dana wants at this moment is for GSP to be a Champion. Why is that?!? I think it's simple: money, PPV buys, media interest, publicity, exposure...IN CANADA that is..!!!!
Remember UFC 97, pre-fight conference???
Dana White said (quote): "Canada is the mecca for mixed martial arts...I honestly don't think there are too many places we could go and sell 22,000 tickets as fast as we did here. People up here tell me ...".
No doubt, the interest for MMA in Canada is very high. GSP was named sporting personality of the year in Canada, MMA is becoming more and more popular. And GSP is a the main reason for that.
If i'm not mistaking MMA is not legal in all canadian states. Dana has noticed the rise in popularity of MMA in Canada and he intends to take full advantage of that. Proof: UFC 115 Vancouver. And the potential is huge. After USA, Canada is the UFC's second biggest market....
And that's why i think he needs GSP as champion, in order to generate a lot of interest from the canadian fans. It's not like the canadian fans wouldn't buy tikets or PPV's no more if GSP would fight at MW, but at WW he is the undisputed king, and it's another feeling for canadians to have a cnadian as a champion, as one of the best.

And now, Dana is taking a similar approach on the british market imo, another one with huge potential.
Have you ever thought that one of the reason for Hardy's title shot could be this one...??? ()
damn you a smart motherfucker

1 - 20 of 35 Posts