Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
.:Jeet Kune Do:.
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Here we go. Alistair Overeem is gonna be the new guy? Alistsair Overeem got knocked out by Chuck Liddell at 205. You know what’s funny? Because we don’t have him signed he’ll be the new guy. The guy that Chuck knocked out at 205. All the UFC haters will be like, ‘oh yeah, this guy is the best.’ And all the idiot websites will rank him the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world."

Source-http://www.mmamania.com/

·
Premium Member
982 Posts

This seems out of context. What was the questions leading up to this response?
Yea, Dana is out of context. Mostly the fact that he fought Chuck 7 years ago in a ring when he was 23 years old, skinny as a bean pole and jumped around the ring using a fighting style that could only be described as "whirling dervish". I love Dana, but he can be such a twat sometimes. Oh well.

edit: oh Dana! Let's not forget he has TWO wins over a certain guy in line for a title shot and who you claim is a huge threat to a person who YOU claim IS the P4P best in the world. Guess who that is? Vitor Belfort:cheeky4:

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is a year ago,, why is dana hating??? because ali is getting some publicity? cmon dana this is just stupid!! SIGN THE MONSTER

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I wonder what the outcome would be if they foufgt next week..lol:confused02::thumb02:
Chuck! By being able to take more nut shots than Overeem.

I wish Chuck still had a chin and everybody still respected him as a fighter nowadays... Makes me sad when my childhood hero is never given good odds to beat anyone...:sad02:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Overeem has gotten better since his fight with Chuck but alot of people overrate him in MMA. People look at his K-1 fights with Badr Hari and Remy and think wow noone can stand with this guy, but striking in K-1 under K-1 rules is alot different than striking in MMA were takedowns are in play, you fight in an 8 sided cage, and you have small 4 oz. gloves. It's the same thing as a boxer coming over to MMA, different rules, different gloves, different sport. Overeem is a top 10 HW but is still unproven since all he's done is beat cans. I would love to see him fight in the UFC at HW.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dana should finally start to get him into the UFC instead of talking crap about him.

PS: He even owned Chuck in that fight until a lucky overhand right!
That overhand right has nothing to do with luck, it was Chuck's bread and butter for years. That said, there's no way in hell Chuck could beat Overeem today. We all know Dana can be a douche bag at times, but if he wants to discredit Overeem, then sign him and have one of your middle teir HW's beat him. I'm a fan of all 3 of these guys but to say that that fight today would have the same result is ludicrous. This whole "he couldn't stand with our guys" (insert name and organization) is just mental masturbation. Wouldn't it be sweet if at the end of the year they had some sort of tourney where the top 2 from each weight class and organization fought. Now that's some serious mental wacking off.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Overeem has gotten better since his fight with Chuck but alot of people overrate him in MMA. People look at his K-1 fights with Badr Hari and Remy and think wow noone can stand with this guy, but striking in K-1 under K-1 rules is alot different than striking in MMA were takedowns are in play, you fight in an 8 sided cage, and you have small 4 oz. gloves. It's the same thing as a boxer coming over to MMA, different rules, different gloves, different sport. Overeem is a top 10 HW but is still unproven since all he's done is beat cans. I would love to see him fight in the UFC at HW.
Overeem is the Strikeforce HW champ, how can you imply he doesn't know mma? If I'm not mistaken he has a better record in mma then K-1, granted he's had more fights in K-1 then mma but he's no stranger to either. I do know that he caught a lot of shit for saying that mma is harder to master and be good at then K-1.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Overeem is the Strikeforce HW champ, how can you imply he doesn't know mma? If I'm not mistaken he has a better record in mma then K-1, granted he's had more fights in K-1 then mma but he's no stranger to either. I do know that he caught a lot of shit for saying that mma is harder to master and be good at then K-1.

Where did I say "he doesnt know MMA"? He fought for a long time in PRIDE and I watched all his fights there. Prior to his K-1 streak nobody considered Overeem the monster he is percieved to be currently. I was referring to the tons of poster's that say Overeem is the best striker at HW and that nobody can stand with him based off his K-1 performances. I've been following MMA for about 6 years I know Overeem but alot of people think he's untouchable on the feet in MMA based on his K-1 bouts, I don't think that's accurate. Since moving to HW in MMA he hasnt fought top guys or even mid tier guys, he's fought cans and a guy barely above a can in Brett Rogers. He is unproven at Heavyweight in MMA, the 205 Overeem is alot different than HW Overeem. The only reason people consider him as good as he is hyped is 100% because of what he's done in K-1 not what he did in MMA and what I was trying to imply is that success in K-1 which is completely different doesn't automatically translate over to MMA. Overeem is a much better striker under K-1 rules than he ever was in MMA.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
I think he's way, WAY over rated for beating another guy who I thought was not very good at all (Brett Rogers). I understand he has a resume with much more on it, but a lot of this talk seems to have popped up just because he tossed a completely inferior and intimidated fighter in Rogers.

