Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just saw this recent interview with Dana White saying that Conor McGregor has an "old injury" going into UFC 205.

Does anyone think this could affect Conor's performance ?

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
If McGregor is still hurt he is going to get exposed. Eddie will shoot and twist those legs up all night. You don't want a leg injury facing an elite wrestler.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
He tore his ACL 14 weeks before he faced the last "elite wrestler" to step in the Octagon with him, and how did that end up? A sore foot isn't going to stop Conor knocking Alvarez out.

Reactions: Chad Teru

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
He tore his ACL 14 weeks before he faced the last "elite wrestler" to step in the Octagon with him, and how did that end up? A sore foot isn't going to stop Conor knocking Alvarez out.
Something did stop Conor from knocking Nate out in their first fight (actually in the second too).
Anyway, if things go south for him, I expect more people bringing up his "bruised knee" as the reason.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Dana said its the foot injury Conor got from kicking Nate in the knee.

I hope Conor keeps both belts if he beats Alvarez.

Aldo only fought once or twice a year anyway. I don't think Conor should get heat if he only defends the FW belt once or twice a year.

Aldo did that for a long time and never got criticized for it.

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
Aldo only fought once or twice a year anyway. I don't think Conor should get heat if he only defends the FW belt once or twice a year.

Aldo did that for a long time and never got criticized for it.
While Aldo was the FW Champion, there wasn't a single year he did not defend his belt.
Conor is already behind on this matter. He won't defend his FW belt for the whole duration of 2016 already. And he wasn't injured like Aldo, he was losing and rematching a replacement in a division neither belong while Frankie Edgar waited, smh.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
While Aldo was the FW Champion, there wasn't a single year he did not defend his belt.
Conor is already behind on this matter. He won't defend his FW belt for the whole duration of 2016 already. And he wasn't injured like Aldo, he was losing and rematching a replacement in a division neither belong while Frankie Edgar waited, smh.
I think Conor won the belt in december 2015?

If he defends by december 2016, he's good for his once every 12 months title defense?

:confused02:

I seem to remember there was a heavyweight boxing champion who didn't want to defend his belt.

He threw his belt in a trash can and said whoever won the title after him would be a garbage picker.

Found it. @ 0:26. It was Riddick Bowe.

If Conor is as much a dick as some think he is, I won't be surprised if he does something similar if he relinquishes the FW belt.

Drop the FW belt in a trash can and say Frankie Edgar / Jose Aldo are picking through the trash for the belt that he didn't want.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
technically, you're right, but he had a 13 months layoff between his bouts against Chad Mendes (January 2012) and Frankie Edgar (February 2013), then again a little more than a year between His second bout with Chad (October 2014) and his fight against Conor (December 2015)

Granted, these were due to some mishaps, injuries and whatnot, while Conor didn't defend but still kept fighting. I'd argue that at least Conor isn't shelved during that time and could, if he would, defend his belt. But each of his fight has broken attendance and PPV records, Aldo, really, was never a draw to the point of his skill level, for one who is in all the P4P discussions, he was actually not even in the main, but the co-main event at 3 of his 7 PPV appearances/6 title defenses, to GSP vs Shields (long gone from the UFC), Edgar (yep) vs Maynard (barely relevant anymore) 3, and Barao (has his ups and downs) vs Faber (in pre-retirement) 2

Conor is more active than Aldo never was, and each time he fights, the UFC numbers break records. With Jones doing whatever and Rousey being who knows where, Conor is of upmost importance for the UFC right now (and he knows it), as their only current and extremely active superstar, he is profitable and marketable like no other. Aldo, and I know I'm repeating myself here, wouldn't be bothered to learn at least some english.

At some point, the promoting has to count for something. I mean Aldo isn't really trying to sell himself, become the "money fight", while Conor is, arguably, making the UFC more money than they ever seen before.

Any company owner in his right mind would just milk that cash cow bone dry at this point. Most of the time, they try and save face, but at some level, Conor has to be running at least part of the show throughout the FW and LW divisions, should he keep winning (that's an entirely different story all together), that's the potential for History writing right there (even as for today, it's hardly arguable that McGregor has already put his mark on UFC history, whatever happens next).

Aldo should get his rematch, I agree, this would be fair
Conor should be stripped of the FW belt, I also agree, this would be fair

But while Aldo is sitting on his ass, whining and crying, Conor makes the UFC/Zuffa Millions, appealing to new, mainstream fans (without even starring in some B list action flick, he's not off half the year, Rouseying his way onto the big screen). Would you truly expect them to "punish" him or go against him? 205 is going to be a homerun, possibly the most stacked card of the year in a historical moment in time. Do you truly think they'll deprive themselves of their, by far, biggest draw, because it wouldn't be "fair" to some cry baby who had the potential to be a superstar but wouldn't be bothered? Ducked fights, barely fought once a year? Complained extensively and publicly about fighter pay?

For one butt hurt hardcore fan they'll lose with this fight instead of Aldo/McGregor 2 (most will remain and keep watching anyway), they probably get one full bar paying full on PPV bucks and exposing the show to dozens of new potential fans.

As far as the injury thing, we'll never know, maybe he's trying to get in Alvarez head, maybe we'll just never know, it doesn't really matter anyway at this point.

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
technically, you're right, but he had a 13 months layoff between his bouts against Chad Mendes (January 2012) and Frankie Edgar (February 2013), then again a little more than a year between His second bout with Chad (October 2014) and his fight against Conor (December 2015)

Granted, these were due to some mishaps, injuries and whatnot, while Conor didn't defend but still kept fighting. I'd argue that at least Conor isn't shelved during that time and could, if he would, defend his belt. But each of his fight has broken attendance and PPV records, Aldo, really, was never a draw to the point of his skill level, for one who is in all the P4P discussions, he was actually not even in the main, but the co-main event at 3 of his 7 PPV appearances/6 title defenses, to GSP vs Shields (long gone from the UFC), Edgar (yep) vs Maynard (barely relevant anymore) 3, and Barao (has his ups and downs) vs Faber (in pre-retirement) 2

Conor is more active than Aldo never was, and each time he fights, the UFC numbers break records. With Jones doing whatever and Rousey being who knows where, Conor is of upmost importance for the UFC right now (and he knows it), as their only current and extremely active superstar, he is profitable and marketable like no other. Aldo, and I know I'm repeating myself here, wouldn't be bothered to learn at least some english.

At some point, the promoting has to count for something. I mean Aldo isn't really trying to sell himself, become the "money fight", while Conor is, arguably, making the UFC more money than they ever seen before.

Any company owner in his right mind would just milk that cash cow bone dry at this point. Most of the time, they try and save face, but at some level, Conor has to be running at least part of the show throughout the FW and LW divisions, should he keep winning (that's an entirely different story all together), that's the potential for History writing right there (even as for today, it's hardly arguable that McGregor has already put his mark on UFC history, whatever happens next).

Aldo should get his rematch, I agree, this would be fair
Conor should be stripped of the FW belt, I also agree, this would be fair

But while Aldo is sitting on his ass, whining and crying, Conor makes the UFC/Zuffa Millions, appealing to new, mainstream fans (without even starring in some B list action flick, he's not off half the year, Rouseying his way onto the big screen). Would you truly expect them to "punish" him or go against him? 205 is going to be a homerun, possibly the most stacked card of the year in a historical moment in time. Do you truly think they'll deprive themselves of their, by far, biggest draw, because it wouldn't be "fair" to some cry baby who had the potential to be a superstar but wouldn't be bothered? Ducked fights, barely fought once a year? Complained extensively and publicly about fighter pay?

For one butt hurt hardcore fan they'll lose with this fight instead of Aldo/McGregor 2 (most will remain and keep watching anyway), they probably get one full bar paying full on PPV bucks and exposing the show to dozens of new potential fans.

As far as the injury thing, we'll never know, maybe he's trying to get in Alvarez head, maybe we'll just never know, it doesn't really matter anyway at this point.
Thanks for your post, man. I've read everything and it reverts back to the new way if making business and breaking PPV records. I am a fight fan, but the old model is dead and I am having trouble adapting and I understand Aldo too. It is very unnatural to expect a man who only knows how to fight to suddenly become a promoter, a talker. Conor had this pack and this vision naturally. It is simple for him to be polemic, loud and conquer at least curiosity.
I get all that. It was a rich reading.
I only disagree with the "Aldo ducked a fight". Well, I can tell back to you that you are technically right, but it would be Aldo's suicide, beside, it wasn't Aldo who ducked, Dede Pederneiras picked the phone and he said no and that was final. He did the right thing.

·
The Title Guy
17,294 Posts
It could also be Dana trying to sell a PPV. Everyone needs to remember that WME-IMG is trying to pay their investors off and to do that they need to make money. Trying to build an angle like that makes people want to watch Conor lose.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
I do suggest a select few just quit the baiting and get back to normal posting like grown ups please?

I've tidied up this thread, anymore baiting/insults, and bans will be handed out.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Man, when will people learn that everything that comes out of Dana's mouth is a lie unless it's on a day that doesn't end in y?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts