Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During an early afternoon break, I caught up with UFC President Dana White via text message. Here’s the gist of what we covered:

CD: Shogun’s manager recently said that if Randy Couture gets past James Toney, he could see Randy being Rua’s first title defense. Is that a possibility?

DW: The winner of the Rampage Jackson vs Rashad Evans fight will get the first shot at Shogun.

No time to relax for Shogun.

This makes sense, and is also a little surprising. The 205 belt is historically difficult to successfully defend, and Dana, Joe Silva, and company are wasting no time giving Shogun a challenge. Look for that fight sometime in the fall, barring injuries.

CD: Now that you’ve cut Kimbo Slice, any parting thoughts?

DW: I have nothing but respect for Kimbo. I wish him well.

As expected. I was one of many who thought the dude was a freak show, and he proved me wrong. Yeah, he’s not a UFC caliber dude, but he took it seriously, and tried hard. I think Kimbo was a victim (if you can call it that) of the YouTube and EliteXC personas that were pushed and promoted. I question the use of “victim” because he made quite a bit of money off that persona, but at the same time it propped up expectations a little too high.

CD: Koscheck and GSP? Aren’t you worried that might be boring? Were you rooting for Semtex just a little?

DW: LOL, you’re such an internet goof! Listen, everyone was smashing this season cause of Chuck and Tito, and every episode has done 2 million viewers. Its out rated the NBA playoffs in the demographic. Come on.

Easy to see where he’s going. As the Zuffa PR machine has proven in the past, they could turn Grandma vs Grandma into a battle for the ages with the right editing. There were quite a few people bitching that both Liddell and Ortiz were irrelevant, yet the returns on this season ratings-wise have been good. A quick check of the male 18-34 demo showed that White is speaking the truth, as TUF has edged the TNT/TBS combo of NBA playoffs when they overlap.

CD: Speaking of the internet, I know you read the UG (mma.tv’s forum), when are you getting this Sean McCorkle guy in the octagon? Undefeated and GINOURMOUS….what’s up?

DW: I don’t know who he is.

CD: Ahh. Big giant dude, hasn’t lost, sounds like a good guy. Check him out. What’s next for Lyoto Machida?

DW: Honestly, I don’t know yet.
SOURCE

i was worry randy couture will get the title shot for a second .

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I hope shoguns stays champ til Lyoto can climb his way back up for an epic rematch. It makes me tear a little just thinking about how it wont be til late 2011' before that ever happens, by then Andy will have had his lhw shot and nab that belt hopefully :)

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Well the way I see it, Rashad takes out Rampage, and Shogun wrecks him. Either way, Shogun keeps his belt - there's no way either can beat him, his striking is just way too advanced and diverse for either of them. Also, Shogun showed a great ability to get back to his feet after being taken down by Lyoto so it'll be difficult for Rashad to LnP him.

·
Banned
689 Posts
sorry boys but machida is not getting that belt back

·
Registered
504 Posts
Both fights are interesting for Rua.

Rashard - New challenger and good wrestler. So he can prove that he can beat that type of fighter.

Rampage - Hungry Rampage for revange. No soccer kicks. Rampage is exposed for leg kicks - we know what kicks Shogun has.

Personally I root for Page in Rashard/Jackson fight but rather see Rashard fighting Shogun. I want to see if he is able to beat young dynamic wrestler. (I know that Monster was beast that time, but anyway)

I dont see this fight like Rashard/T. Silva. Shogun will not fool around.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Couture was never going to get the next shot. He's effectively signed to fight James Toney at UFC 118. I thought the first shot would either go to Rampage/Rashad or Forrest. Unsurprising that it'll be the winner of Rampage/Rashad.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Good. Hopefully one of them beats shogun, then machida beats them to get the title back.

I'm not a huge fan of shogun. I like rampage and rashad, but I like machida better.
I know the person who takes revenge at Shogun! The Spider will do it :thumbsup:

This is the perfect scenario for a Shogun/Silva fight in the near future.

Namely, after Shogun and Silva defended there belt's at there current weight class, Silva should move up and take a Title fight at 205 to avenge Lyoto's defeat. Silva then vacates the LHW belt and drops back down to MW so that he doesn't block Lyoto's path to another Title triumph.

I think Silva is the man for this job! By this time Lyoto has 1 or 2 victories and get's back what is his!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts

Namely, after Shogun and Silva defended there belt's at there current weight class, Silva should move up and take a Title fight at 205 to avenge Lyoto's defeat. Silva then vacates the LHW belt and drops back down to MW so that he doesn't block Lyoto's path to another Title triumph.

I think Silva is the man for this job! By this time Lyoto has 1 or 2 victories and get's back what is his!!!
Im not sure if Silva will get an instant title shot.

If Silva win LHW belt I dont see him vacate it.

Anyway very funny post you wrote :) Machida is unable to beat Shogun so his friend need to do it? Wow what a champ :thumb02:

Some fans of Machida are just ridiculous.

Reactions: Adam365

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Well the way I see it, Rashad takes out Rampage, and Shogun wrecks him. Either way, Shogun keeps his belt - there's no way either can beat him, his striking is just way too advanced and diverse for either of them. Also, Shogun showed a great ability to get back to his feet after being taken down by Lyoto so it'll be difficult for Rashad to LnP him.
This is a gross oversimplification of the fighting styles. Machida has great sumo/judo take downs but he doesn't have the top control or ground and pound that Evans has. Shogun does have a good ability to get back up, but he got controlled and gassed hard against Coleman and won in a lack luster decision. And he's been taken down by every fighter he's faced in the UFC so there's no doubt he'll get taken down by Evens. Obviously Shoguns cardio is much better now, but Evans has the ability to push him much farther than Coleman ever could. I think if I were to call the fight right now I'd favor Shogun, but to say there's "no way" Evans could win is basically absurd.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is a gross oversimplification of the fighting styles. Machida has great sumo/judo take downs but he doesn't have the top control or ground and pound that Evans has. Shogun does have a good ability to get back up, but he got controlled and gassed hard against Coleman and won in a lack luster decision. And he's been taken down by every fighter he's faced in the UFC so there's no doubt he'll get taken down by Evens. Obviously Shoguns cardio is much better now, but Evans has the ability to push him much farther than Coleman ever could. I think if I were to call the fight right now I'd favor Shogun, but to say there's "no way" Evans could win is basically absurd.
Only way Evans could win the fight is to grind out decision.

He hardly outstrikes/KOs/submits Shogun.

Edit: So basicly I dont write him off but only way to win it is kinda way like he did with T.Silva.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Solid defense for Shogun... Rampage is a such a different fighter now than he was in PRIDE, he seems to have more power in his hands and is a bit more accurate...

Plus he learned a valuable lesson when it comes to leg kicks in the Forrest fight.. I'd love to see a rematch...

Rasad on the other hand IMO is a bad striking matchup for Rua... he may be able to get some work in with his wrestling but I really doubt it.. Shogun needs to sharpen his TDD and scrambles up starting now just in case though..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Both fights are interesting for Rua.

Rashard - New challenger and good wrestler. So he can prove that he can beat that type of fighter.

Rampage - Hungry Rampage for revange. No soccer kicks. Rampage is exposed for leg kicks - we know what kicks Shogun has.

Personally I root for Page in Rashard/Jackson fight but rather see Rashard fighting Shogun. I want to see if he is able to beat young dynamic wrestler. (I know that Monster was beast that time, but anyway)

I dont see this fight like Rashard/T. Silva. Shogun will not fool around.
I understand once, but 4 times?!?! It's Rashad, not Rashard.

Regardless, I'm not sure if Shogun is a good fight for either one of them. I don't see either of them getting past Shogun. Rampage has a better chance than Rashad IMO because he has heavier hands, and Shogun will be less inclined to take risks in that fight.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Rashad vs Rua = Rua TKO/Sub
Rampage vs Rua = tough fight..cant say but id be pulling for Rampage

Rampage is a better fighter since their last matchup, and he actually has the strength to be in close with Rua to prevent those long leg kicks. I would much rather see Rampage vs Rua so I am hoping he KOs Rashad.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Im not sure if Silva will get an instant title shot.

If Silva win LHW belt I dont see him vacate it.

Anyway very funny post you wrote :) Machida is unable to beat Shogun so his friend need to do it? Wow what a champ :thumb02:

Some fans of Machida are just ridiculous.
Relax! Where did I say, that Lyoto can not beat Shogun?? :confused02: He already did it one's in his career, if you have already forgotten, buddy! Of course Lyoto can beat Shogun again NO QUESTION about that. But for now, he needs at least 1, 2 matches to grind his way back up to the belt. And thats why I said, now is the perfect time for a Shogun/Silva fight. I thought you all where soooo thrilled about it..:confused05: guess not anymore!

Silva would beat Shogun and of course he would vacate the belt, just for his brother Lyoto :thumbsup:

easy as that!

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts

Give it a rest bobby. You're starting to sound like me re: Randy. You don't really want Machida's big brother to take his belt back for him, you want him to heal up get his head on straight and get a couple of wins. By the time he does that there is no telling who'll be champ in this division.:thumb02:

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Solid defense for Shogun... Rampage is a such a different fighter now than he was in PRIDE, he seems to have more power in his hands and is a bit more accurate...

Plus he learned a valuable lesson when it comes to leg kicks in the Forrest fight.. I'd love to see a rematch...

Rasad on the other hand IMO is a bad striking matchup for Rua... he may be able to get some work in with his wrestling but I really doubt it.. Shogun needs to sharpen his TDD and scrambles up starting now just in case though..
I see Shogun chopping Rampage´s legs into verbal submission.

Perhaps Evans has a chance of winning by points if he manages not to get KOed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.