He's accomplished some sick things in his career, but there has NEVER been any sign of consistency with him and I'm not convinced he won't just get laid on or flash KO'd a lot in a top 10 UFC career.

If I was Dana, how could I not feel the same way? Look at the guys last 10 fights and look at the easy wins for a guy of his supposed skill level.

Do I hate a HW world class kickboxer fighting in the UFC????? NO!!!! I would love it! But I don't buy the hype. Overeem has been broken before and he definitely will be many more times if he starts fighting top 10 again.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Where did I say "he doesnt know MMA"? He fought for a long time in PRIDE and I watched all his fights there. Prior to his K-1 streak nobody considered Overeem the monster he is percieved to be currently. I was referring to the tons of poster's that say Overeem is the best striker at HW and that nobody can stand with him based off his K-1 performances. I've been following MMA for about 6 years I know Overeem but alot of people think he's untouchable on the feet in MMA based on his K-1 bouts, I don't think that's accurate. Since moving to HW in MMA he hasnt fought top guys or even mid tier guys, he's fought cans and a guy barely above a can in Brett Rogers. He is unproven at Heavyweight in MMA, the 205 Overeem is alot different than HW Overeem. The only reason people consider him as good as he is hyped is 100% because of what he's done in K-1 not what he did in MMA and what I was trying to imply is that success in K-1 which is completely different doesn't automatically translate over to MMA. Overeem is a much better striker under K-1 rules than he ever was in MMA.
Well, you only have to take a look on how he lost at 205. Overeem owned almost anybody on the feet back in Pride. He won the striking exchanges against Shogun, Chuck, Werdum, Belfort.. he only lost because he had to drain his body on such a huge amount every time and gassed out quickly. Shogun and almost all of the others had to take him down and wear him out to win the fight by submission.
But now that Overeem is a HW, completely in shape and extremely strong tells me that it won't be easy to take him down now. He probably worked on his Wrestling and BJJ too.

And now take a look at the current UFC Roster. Who do you possibly see him losing too on the feet?? There is nobody right now except maybe JDS. But JDS is just a Boxer! Thats the only thing he does. Now we have Kongo.. Gilbert.. Duffee.. Mir.. thats it. There is nobody!
The really strong Wrestlers like Brock and Cain could and probably would beat him yes. But there is no striker who Overeem shouldn't have an advantage on right now.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Dana White is pissed because is showing to the other fighters that there´s life outside UFC.
He stated this openly after Roger´s fight and in my opinion that was huge and i can only imagine Dana getting real pissed about it.
He is opening a path for fighters to realise that it´s possible to fight in more than one org and more than 2 or 3times a year (pat barry made 11k for fighting CC :( ), earning with that more money and glory.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, you only have to take a look on how he lost at 205. Overeem owned almost anybody on the feet back in Pride. He won the striking exchanges against Shogun, Chuck, Werdum, Belfort.. he only lost because he had to drain his body on such a huge amount every time and gassed out quickly. Shogun and almost all of the others had to take him down and wear him out to win the fight by submission.
But now that Overeem is a HW, completely in shape and extremely strong tells me that it won't be easy to take him down now. He probably worked on his Wrestling and BJJ too.

And now take a look at the current UFC Roster. Who do you possibly see him losing too on the feet?? There is nobody right now except maybe JDS. But JDS is just a Boxer! Thats the only thing he does. Now we have Kongo.. Gilbert.. Duffee.. Mir.. thats it. There is nobody!
The really strong Wrestlers like Brock and Cain could and probably would beat him yes. But there is no striker who Overeem shouldn't have an advantage on right now.
I do think Overeem is good but I'm not gonna hype him through the roof until he goes out and proves it. He didnt suck at 205 but he was always on the tail end of the top 10 and was never in the top 3 or 5, which doesn't mean he wasnt good it's just that 205 has always been the deepest and most talented division. I think JDS could stand with Overeem, Anderson if he fought at HW, I dont know what's wrong with being a boxer, boxing has been one of the most effective techniques over the last century. Overeem is a bully and the problem with bully type fighter's is when they meet reisistance they crumble.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I do think Overeem is good but I'm not gonna hype him through the roof until he goes out and proves it. He didnt suck at 205 but he was always on the tail end of the top 10 and was never in the top 3 or 5, which doesn't mean he wasnt good it's just that 205 has always been the deepest and most talented division. I think JDS could stand with Overeem, Anderson if he fought at HW, I dont know what's wrong with being a boxer, boxing has been one of the most effective techniques over the last century. Overeem is a bully and the problem with bully type fighter's is when they meet reisistance they crumble.
Just a Boxer means he is just a Boxer. Overeem is K-1 Level Striker! Now let James Toney fight Semmy Schilt.. and we will see what happens. Or to be fair, let Klitschko fight Semmi Schilt.

Overeem was still extremely young when he fought in Pride. Started his career with 19 years of age already.

Plus like you said, he steps from the by far strongest division in MMA into the by far weakest Division. Thats a huge huge change for him.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts