Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is better, but ironically all have already been beaten. Think we're all rooting for Shogun and Machida. They're light years ahead of their counterparts and pose the biggest risk for a future rematch. I want Shogun to go first then Machida. I truly believe Shogun who's well conditioned is one of the biggest threats in the entire LHW division.

No one can accuse UFC president Dana White of not listening to the fans and being a big enough man to change his mind.

On Monday, White announced that the winner of the UFC on Fox 4 main event between Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Brandon Vera would get the next title shot at 205 pounds.

The shock over the decision came as a surprise to most because the reigning light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones literally walked through both fighters within the last two years.

Add that to the fact that Brandon Vera has gone 1-2 with one no contest in his last four fights, and everyone was left scratching their heads at the mind boggling decision maker by the most powerful man in mixed martial arts.

Even UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones was perplexed at the idea of facing either of those competitors after making a strong case that it should take either of them quite a winning streak to earn another trip to the cage with him.

“Scratching my head,” Jones wrote on Twitter when hit with the news of the new contender to be crowned at UFC on Fox 4.

So after a day of venomous backlash from the masses of UFC fans, White opted to once again open up the light heavyweight title shot to any of the top four competitors competing at UFC on Fox 4 this weekend.

“When the fans speak, we listen. So whoever scores the best win, whoever gets the fans excited by going out there on Saturday and looking the most impressive, he will get the winner of Jones vs. Henderson,” White told MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.

“It is down to what these four guys do Saturday night in the Octagon. Winning isn’t enough, they’ve got to win impressively. Any one of these four fighters can take things into their own hands and make a title shot happen.”

The four guys White referenced include Rua and Vera as well as the other featured light heavyweight tilt between former champion Lyoto Machida and Ryan Bader.

The reigning king at 205 pounds might still be left scratching his head a bit because he’s finished both Machida and Bader as well within the last two years, but his options are now a bit more open.

Jones still has his own big test ahead as he faces former Strikeforce and Pride champion Dan Henderson at UFC 151 coming up in September, and should he lose the belt then it obviously opens up a whole new list of scenarios.

For now though, the four light heavyweights on this weekend’s card are all fighting for something special and the one that puts on the most impressive performance should be a very happy man come Saturday night.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d86KB?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

·
Registered
431 Posts
... does anyone else feel that nothing has changed? :confused02:
I think White has changed his mind from simply giving the winner of Shogun/Vera the next chance too whoever is most impressive in their next win. This is basically White giving Shogun motivation to come in and try too make quick work of Vera/completely beat him down. Hopefully this makes either that fight or Gustafsson's next fight exciting to watch. (Although usually these guys are)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think this is just Dana's way of getting the best performance out of the four involved. Realistically speaking they can sell any fight except the Machida fight. His last fight was a loss to a champ, he cant possibly win one fight and get another title shot...what division is this Bantamweight?

·
Cruz Control
9,159 Posts
"I listen to you guys and I give you the fights you want"

NONE OF US WANT TO SEE ANY OF THESE ******* FIGHTS!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Im happy to see the UFC is humble enough to listen to the fans instead of just saying "the fans are stupid and will buy whatever we sell" this is dana admitting he ****ed up and i think thats cool

Ppl can bitch all they want but the reality is there isnt any1 else ready to fight JBJ..gus is healing up and needs an impreasive win against a top guy to hype him up....and the other "prospects" are even further than Gus, every champ ends up fighting some guys 2x why should the UFC feed jones potential contenders right now? Then all hia future fights are rematches?? He wont go to HW that fast

Also we had the risk of vera and shogun fighting safe to secure a title shot, now they have to go balls out, i think dana should do this more often, the co main events and main events would be better

And i hope machida does another karate kid kick because his rematch is the only interesting one (kind of)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If DW was actually listening to the damn fans he'd know that most fans don't want ANY of those guys to fight for the title again yet. Wouldn't most people rather see someone Jones hasn't crushed in the last two years?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Because he's old and slow and 13.5 inches too far away to do anything.
alright, so why give him the shot in the first place?

Didn't he just beat Shogun? Shogun who's regarded right now as a contender again. And it was a 5 rounds war, not a fluke.

if the outcome is pre-determined as many of you may believe (seeing your comments), what's the point of watching? and how is it different than WWE?

as far as I'm concerned, Hendo is the current #1 contender at LHW, and his spot is one of the most legitimate in the division as for today.

In a perfect world, we'd have hendo getting the belt (that'd be a fairy tale-like scenario tho) and hendo/rua rematch for the LHW belt

Truth is, yes there are few legitimate contenders at LHW, the division has big names but Jones is the only one under 30yo (if not 35).

Hi did beat legends of the sport in Rua, Machida, Rampage or Evans (to a lesser extent), but realistically

Rampage is clearly not the same since he tasted some hollywood

Will Rua ever be the same after those surgeries?

Evans doesn't want to do anything with Jones anymore

Alright, Machida may still be a threat, but realistically he's probably closer to the end of his career, age wise.

Vera? Bader? yea right! I'm not sure any of them have the kind of win to grant them a title shot right now, (or not anymore).

Bader got subbed by Tito and then fought an injured, unmotivated and out of shape Rampage. in what universe one win would grant him a direct title shot? He'd probably get tooled by either jones or hendo.

At that point, give Phil Davis a shot too

I'm no Jones fan, and I'm often rooting for the underdog, but hendo has as much chance as anyone else to beat Jones (which isn't much, probably) with one difference: he still hangs with the big boys, despite his age.

But counting him out right now is kind of disrespectful.

And if Jones is looking past him, it may be a fatal mistake on his part because he won't be in the right mindset entering the cage.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
If DW was actually listening to the damn fans he'd know that most fans don't want ANY of those guys to fight for the title again yet. Wouldn't most people rather see someone Jones hasn't crushed in the last two years?

So who would you pick for his next(assuming he beats Hendo)?

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
But counting him out right now is kind of disrespectful.
Yep. That exactly why I'm doing it.

I don't like Hendo... In case that isn't clear. I would love to see him stopped again. It doesn't happen very often. He's a hardcore mother****er unfortunately.

But seriously, I'm not usually one to make confident predictions on fights, but this one? I just cant see Hendo doing anything to Bones. To get past the 13 inch reach advantage to lad his bomb, is going to take some serious speed, which Hendo simply doesn't have. As discussed previously, Machida managed it for one round and he's probably the best at LHW for getting inside at speed.

I dunno. The fight seems pointless to me. Hendo has no chance.

If he somehow manges to win... I cant stay miserable about it. It would be an awesome achievement and I would be proud of the toothless old c*unt. :hug:

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
alright, so why give him the shot in the first place?

[...]

And if Jones is looking past him, it may be a fatal mistake on his part because he won't be in the right mindset entering the cage.
Just because everyone accepts Henderson is bound to loose doesn't mean we just don't have any future contenders, even if we are just lining them up to fail e.g. Andy Silva.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
So who would you pick for his next(assuming he beats Hendo)?
If Gustaffson wins one more fight, then him if it has to be a LHW. Personally I think most fans, if given the choice (Which is what you do Dana right? You're listening to us, remember?), would like to see in order:

1) A. Silva move up and fight Jones. Seems pretty reasonable since both guys have pretty much cleaned their divisions and Silva has fought at LHW before. If that isn't the fight most fans want I'll eat my hat.

2) Jones move up to HW and test the waters against a middling dude similar to Silva-Irvin.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
"I listen to you guys and I give you the fights you want"

NONE OF US WANT TO SEE ANY OF THESE ******* FIGHTS!
No kidding, I honestly have no desire to see any of these rematches. It's not like either fighter would deserve it anyway. They'd only be getting a title shot because of the timing. Shogun would be coming off of one win against a guy who is 1-2 in his last 3 fights(1-3 if you count his loss that was overturned) with Vera's only win being against a BJJ fighter who is now retired, and he barely beat him at that. Machida on the other hand would also be coming off of only one win after just getting choked unconscious by Jones.

Machida would have a slightly bigger case because his fight with Jones was competitive, and Bader is a legit top 10 fighter. Shogun was dominated by Jones and would be beating Vera, a guy who hasn't looked good in a long time and is nowhere near the top 10 at the moment. I don't care how exciting his fight with Henderson was, he still lost and that shouldn't move him that far up the ladder. His win before that over Griffin was quick, but let's be real, Griffin hasn't look good in a while either. I wouldn't be surprised if he were only in it for the pay check at this point.

That being said, I do understand why they are doing this. It's the timing, and Machida and Shogun are big names. I just wouldn't get excited to see either rematch at the moment. It's too soon for Machida, and Shogun hasn't shown me anything that would suggest a rematch would go differently yet. Of course that's just my opinion.

·
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WHAT IF...Shogun wins impressively as expected.

and...

Hendo goes for broke in the first round knowing he has no chance in the latter rounds and somehow pulls it off.

Wouldn't that be hilarious...Hendo vs Shogun II!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts