Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy: MMAJunkie
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18882/dana-white-says-wec-48s-mike-brown-battling-personal-problems.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29&utm_content=Twitter
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Former WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown is back to the drawing board after his second WEC loss, which came to Manny Gamburyan Saturday at WEC 48.

And though Brown asked to return to the cage as quickly as possible after losing his WEC belt to Jose Aldo this past November, UFC president Dana White learned the former champion is wrestling with personal demons that took a sizable chunk off his training time for this weekend's fight.

The people who tipped him off might surprise you.

"I was worried that this would come up," White said after WEC 48. "Before the fight started – and I don't want to take anything away from Manny Gamburyan and his win – before the fight started, Jake Shields said to me, 'He's going to lose tonight.'"

Shields, the Strikeforce middleweight champion, attended the Saturday event and shared a cozy moment with White on camera. In several interviews leading up to WEC 48, the UFC president has guaranteed he'll sign the almost-free agent Shields when a non-compete period expires on the fighter's Strikeforce contract.

"I said, 'Why do you think that?'" White recounted. "[Shields] goes, 'He had a horrible camp. His girlfriend broke up with him. He skipped camp for 14 days and all kinds of crazy [expletive].' Jake Shields said that to me before the fight, and so did (trainer) Mark DellaGrotte."

Brown works with American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla. Shields primarily trains at his own gym in Berkeley, Calif., while DellaGrotte trains fighters in his Somerville, Mass.

But MMA is a small business, and everyone knows each other.

Brown, who juggled numerous jobs (including one as a gravedigger) before his WEC contract allowed him to fight fulltime, casually mentioned the breakup to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during a WEC luncheon back in March. Like most fighters, he discussed how difficult it can be to balance professional and personal lives in such a demanding sport.

Prior to the Aldo loss, Brown (23-6 MMA, 5-2 WEC) went undefeated in nearly three years and won his title with a sensational knockout of once-dominant champion Urijah Faber in November 2008.

With the loss to Gamburyan (11-4 MMA, 3-0 WEC), Brown's rematch with current champion Jose Aldo will have to wait.

White said Brown needs to regroup before he's able to return to form.

"I think he'll be back," White said. "He's a great fighter – talented guy. I always say the thing that I respect most about fighters in any fight business is you don't go in as a team and play and say, 'Oh, we lost tonight. That's OK. We still have [expletive] 113 games this season. We'll make it up.'

"When you're a fighter, every time you play, it counts. You have to be mentally strong and prepared all the time. It's tough. He'll be back. I think he'll be back, and he'll still be a force.

"He just has to get his head together and get his personal life together."

I feel bad for the guy. He isn't using any of this an an excuse himself, which makes me like the guy even more.

·
Banned
820 Posts
He seemed much different then when he fought Faber, and even Aldo. Hope he rebounds, and comes back strong.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That could explain part of his loss. But Manny truly deserved to win and that KO was great. Hopefully Mike can get his personal life back together and come back even better than before.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I actually thought he was looking pretty good in the fight (though it was just the fight, not the intros), and it made me real sad how it turned out. Hope he gets everything straightened out, I respect the guy a ton.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
honestly.

is it only a latino thing??

**** being weak for a woman and letting it ruin your life.

take care of your business then worry about that crap.

weak mentality.

flame away. thats a fact. it could be my wife and i wouldnt miss camp. i would deal with the 14 days, win the fight and then deal with life.

thats called manning up. unless your on some kind of drugs and not thinking straight.

i cant stand ppl that are weak mentally.

book him for never being champion again. if a woman can break him by breaking up with him, Aldo will break him easier.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Mike doesn't know how those gossips got that info, he just got hit... :D

Former WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown says he was not distracted by personal issues leading into his fight with Manny Gamburyan this past Saturday at WEC 48.

After Brown suffered a first-round knockout to Gamburyan, UFC president Dana White told reporters that the former champion suffered personal problems in training camp and said he was tipped off to the issue by Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields and famed MMA trainer Mark DellaGrotte.

"I'm not sure where everything's coming from," Brown (23-6 MMA, 5-2 WEC) today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) from American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla. "I've talked to Jake before, and I know Mark. Everybody has issues going on, but it wasn't a factor in my fight."

It was Brown's second WEC loss in three appearances. This past November, he relinquished his 145-pound belt to current champion Jose Aldo, who made his first title defense Saturday against former champion Urijah Faber.

White said Shields told him that Brown had missed two weeks of training camp because of a recently ended relationship.

"He just has to get his head together and get his personal life together," White said at the WEC 48 post-event press conference.

Today, Brown countered that claim and said that his preparation was on target. His plan was to keep the fight on its feet and take advantage of Gamburyan's wild-swinging style. Gamburyan's right hand was the night's true culprit.

"I was training good," he said. "I just got hit with a shot. It's never happened before, man. I've never been hurt.

"I bang every day in the gym, and I go hard when I spar every time."

Other than a bruised ego, Brown said he is fine.

"I'm bummed, man," he said. "It's the first time I've ever been knocked out."

Brown is currently on medical suspension – a formality after knockout losses – but wants to return to the cage as soon as he's able. He is unaware of his suspension's term.

"I don't want to take time off," he said. "I know I have to a little bit. But I'd like to fight on the next show. It just sucks, man. I got hit with one or two punches and got dropped, and they stopped the fight. Five seconds when you get your wits back, you're fine.

"I feel like it wasn't even a fight, which sucks. I could fight today. But unfortunately, that's not how it works."
Link

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mike likely had problems with his head in the fight, but as the above article confirms, he would never admit to it. He got caught and put to sleep. Mike is a true competitor, and a good ambassador of the sport, he'll see plenty of future success.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I am not sure what is going on, but Mike Brown looked a bit timid to engage. He did not look like himself. He said it wasn't personal problems but it could have been a number of things that could lead to a bad fight.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
seems Mike Brown manned up on me and shut my mouth....

guess gotta give the gossip bitch award to Jake Shields. Either way why tell the boss that kind of stuff??

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
honestly.

is it only a latino thing??
I know his name is 'Brown' and everything, but I'm pretty sure he's not Latino. :confused:

And note to self, never tell Dana White anything. He will immediately repeat it to everyone and cite his source.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I knew something was up, his head wasn't in it, he didn't look himself at all. Hopefully he's ok and he'll be back, he can definitely get the title back, its like musical belts there at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts